Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

remove parental control for movies

This is a discussion on remove parental control for movies within the Sky Movies forums, part of the Sky TV Channels category; I do not see why adult households cannot have the option to remove a nugatory control....

mikekoi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01934
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: remove parental control for movies

I do not see why adult households cannot have the option to remove a nugatory control.

2. Advertisement
      simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Theres an option "PIN on Pre-Watershed Playback" which may or may not disable this I havent tried it myself though!

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

roybigboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

doesnt work

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Thanks

I have just turned Parental control off again (Disabled) and I watched an 18 rated film this afternoon on Sky Anytime without being prompted for a pin number. I was wondering has the pin protection changed. Also has it worked for anyone else

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Interesting, that works for me too on Anytime, but if you try to watch a 15-18 rated movie on the normal menu, it requires a PIN.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

good way around it is to start recording a movie off the EPG and then go to the planner and start watching the recording.

Hey presto no pin number required if you have set it up like this.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      good way around it is to start recording a movie off the EPG and then go to the planner and start watching the recording.

Hey presto no pin number required if you have set it up like this.
      That doesn't work on mine, but even so, what is easier, starting to record then going to the planner and starting to watch, or simply keying in 1111 and starting to watch. Personally I don't see why putting in a PIN should be a problem, it only takes a second or so. If anyone is worried about wasting so little time, they should probably not be watching TV at all.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Thanks

Hi Adrian all I did was to watch a 18 film and it started without asking for the pin. But tried below
      I thought I would try again this time I tried a Sky 1 last part of Sleepy Head and that ask for the pin. So I wonder is it some will and some will not.

Dezzy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01388
      Broadband ISP: talktalk
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I find it annoying also, but to be totally honest, anyone that has time to come on here surely has time to type 4 digits in on a remote ?

I got sky today, but I was a sky customer maybe 10 years ago, so decided to take the plunge again due to more movie channels available today ect.... Back when I had it last, there was a handful of movie channels, I did like the old system mind when you could make a one off payment of about 290 or their about's.....

dewdude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verizon
      Broadband ISP: Verizon FiOS (Fibre)
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Over here, there was always complaints about parents not liking what their kids had access to during the day on cable TV, actually; it's been parents for *years* refusing the responsibility and making the government control content. They don't want their watching this or that; so they complain rather than do any parenting. We don't have a watershed per say like you do over there; we do have a time in which content regulations are lessened; but they only apply to FTA broadcast channels over here and are STILL much more restrictive. You will *NEVER* hear the f-word uttered on broadcast TV unless it's a "fleeting expletive" from a live event that missed the censorship delay. So the parents, rather than parenting did what they did best; abandoned the kids and started a campaign to get TV cleaned up and censored. They formed an organization and have lobbyists trying fighting for stricter content laws and more censorship. I looked...lobbying means the same thing in both of our governmental systems; the only difference is I'm sure our lobbyists are usually more corrupt and are trying to convince lawmakers to go along with some deregulation or something that's good for business and bad for consumers. But, either way, these parents formed organizations who began media campaigns against TV and manged to get some lobbyists in the door. The reason they're hated is because of their aggressive campaigning and the fact most people see them as "lazy parents wanting the government to babysit the kids rather than doing it themselves." Lots of groups attempt to counter-act the laws, saying the violate free speech and are turning things in to a Nanny State, rather than requiring the parents to take some responsibility. Of course, in reality; it's actually a very small number of parents who want to ruin TV in this way; but sadly they're the ones that manage to scream overtop of the millions of others who have no issue.

Of course the FCC has always regulated "indecent" content on TV and radio; though it seems to have only been a real issue since 1978. Since then everyone's been bumping heads on how much power the FCC has over content; including the FCC who at various times have been inconsistent in issuing fines. The restrictions got real tough, then would get relaxed; a little more tougher, then relaxes. The result of the amount of pressure from groups, broadcasters, and if they were involved in any legal rulings over a fine. That changed 10 years ago when that nipple slip at the Super Bowl caused such a stir as most of Congress **** their pants and declared an all out war on indecency; which caused more and more supreme court cases as both sides were fighting against regulations that were made in haste. But, sadly most of those hasty laws were kept and broadcast TV took a step back about 15 years in terms of content censorship. What was acceptable in prime-time 20 years ago no longer is.

Back in 1999 the FCC over here made two adjustments; they required that *all* programs on every channel (cable or satellite excluding movie channels) have to display a rating in the upper corner. If any of you have obtained TV recorded over here; you've probably seen the TV-PG/14/MA ratings. They also required that every TV and STB made after 1999 have a "v-chip", or some kind of parental control lockout. They required that all broadcasters adopt not only the ratings system, but broadcasting the rating in V-Blank (during analog, probably in the stream with digital) so the functions would work. They spent all kinds of money running PSAs about the availability of this technology and how "if you've bought a new TV; you have this!" I mean there was a massive media campaign to let parents know this technology was now standard. They only thing they didn't do is enforce usage. In fact, they spent $550million on educating people about it; 14 years later they have virtually nothing to show for that money. Only around 15% of people had used it; and only around another 20% knew about the functions but chose not to use them. The other issue was if you're a pretty smart kid; you could figure out how to reset the pin code to reset it; which was required by consumer panels so parents didn't "break their TVs".

Those notices only spoke about the physcal v-chip in TV; while they don't talk about the parental controls built in to digital-satellite/cable boxes; they don't mention it. But one thing that's always mentioned is somehwere around 80% of people have these, know about them, and fail to use them. Proponents of clean TV see it as an utter failure and want answers. Most people...don't care.

The closest thing we have to a watershed is the 10pm - 6am time-frame; known as "safe-harbor". Stations are allowed to broadcast some indecent material, but not obscene. The biggest issue being the FCC decides what's indecent and obscene; and has very few standards. Networks too have lots of double standards. I read a thing not long ago that during filming of a TV series, the scene had a realistic looking dummy on the table...they objected because "the crack of the butt was clearly visible", the network only approved it *after* the crack of the butt was filled with blood. Of course, most channels, even ones not subject to content rules, heavily censor themselves if they have advertisers as the advertisers refuse to advertise certain shows containing certain content. But cable has gotten more lax in the last few years; about the only thing they bleep how is the f-word, though it varies channel to channel and show to show. BBC America for example usually only edits out any f-bombs in the programmes.

But, since there's no regulation saying it has to be used; we are in fact able to completely disable our parental controls so the few channels that show mature programming (which is largely movie channels during the day) can be viewed freely. We do also have a separate purchase pin, so you don't need to lock the entire box to prevent PPV. As I share my boxes over the internet through Slingbox, it seemed like a good idea.

Of course, the first time I encountered a pre-watershed PIN; it took me 2 minutes on Google to find out what it was since it had never been changed on the box. It's not so much of a hassle for me as much as an annoyance; every time I send a remote command to the Sky box; SlingPlayer dumps all it's buffer and starts over from scratch; so I have to rebuffer and wait about a minute before it starts playing at 100% speed (it does 90% playback when it's buffering). In fact, I don't even use the EPG on the box because issuing commands is annoying.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast