Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Scubbie

Sky+ HD R017 EPG Update

This is a discussion on Sky+ HD R017 EPG Update within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Wow! It’s been a while since a major release hasn’t it? In case you missed it there was the limited ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Sky+ HD R017 EPG Update

Wow! It’s been a while since a major release hasn’t it? In case you missed it there was the limited roll out of R016, then it went back to R015. R016 had a few things but mostly it was about trying a few different layouts for the Home Page and getting some feedback.

The changes underneath were incorporated into the last release of R015. These mostly are to do with changes in how things are broadcast by the various broadcasters.

In the mean time the developers have been kept very busy. With the recent heat wave you’ll be glad to know that they weren’t kept on ice. The beta testers have kept them very busy.

So what are the main changes in the new release?

• Clash Management improvements
      • My Sky Button
      • Catch Up Series Link
      • Watch next episode improvements

Clash Management Improvements
      Something which many people have requested over the years is an improvement to how the Sky+ HD STBs handle things when you want to record too many things at once.

Sky+ HD R017 EPG Update-r017-01-clashmanagement.jpg

Until now you’ve been presented with a simple choice to record one or two items and ditch the additional one. Of course the Sky+ app is useful and will offer a choice. It will allow you to reschedule one of the recordings to another day or time.

This ability has now been added to the Sky+ HD STB.

You’ll be presented with a list of the recordings that clash. Using the arrow keys on your Sky+ HD remote control, move up and down the list and to the right you’ll see any alternative recordings. Press <select> or the <right arrow> to select the list of alternatives and choose which recording you want to make.

This works well when you are adding a recording, but not always when the extra recording was added automatically through the ‘Next Series’ or ‘Next Episode’. When this happens you may still get a ‘Clashed’ entry in the planner. In this instance the Sky+ app will help.

My Sky Button
      Sky+ HD R017 EPG Update-r017-02-my-sky.jpg

Whilst watching live content if you press the <yellow> button a new interactive feature will pop up. From here you can look at some promotional material, manage your account, be guided to fix a problem with your Sky STB or look at the current temperature where you are and tomorrow’s forecast. Many of the features have been available through the <Interactive>. This provides a new easier route.

There is also a section for some messages from Sky under the ‘Manage my account’ section.

PIN protection is in place to ensure that not everyone can access it.

To use this feature you do need to be on live TV, not live pause or watching a recorded item.

Catch Up Series Link
      Sky+ HD R017 EPG Update-r017-03-catch-up-series-link.jpg
      Have you ever downloaded an episode that you missed from the Catch Up TV section and then missed the next episode because it wasn’t there and by the time it was you’d forgotten about it?

Well now Sky has added a new feature so that a series link is added and the next episode in the series will be recorded automatically.

Watch next episode Improvements
      In case you aren’t already familiar with the feature, your Sky+ HD STB will automatically start the next episode of a TV Series if you have more than one in your planner.
      Sky+ HD R017 EPG Update-r017-04-watch-next-episode.jpg

A prompt will appear on your screen offering to start the next episode automatically, with a countdown. You can press <green> to start it straight away or press <backup> to carry on with what you are watching.

Improvements have been made to this feature regarding the timing for when the prompt appears and also it works for content recorded off a live broadcast. Pressing <backup> will prevent the automatic switch to the next episode. You can press <green> at anytime to manually move on to the next episode if you desire.

Generally the improvements are a lot better now; certainly they are from when the feature was first introduced. There are times when you may not want to jump on to the next episode so soon, such as when watching The Big Bank Theory, as you’ll otherwise miss some comments at the end of the titles. This is when it’s useful to press <backup> and let it play on.

When will you get it?
      One question that is always asked is “When will I get it?”

Firstly some people will have received the latest update last night. This is the first batch and I’m sure that some will be taking their time as they look through it to see what’s happening.

The people at Sky normally like to roll out such updates over a period of 6-8 weeks. In the last batch a signal to update all the STBs that haven’t already been updated is sent out and the DR Stream is around this time too updated.

With some 10+ million Sky+ HD STBs in use, I am sure that many will understand that such an update can have a huge impact if it went wrong. Of course during the beta testing all those involved do have a good try at ‘breaking things’. The group is often very busy with lots of issues being identified and resolved in later updates. Any issues picked up in the public code have, by comparison, less of an impact.

I hope that you like the new features as much as we in the beta group do.
      Annie UK likes this.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Annie UK (12-07-17)

3. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ HD R017 EPG Update

With the retirement of Sky Box Office is there any intention to remove the box office menu on Sky+ HD and Sky HD boxes? If so is there then any alternative use for the box office button on the Sky Remote?

Thanks

Sky have indeed changed how their Box Office works, but some time back they changed the short cuts that you get when pressing the Box Office button.

Currently you get a link to Sky Store, the on-line replacement for Sky Box Office, and a link to 'Box Office'. The Box Office link gives you access to any special events and is showing ITV's offering for this weekend, something on 'Box Nation and also a series of repeats on Sky Sport Box Office.

As for reprogramming the buttons, that would be confusing.

Thanks

Selecting box office on Sky HD box results in a "For Your Information" banner stating, "There are no programmes of this type".

Nsewell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Selecting box office on Sky HD box results in a "For Your Information" banner stating, "There are no programmes of this type".
      Which tab is this in within the Box Office menu and what software version does your box have?

Currently in R015 and older software there are some redundant tabs in the Box Office menu due to the closure of Sky Movies Box office in January. These have now been removed in R017, however the "Adult", Sports/Events" and "Previews" tabs remain. This is because Sky will be continuing to support Sky Sports Box office and adult PPV in the future.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nsewell View Post
      Which tab is this in within the Box Office menu and what software version does your box have?
      Just by pressing "box office", "By Start Time" is illuminated but not selected. Firmware version R011.075.59.17P.

wizard200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gatwick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max + Sky Talk
      Router: SkyQ Hub SR203UK + SkyQ Booster EE120
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2Tb + mini
      Thanks

Hello All
      Arrived Home from work tonight & guess what Santa Sky has been and added the RO17 update.......... From what I have seen
      with a quick look so far it seems quite Good with some useful additions : My Sky button shows a layout
      similar to the skyQ home layout ( Nice to see they still consider the non skyQ boxes when making any changes) I am still Happy
      with My 2TB sky+ HD Box for Now anyway. Unless of course, They give SkyQ free as a Loyalty Bonus.............

Just a Thought............It's Raining at Gatwick................

Sky+ HD R017 EPG Update-speedof.me_17-07-08-sat-10.49am.jpg

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wizard200 View Post
      Hello All
      Arrived Home from work tonight & guess what Santa Sky has been and added the RO17 update.......... From what I have seen
      with a quick look so far it seems quite Good with some useful additions : My Sky button shows a layout
      similar to the skyQ home layout ( Nice to see they still consider the non skyQ boxes when making any changes) I am still Happy
      with My 2TB sky+ HD Box for Now anyway. Unless of course, They give SkyQ free as a Loyalty Bonus.............
      There have been a few changes in the pipeline to add features that are already available on the Sky Q TV boxes. I can't say what will be added in the next update, but I have no doubt that there will be others in due course.
      Just a Thought............It's Raining at Gatwick................

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speedof.me_17-07-08  Sat 10.49am.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	6510
      It's been raining here too. Hence the comment in the post about Game of Thrones which starts next Monday.