Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

No signal from raining getting worse.

This is a discussion on No signal from raining getting worse. within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; So in my previous thread , I mentioned things had got worse after the Discovery channel scare and several bouts ...

AJStevens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horley (SDHRLY)
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2 Unltd 76Mb and Virgin 200Mb
      Router: Mikrotik
      Sky TV: DRX895 DRX895WL
      Thanks

No signal from raining getting worse.

So in my previous thread, I mentioned things had got worse after the Discovery channel scare and several bouts of heavy downpours.

While the replacement did seemingly sort out the problems in the Multiroom, I still notice both boxes occasionally flicker on Nickelodeon, like someone had changed the channel quickly but was likely a very brief lost of signal, not long enough for a message on screen.

Tonight, it's been raining again, and at the moment it's only drizzling, not a downpour anymore, yet both sky boxes have no signal and worse the replacement box was turned off and on by a family member trying to fix it and now it's stuck initialising, no planner, no on demand, no signal, just a large paperweight.

The box in the living room hadn't been turned off, so could watch something on its planner but also no signal.

Completely no signal on either, no lock, not even a flicker.

I even went outside to make sure the dish was still on the side of the house and hadn't fallen off / blown away.

I know weather obviously effects satellite TV, you'd expect broken and distorted imagine while its hammering the dish with raindrops and lots of atmospheric disruption in the way of the satellite but this seems severe, the last time after the rain, it was bright and sunny and the signal didn't come back for at least an hour after the rain completely stopped which seems excessive or at least to past experience.

I get the feeling it's getting worse, longer outage and sensitivity to just a drizzle of rain.

Could the dish be rusted? The LNB waterlogged? Given they're outside in England would have expected them to be weather proof.

I'm going to need an engineer visit aren't I? When it comes to the dish and LNB is that Sky's or is it mine?
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No signal from raining getting worse.-satellite_dish.jpg  
      Last edited by AJStevens; 28-06-17 at 02:11 PM.
      AJStevens

Sky+HD Multi-room
      DRX895
      DRX895WL (Bye bye DRX780)

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: No signal from raining getting worse.

The dish and LNB are yours and I'm guessing that they're out of warranty but your replacement box will have a 3 month guarantee. If you can persuade Sky TV tech that your new box has failed then you should get a free engineers visit.

AJStevens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horley (SDHRLY)
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2 Unltd 76Mb and Virgin 200Mb
      Router: Mikrotik
      Sky TV: DRX895 DRX895WL
      Thanks

Yes, long out of warranty now, when did Sky first start doing 2TB Sky+HD boxes? I got one of the first DRX895 boxes I think.

Well, the problem happens on both boxes, so clearly not them, and I'd rather be honest about it, touch wood all the kit has lasted quite well, besides the recent problems with the very old DRX780 box. Just wanting to check with some other well informed people if I need a Satellite engineer or if there's anything else I could do first, should be aware of?

Added a picture to my first post, is that rust? What is that? Don't see it on anyone else's satellite dish in the area. Could that be causing the problem when it rains?

Or I'm wondering if the tree is in the way now.. it's grown a bit and in the direction of what I think is the line of sight of the dish, unless it has a steep upward view.

Think it may need pruning, and yes the top of the conservatory needs a clean too.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No signal from raining getting worse.-tree_satellite.jpg  
      AJStevens

Sky+HD Multi-room
      DRX895
      DRX895WL (Bye bye DRX780)

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

A bit of light rust on the dish shouldn't be a problem. The beam from the dish is quite tight and is angled upwards as the LNB is mounted below the focal point. First you need to check whether the tree is in the dish's line of sight. As to whether you can prune it depends if it is on (or overhanging) your property and whether it is subject to a TPO.

The cleanliness of your conservatory won't have any effect on TV reception. As reception is effected after it has stopped raining it may be worth examining the cables to check for damage to the outer sheath that could allow ingress of moisture. The LNB is splash proof thought the plastic case of some early models could be degraded by sunlight (UV) allowing rain water to seep in.