Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connecting Sky HD box to TV without using a long HDMI cable

This is a discussion on Connecting Sky HD box to TV without using a long HDMI cable within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I am still using an old Sky+ box which is approx 10 years old and still works although the RF2 ...

bryan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leith
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Technicolor TG582n Fibre Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD DRX890W
      Thanks

Connecting Sky HD box to TV without using a long HDMI cable

I am still using an old Sky+ box which is approx 10 years old and still works although the RF2 outlet is broken and I'm thinking the box is coming to the end of it's life (the first Sky+ box I had packed in within the first year so this one has done a lot better).

I am able to watch and change the channel on TVs in other rooms using a 5.8Ghz wireless extender and also have the signal distributed around the flat using the coax outlet on the digibox but am not able to use a magic eye obviously. I am aware that Sky Q doesn't have the same outlets/facilities without paying for multi-room which seems like a downgrade in my opinion.

However some/all? Sky HD digiboxes still have the ability to feed the signal through to other rooms I believe but I can't get the digibox close enough to the TV to connect with an HDMI cable. I've been told it is possible to connect the HDMI outlet on the digibox to Cat 5 cable, my flat has Cat 5 cable to every room, and then to the TV via a Cat 5 to HDMI converter as below (two Cat 5 cables required).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SDS-Extende...at5+hdmi+cable

I'm wondering if anyone has tried this solution out and how well it works?

2. Advertisement
      marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 20.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Re: Connecting Sky HD box to TV without using a long HDMI cable

Never used a cat->HDMI extender for Sky, but have used them for other equipment in the Pro-AV market, they work well, or should I say at least the decent ones do.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------

4. The Following User Says Thank You to marjohn56 For This Useful Post:

bryan (16-12-17)

christopherw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Penn (CMPEN)
      Broadband ISP: UKOnline LLU
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Connecting Sky HD box to TV without using a long HDMI cable

Coincidentally I bought this 1080p HDMI extender this week to test with my DRX890, and it works great:
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What tempted me to try it was it stated HDCP support (at least to a level sufficient for the Sky box), it can copy the EDID of the display connected to the RX Unit, and it uses power over Ethernet so you only need to feed either the RX or the TX unit with the supplied PSU.

A lovely feature of that particular model is it also has an HDMI passthrough / loop output, so you can feed a remote device and also keep the TV by the SkyHD box connected and watch simultaneously. Like using the RF loop out, but in HD!

The downside with all HDMI-over-ethernet adapters is you cannot connect them to an existing wired network, you must run a dedicated cable; they just reuse Ethernet pairs to pipe the video signal and DC power and take advantage of the nature of twisted pair to inhibit interference.

I've not tried this particular model with my PC yet (which can output HDR 4K 60fps). I suspect it won't work at all at resolutions higher than 1080p60 but nonetheless I'll find a long run of Cat6 and give it a crack. It would be dragging the PC into the living room to watch HDR stuff.
      Last edited by christopherw; 26-01-19 at 04:51 PM.