Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Update pushed by Sky, Broken Box!!

This is a discussion on Update pushed by Sky, Broken Box!! within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi there New to this forum as I'm looking for some advice and help please... Yesterday our box received an ...

JohnS82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Update pushed by Sky, Broken Box!!

Hi there

New to this forum as I'm looking for some advice and help please...

Yesterday our box received an update pushed out from Sky (no 'Please accept this upgrade' etc. whatsoever), box was working perfectly fine beforehand.

Following the update the box switched back on, came up with the message that the update had been successful and now states no satellite signal is received and when trying to access the planner comes up with 'still initialising'. Been like that since.

We've disconnected / reconnected the 2x satellite cables, powered off for 5 mins, etc. etc. but no change to the faults mentioned above. Browsing a few threads users have suggested a planner rebuild and other things however can't get to the planner to do this.

The signal strength on Input 1 is showing strong, lock indictor as OK, network ID / Transport Stream as 'null'.

Input 2 strength/quality are empty bars, Lock Indictor is 'Not Locked'.

Spoken to Sky Support who refuse to admit the likelihood that the update is to blame and say it cannot be rolled back, and that we have to pay 65 for an engineer to come out as we're only on the 10 / month Sky+ subscription and not a full package. (Do have Broadband and Phone with them as well). Spent over 2 hours being passed around between everyone and the answer back is they can't do anything because we're not 'full customers'. Appalling level of service considering I've been with Sky for 7 years on this deal, and at least 10 before that as a full subscription service customer!!

Refused to pay the 65 as it's their fault.

Any others things I could try to fix this please??

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Update pushed by Sky, Broken Box!!

I'm assuming that the update was to R017.085.63.06P. If that is the case you should be able to roll back to R015.084.51.02P (4nvju7i) by switching off the Sky box at the wall socket, waiting a minute, then switching on again while holding down the back up button on top of the Sky box. You need to keep the button depressed until the row of LEDs on the front of the box are illuminated or a message about upgrading software appears on the TV screen, usually within 30 seconds.

When the LEDs are extinguished the box will reboot. After it has rebooted check the signal levels and that system details shows a model number starting R015.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

What is listed under settings as your software version and model no and let us know which sky+ hd box you have?
      You do a planner rebuild from the settings menu as detailed here;
      https://www.sky.com/help/articles/pr...gs-and-planner
      The latest firmware that is being sent out to some users is not yet on the DR stream, so you can do a forced update on your box to get back to the previous version.
      Not heard of any issues of the current firmware having this effect on boxes, its probably just a coincidence.
      But let us know the above info about your box and we may be able to help further.

JohnS82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi..

Model Number - R017.085.63.06P
      Version Number - 4f3128

Have tried the rollback to R015 too but the lights don't ever come on at the front and system doesn't reset the software.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

By switching off he means unplug the mains plug, then after a few minutes hold the backup button down, then plug the power back in whilst holding down the backup button on top of the box, you have to hold it down for quite a while to kick the process off.

Thanks

Disconnect all leads from your Sky box except dish feeds, power and HDMI and try software download again remembering that it is the backup button on the top of the box that needs holding down not the button on the remote control. Try this at least three times.

If it still doesn't work you may need to do a full system reset but this will clear all recordings and scheduled recordings from your planner. Same process as software download but holding left and right arrow buttons instead of back up. Playback indicator will spin in an anti-clockwise direction. When this occurs press middle (select) button twice to confirm.
      Last edited by seawright; 28-09-17 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Wrong symbols on buttons (I need glasses).

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS82 View Post
      Hi there

New to this forum as I'm looking for some advice and help please...

Yesterday our box received an update pushed out from Sky (no 'Please accept this upgrade' etc. whatsoever), box was working perfectly fine beforehand.

Following the update the box switched back on, came up with the message that the update had been successful and now states no satellite signal is received and when trying to access the planner comes up with 'still initialising'. Been like that since.

We've disconnected / reconnected the 2x satellite cables, powered off for 5 mins, etc. etc. but no change to the faults mentioned above. Browsing a few threads users have suggested a planner rebuild and other things however can't get to the planner to do this.

The signal strength on Input 1 is showing strong, lock indictor as OK, network ID / Transport Stream as 'null'.

Input 2 strength/quality are empty bars, Lock Indictor is 'Not Locked'.

Spoken to Sky Support who refuse to admit the likelihood that the update is to blame and say it cannot be rolled back, and that we have to pay 65 for an engineer to come out as we're only on the 10 / month Sky+ subscription and not a full package. (Do have Broadband and Phone with them as well). Spent over 2 hours being passed around between everyone and the answer back is they can't do anything because we're not 'full customers'. Appalling level of service considering I've been with Sky for 7 years on this deal, and at least 10 before that as a full subscription service customer!!

Refused to pay the 65 as it's their fault.

Any others things I could try to fix this please??
      If the above advise doesn't fix then demand a free service visit.
      You might need to threaten to cancel although technical can do free visits too if you are nice enough.
      Alternatively you may get a cheap-ish Sky Q box offer instead, if you re-commit for 18 months.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

I'm having exactly the same issues here too, same error messages after getting R017.085.63.06P on my DRX890 box the other week. Every morning I get this error now.

Starts off getting the 'Box initialising.....' message then 'You are not receiving a satellite signal....' message shortly afterwards. I have to unplug and reboot to get it working again.

Sky got me to do a full box reset today to see if that helps (already done a planner rebuild) and I have a call back arranged for tomorrow.

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

My box seems OK this morning after the full system reset yesterday. Sky did phone me back this morning and they admitted they are seeing a few people having this issue with R017.085.63.06P, but a full system reset does seem to be fix this.

To perform a full system reset you need to press the 'services' button.

Then press 0, 0, 1 followed by 'select' to bring up the hidden installer menu.

Select the 'Sys Reset' tab which displays at 'System Reset' when you move across to it.

Finally press the 'select' button again.

Your box will reboot after the 'housekeeping' message goes off.

Everything including all recordings, series links and and selected programs set to record in the future will be deleted doing this though.

Thanks

As James says all recordings with be lost but taking a note of all future recordings before performing a system reset will make adding them back to the planner so much easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast