Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sky Movies - ReOrganised!

This is a discussion on Sky Movies - ReOrganised! within the Sky Movies forums, part of the Sky TV Channels category; How about a DEDICATED Adults Movie Channel? Sex Sells? [not that I care]...

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky Movies - ReOrganised!

How about a DEDICATED Adults Movie Channel? Sex Sells?
      [not that I care]

2. Advertisement
      monstermind is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Have you taken into consideration that Sky could have negotiated a better deal for these movies?

IE they said to the Studios, we want more for less?
      Yes, I'm willing to accept that perhaps some of Sky's savings come from better negotiation. I'm also happy to concede that a percentage of the savings comes from the weakness of the dollar, since most of the content is from the US. Nice of them to pass on the savings to customers, eh?

I was just responding to the previous post regarding sky's investment in movies, and pointing out that it's not accurate to say that Sky's investment remains unchanged.

Sky's strategy is to spend less on movies, and no matter how we dress up the skills of their negotiators or the exchange rate, you will not get the same quality of content if you're commited to slashing your movie budget year on year.

I have absolutely no idea how negotiations for movie rights go, though I do know that the price depends on the potential market for the given platform. Sky said as much when their movie budget was rising in the early noughties, that they had to pay more for the same quality of content due to the increase in subscribers.

So the studios would expect to be paid more for a title provided to 5m sky movie subscribers today, than it would for a similar-grossing title provided to 4.3m subscribers 2 years ago.

If the studios are therefore expecting maybe 15% more money than 2 years ago, on a like for like basis for a similar title, and sky are consistently getting the same quality of title for 20% less than two years ago, that's some negotiating!!

I've no big gripe with Sky, I couldn't do without it to be honest, I just feel that the Movies are worse value for money than they were, and the upcoming re-branding just makes it worse again, that's all.
      Last edited by monstermind; 04-04-07 at 02:41 PM. Reason: ommission

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I'm not in favour of this change (as I said elsewhere) but what I don't understand is, why do we need this Premiere channel that is showing the same films and the same times each day and still have a Premiere +1 channel ?

I'll probably end up cancelling them in July anyway.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monstermind View Post
      Sky's strategy is to spend less on movies, and no matter how we dress up the skills of their negotiators or the exchange rate, you will not get the same quality of content if you're commited to slashing your movie budget year on year.
      Well as I work for myself, if I commit myself to x amount of products at y price from my suppliers, I can now still buy exactly the same product at a lower price, this I can then choose to pass onto those who buy off me or restock / reinvest into my business.

However, I am still buying exactly the same item, at a lower price, so yes the same quality is there.

From what I can see there are still 450 movies being shown, yes it would be nice to go to say 500 but how much time have we got ourselves? I couldn't watch all of them even if I wanted to.

I can however pay Sky to watch one or go to Blockbusters. I would rather stay in my house though instead of driving 3 or so miles to rent one, in reality its a convenience factor I suppose.

Thats exactly where Sky were smart, they negotiated cheaper prices buying from VM and then increasing theirs selling to VM. Virgin Media really need to improve their negotiation process or sack those that negotiated the new contracts.

Sky can now use the money they have budgeted to spend on films etc and offer things like Free or Cheap Broadband, without spending any more than they did last year. Hope that makes sense
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

That's a valid point of view, if you don't feel that the quality of Sky's movie package has declined as the budget has fallen. I personally feel that it has, but I'm happy to concede that I may be in the minority here.

I also personally feel that so long as the movie budget keeps falling, the situation is unlikely to improve, regardless of how magnificent the buying team may be.

Certainly the choice has now been curtailed with the re-branding, if you want to watch movies during the day.

As for using the savings in Sky's movie budget to offer free or cheap broadband, again fair enough. But if you're prepared to make this link then doesn't that mean that Movies customers who are off-net, or who don't want broadband, are then effectively contributing towards the cost of other customers' broadband, rather than having the savings passed on to them in their monthly subs? Lucky us!

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monstermind View Post
      That's a valid point of view, if you don't feel that the quality of Sky's movie package has declined as the budget has fallen. I personally feel that it has, but I'm happy to concede that I may be in the minority here.
      That's the sticking point here, the budget has not been cut in the way as they can buy less, they have saved spending more money for exactly the same, just like when you go Asda, you buy one get one free.

I also personally feel that so long as the movie budget keeps falling, the situation is unlikely to improve, regardless of how magnificent the buying team may be.
      See above answer

Certainly the choice has now been curtailed with the re-branding, if you want to watch movies during the day.
      Fair comment

As for using the savings in Sky's movie budget to offer free or cheap broadband, again fair enough. But if you're prepared to make this link then doesn't that mean that Movies customers who are off-net, or who don't want broadband, are then effectively contributing towards the cost of other customers' broadband, rather than having the savings passed on to them in their monthly subs? Lucky us!
      But the Movie watchers who are not on Sky Broadband are still getting the 450 movies, as for subsidising others, that's another fair point, but that happens in every aspect of business that I have worked for, you have to take the rough with the smooth.

An example of this is fixed cost repairs, ie 20.00 it might take 10 mins for one customer, but then 6 hours for another. The 10 minute customer pays or compensates for those customers that the job can take 6 hours. The snag is though if every customers' repair took 6 hours, you would go bust.

I would much rather see a reduction in subscriptions, that is one point that I cannot argue against as I do agree, as for me personally I watch a film about once a month if that.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank you, NewreadeR, you've been very patient with me!! I think we just have a difference in opinion on whether the quality of Sky's movies package has got worse since they started spending less each year. I think the quality has fallen, you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      That's the sticking point here, the budget has not been cut in the way as they can buy less, they have saved spending more money for exactly the same, just like when you go Asda, you buy one get one free.

I accept that the number of movies being shown is the same, and Sky still show about 250 new movies a year. I also accept that of course it is possible to spend less and get the same.

But quantity and quality are two completely different things. A straight-to-dvd movie will cost a lot less than a megatitle grossing hundreds of millions at the box office. Not always an accurate indication of the movie's quality, perhaps, but certainly a good indication of its popularity.

I feel that as a result of spending less, Sky are picking up more of their premiere movies from the "bargain bin" - movies that did rubbish at the box office, or that didn't even get a UK cinema release. As a result, the quality of the package has fallen.

That's just my humble opinion, based on what I see in the listings, and the number of Sky movies I watch now compared to a few years ago!! My experience and opinion may be completely different from others.

I just felt like having a little grumble about it, because the way the movies package has been re-branded doesn't suit me as well as it might suit others. So as a result I'll probably watch even less!

fredwestie is offline DLM Admin
      Exchange: Shepherds Bush
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

And of course don't forget the biggest driver of movie quality is what Hollywood actualy put out. Sky's studio deals mean it gets about 95% of all Hollywood output. And it invests heavily in independent and world cinema. If Holywood and the Indies have a great year (like the last one) sky movies content is good. If it's a bad year (like a couple of years ago) the content is not as good. For me it's all about quality and nothing shows movies in their full glory like HD. I spend my time in front of a big HD Bravia watching HD movies. I love it. Other people love sport (I don't) care about the car they drive (I don't) or eat out a lot (I, well, ok I do that too).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12