Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

sky + hd no sound on recoreded content, remove mains and it clears

This is a discussion on sky + hd no sound on recoreded content, remove mains and it clears within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; hi all i am having problems with sound from recorded programs, there is no sound until a hard reset is ...

tonybrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01922
      Broadband ISP: sky
      Router: none
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

sky + hd no sound on recoreded content, remove mains and it clears

hi all
      i am having problems with sound from recorded programs, there is no sound until a hard reset is undertaken, the box is connected via hdmi using hdmi arc setting on my recent 6 series samsung tv
      ps this affects old and new recordings and is all type of tv ie hd etc

Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: sky + hd no sound on recoreded content, remove mains and it clears

The ARC port is specifically designed for sound systems, not the Sky+ HD STB. ARC stands for "Audio Return Channel".

I would highly recommend that you use a different HDMI port.

Once you have done this, check to see if there is a setting within your Samsung's menu system to specific that the port is used by a Satellite STB. My own has remote control functionality. It can be annoying at times though. It allows me to turn on the TV and it turns on the Sky+ HD STB too. If the STB is already on, then it turns it off. It also allows me to use the TV's Remote to switch channels and a couple of other functions.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Doh! Silly me.

There is another reason why you're not getting any sound. You may have enable the 'Dolby D' sound over the HDMI. Not all TVs support this. To check and change it, please do the following:

Using your Sky+ HD TV Remote control press <Services> <Left> (to highlight 'Settings') <Select> <Right> (to highlight 'Sound')

At this time you can see if 'Digital Audio Output - HDMI' is set to either "Normal" or "Dolby D". If it is set to "Dolby D" then you will need to press <Down> to highlight the option, then <left> or <right> to change it to "Normal".

Finally press <Green> to save.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

tonybrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01922
      Broadband ISP: sky
      Router: none
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for the advice, i believe this problem to be caused by the Philips home cinema system, it is this not the skybox that is connected via the arc hdmi 3, i was mistaken the skybox is connected via hdmi 1, a roku box fed via an hdmi hub resides on hdmi2, i put devices into standby individually as the Samsung remote switches off everything at once. I suspect a comms problem with the Philips box as without altering any menu setting the sound returns when cycled through standby on this. Odd that it is only recorded programs but!!. At least there is a work round in the absence of any logical fix. Again many thanks for assistance.

Thanks

Ok, I would definitely look at your HDMI sound settings on the Sky+ HD STB then. When this feature was tested it was found that some TVs were compatible and others were not.

In my own case I have two different Samsung TVs. It worked fine with one and not with the other when setting the Dolby B option on.

The only way around it in my case is to use the Optical feed instead. This is actually Ok for me as my Home Theatre system doesn't take the sound from the TV's HDMI feed anyway, but would be a problem otherwise.

I would first do all this without your Philips sound system connected. Ensure that the TV is getting sound from the Sky+ HD STB and see what happens from there.

I have a friend with a 4K Samsung TV and their soundbar works perfectly fine with their Sky Q sound feeding through the ARC to the soundbar. From memory I did set it up for surround sound for them.