Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree1Likes

Sky+ HD STB EPG Update R013

This is a discussion on Sky+ HD STB EPG Update R013 within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; At last, the pictures as requested yesterday. Planner > All: Planner > All > Episodes: In neither of these examples ...

JPL
      JPL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ HD STB EPG Update R013

At last, the pictures as requested yesterday.

Planner > All: Sky+ HD STB EPG Update R013-imgjpl_20160225_084953.jpg

Planner > All > Episodes: Sky+ HD STB EPG Update R013-imgjpl_20160225_085043.jpg

In neither of these examples is it possible to identify the programme without referring to the info. box in the top left of the screen. The almost irrelevant Downloaded/Recorded is given prominence in ugly capitals, while the necessary Episode is shown some distance away from the menu line, included in a non-standard way within the text of the info. box. No-one could accuse this of being ergonomic UI design.

With so much effort being put into prettying-up some of the more peripheral parts of the EPG, it is a pity that the poor operation of a core part appears to be ignored.
      JPL

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JPL For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (25-02-16)

3. Advertisement
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

We have often commented on different mockups for this on the Voice, not sure if you participate there.
      Do agree with with the episode information in different places in the i info page/s and often intermittent/lack of it from many broadcasters.
      I hate caps too, not ever been sure why that part of the epg is like that.
      The newer design of the sky+ hd epg coming later in the year, does change a bit of that, we have seen some mockups, not sure if its all finalised yet though.
      Last edited by lettice; 25-02-16 at 10:52 AM.

JPL
      JPL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

I've not heard of the Voice before.

Looking forward to further epg updates...
      JPL

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zachriel View Post
      Have they fixed next series/episode and series links?
      The official answer is to delete all the 'Next series' and 'Next Episode' links in the Planner under the 'Scehduled' tab. The deletion process does now work correctly.

It is also also recommended to use the 'Never miss' feature available on the Sky website. This will send you an email a few days before the programme or film will air and does work well.

Never Miss - Sky

Overall the experience is a lot better now. Such issues of missing a series are considerably better.

My other gripe is that setting a series link for The Walking Dead also series links The Talking Dead which I have absolutely no interest in watching.

I was fine with the old method of setting a reminder through Never Miss, then picking a recording and series link that suited me. I'm a little more aware of recordings over lapping etc, which the new system seems to miss.
      There have been a few reports of people picking up the wrong series on the Sky+ HD STBs over the past few weeks. This is being investigated.

"Next Series" and "Next Episode" are great in principle, but extremely floored.

Really hope they've taken some steps to fix these issues in the update.
      There has been a lot of work behind the scenes. I can't say much about it for a couple of reasons, one of which is I don't actually know all the facts.

However flawed the process has been, the new processes have worked a great deal better.

I'm also hoping they have improved performance as well. Both mine and the in-laws boxes become extremely unresponsive every couple of weeks. A rebuild of the guide normally sorts out the issue, but it's a little frustrating.
      There is a lot of work happening in this area. Some of it we may not see until next year. Whilst there are a couple of 'niggles' I have, overall I have found the response of the R013 EPG firmware to be good.

I'll let you comment on this as my experience might be different to yours.

There has been a great deal of work going on since R012 was launched. The popularity of the Watch from Start feature included in R012 caused some unexpected problems. The root cause was identified. Measures have been taken to resolve the issue. As R013 is rolled out we'll see the results.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
      I've not heard of the Voice before.

Looking forward to further epg updates...
      Its an invite only product community for Sky and Now TV.
      We are restricted in what we see or can say, normal sky NDA's so cannot discuss in any detail.
      But what we do do is take quite a bit from what we hear elsewhere and provide or pass on our judgement, it sure may help sky improve.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
      At last, the pictures as requested yesterday...
      Thank you for this JPL.

As lettice has stated, this was discussed within a closed forum where such changes are often discussed.

The information displayed is always provided by the respective broadcaster. Whilst they have the tools, it is down to a human to process it.

Sky is attempting to display the information in the best way it can within the confines of the EPG design. The design has improved but it is limited.

It would be handy to display the episode numbering in the planner list, but sadly this hasn't happened. If you look at the episode numbering across a range of programmes you'll find it to be very inconsistent. Again this is down to whomever is loading the details onto the EPG data stream and not always Sky's fault.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

If you are interested in the delivery and technical standards of TV programmes to sky, you may want to read their technical delivery standards document;
      http://dpp-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/w...andardsSky.pdf

It often seems so simple, but is more complicated than you think.

Zachriel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The official answer is to delete all the 'Next series' and 'Next Episode' links in the Planner under the 'Scehduled' tab. The deletion process does now work correctly.

It is also also recommended to use the 'Never miss' feature available on the Sky website. This will send you an email a few days before the programme or film will air and does work well.

Never Miss - Sky

Overall the experience is a lot better now. Such issues of missing a series are considerably better.

There have been a few reports of people picking up the wrong series on the Sky+ HD STBs over the past few weeks. This is being investigated.

There has been a lot of work behind the scenes. I can't say much about it for a couple of reasons, one of which is I don't actually know all the facts.

However flawed the process has been, the new processes have worked a great deal better.

There is a lot of work happening in this area. Some of it we may not see until next year. Whilst there are a couple of 'niggles' I have, overall I have found the response of the R013 EPG firmware to be good.

I'll let you comment on this as my experience might be different to yours.

There has been a great deal of work going on since R012 was launched. The popularity of the Watch from Start feature included in R012 caused some unexpected problems. The root cause was identified. Measures have been taken to resolve the issue. As R013 is rolled out we'll see the results.
      Thanks for the reply. Will see if things improve once my box updates.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

146Kg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

I agree about the Talking Dead, it doesn't even show that it is going to be recorded in "Scheduled", it just gets recorded and deleted unwatched every week.
      Meanwhile what you want to record it misses.
      Fingers crossed for a fix with this update (unlike previous updates).
      Edit
      I've since had 2 updates now and it has pulled "The Arrow" from "looking for next series" into "scheduled", it has never done this with anything before.
      Even if it records "The Talking Dead" I'll be happy if it coninues to work like this.
      Last edited by 146Kg; 28-02-16 at 10:22 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12