Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Q LNB or new dish?

This is a discussion on Sky Q LNB or new dish? within the Sky Q forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I'm thinking about ordering Sky Q. I've got Sky+ multiroom already, with Sky Q is the old dish replaced or ...

stevie5tapes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: brighouse
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Sky Q LNB or new dish?

I'm thinking about ordering Sky Q. I've got Sky+ multiroom already, with Sky Q is the old dish replaced or is the LNB replaced only, or is new cabling required ? The reason I ask is that the I had my house rendered after I had sky installed a few years back, my dish is on a swan neck fitting so I think that could be changed with out a problem but I don't want a new cable showing on the outside of my house.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Q LNB or new dish?

Provided that there aren't any problems with the existing cables all that will be required is for the LNB to be changed. If you are having Sky Q silver then the multiroom TV will be fed from a Sky Q mini box which doesn't require any connection to the dish.

The two redundant cables, if left disconnected, should be sealed to prevent ingress of moisture in case you require to use them at a later date.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

AFAIK SKY Q installs are taking way over the suggested time since the engineers are currently being told they should remove any/all existing unused cabling. So they have been assigned 72 minutes for a SkyQ but I have heard of up to 4 hrs being required for the box and 2 rooms when additional cabling needs to be removed (staff installs -so far )
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      AFAIK SKY Q installs are taking way over the suggested time since the engineers are currently being told they should remove any/all existing unused cabling. So they have been assigned 72 minutes for a SkyQ but I have heard of up to 4 hrs being required for the box and 2 rooms when additional cabling needs to be removed (staff installs -so far )
      That unused cabling, is the cables for households with a multi setup, not outside cabling. Also would be coax and magic eyes to remove.
      If the current dish and cabling is ok to the main box, they will leave it be. Its just the lnb that gets swapped.
      They also are having to setup new hubs, for those that have not done so already, can see delays there when people with an opportunity are making sure their pc/tablets/phone/other devices etc all still work.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I can't see a Sky engineer removing cabling which has been incorporated into the structure of a property and to cut back the ends of such cables is nothing short of vandalism.

It would be useful to get some feedback from someone who has already had a Sky Q (staff) install.

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

If the OP has a old dish on a swan neck pole that needs removing and a new dish installed. If the feeds (cable) is single providing its not weathered gone hard, brittle it should be fine but I would use new to be on the safe side.

Old feeds (cable) is the customers property and by removing old feeds you may cause damage to the render, walls etc so I have a tendency to leave old feeds in if the customer needs them but a SkyQ install is one twin feed to the main SkyQ STB and that's it, the use of a Hybrid LNB is dependent if the customer is viewing other services from other providers in different rooms.

If the main feed is ok then its just a LNB change to a WB and that's it.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to The Realist For This Useful Post:

seawright (26-02-16)

skyexpert is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: ER110
      Thanks

Just to answer this in a simple way.
      Only a new LNB is required. If the rest of your equipment is fine there is no need to change it.

stevie5tapes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: brighouse
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Thanks for all the replies, if I go ahead and get Sky Q it sounds like a fairly simple installation job providing the cable is ok. The cabling is 7 years old, I've not had any viewing problems, touch wood it will be fine for Sky Q.