Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Faulty box and i'm due for renewal

This is a discussion on Faulty box and i'm due for renewal within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; My 2tb Sky box (DRX895c) has been getting the Technical Fault-7(33) error so i need a new HDD or box. ...

Coopz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Faulty box and i'm due for renewal

My 2tb Sky box (DRX895c) has been getting the Technical Fault-7(33) error so i need a new HDD or box.

I'm not sure the best way to go about it to pay as little as possible.

I'm in the renewal period so am looking to get some discount on my subscription but if i tell them about my dodgy box they may just sort that out for cheaper and give me no discount on my subscription.

On the other hand if i get some discount on my subscription then tell them about the box i would probably have to pay full whack for a replacement as is out of warrenty.

I could buy a new HDD or box as well and sort it myself but are they cheaper than getting Sky to sort it?

Any idea on the best way to go about it?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Re: Faulty box and i'm due for renewal

That error is not always the HDD.

If you have not tried already, do this;
      Carefully remove your sky card, clean with a damp cloth, pat it dry and replace it inside the box.
      Check cables from your dish and also check that they are still a tight fit into your box.
      Do a planner rebuild.
      If that has not cured it, then try doing a forced software update.

One thing that I have seen with this error is around the power supply or surge protectors. Try changing to a different power socket.

A renewal deal would not really involve the cost of any box anyway.
      An engineer visit will be only 60 or so or free if you haggle CS enough.
      But you would have to make sure they will replace the box like for like, if that's what they feel is the case.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post

Carefully remove your sky card, clean with a damp cloth, pat it dry and replace it inside the box.
      Check cables from your dish and also check that they are still a tight fit into your box.
      Do a planner rebuild.

One thing that I have seen with this error is around the power supply or surge protectors. Try changing to a different power socket.

But you would have to make sure they will replace the box like for like, if that's what they feel is the case.
      Thanks for the reply

I tried a planner rebuild and checked the cables were a snug fit before but ill do it again to be sure.

I've just cleaned the card which was quite dirty and has a little burn on it where the chips got hot (added a pic below) so i don't know if that's anything to do with it but as far as i can remember all the cards I've seen are like it

I'm not able to plug the Sky Box straight into a mains socket and i only have 1 double socket but have just been out and bought a new surge protector to see if the old ones the culprit.

Does a forced update delete all the recordings and scheduled stuff?

Faulty box and i'm due for renewal-img_1663-269-.jpg

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coopz View Post
      Thanks for the reply

I tried a planner rebuild and checked the cables were a snug fit before but ill do it again to be sure.

I've just cleaned the card which was quite dirty and has a little burn on it where the chips got hot (added a pic below) so i don't know if that's anything to do with it but as far as i can remember all the cards I've seen are like it

I'm not able to plug the Sky Box straight into a mains socket and i only have 1 double socket but have just been out and bought a new surge protector to see if the old ones the culprit.

Does a forced update delete all the recordings and scheduled stuff?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1663[269].jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	403.6 KB 
ID:	6274
      No a forced update does not touch recordings or your planner, just updates the firmware. Forcing it again can just help to clean it up.
      Agree, most cards look like that where the chip is, that is not a problem.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post

Do a planner rebuild.

Engineer visit is 65 and goes up to 75 from Friday 14th October.

You should be able to blag a free or discounted visit with your renewal.

Don't mention the box at first get them to agree a discount then say about the box giving problems and you wouldn't want to commit without being sure your box is working properly. Alternatively take a discount and call back in your "cooling-off period" a few days later and say your box isn't working and that you'll cancel if it isn't fixed.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      Engineer visit is 65 and goes up to 75 from Friday 14th October.

You should be able to blag a free or discounted visit with your renewal.

Don't mention the box at first get them to agree a discount then say about the box giving problems and you wouldn't want to commit without being sure your box is working properly. Alternatively take a discount and call back in your "cooling-off period" a few days later and say your box isn't working and that you'll cancel if it isn't fixed.
      I've been test recording since yesterday after the checks and update and i'm still getting the error on all but a few recordings so i think my box is knackered.

Ill do what you say and try and get a discounted deal then tell them about my box.

Thanks for the heads up, it's typical they are raising the engineer price just as mine goes tits up haha

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to add does it matter how many times i ring up and ask them to better their last offer?

Should i just wait till a few days before the contract ends before i ring them?