Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Scubbie

Variation on image sharpness between different Sky+ HD boxes possible?

This is a discussion on Variation on image sharpness between different Sky+ HD boxes possible? within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Just sold an all black 2TB model to a friend of mine, who finds the image quality, (more noticeable on ...

joe pineapples is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLBAL. (Balby)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Variation on image sharpness between different Sky+ HD boxes possible?

Just sold an all black 2TB model to a friend of mine, who finds the image quality, (more noticeable on HD channels), slightly softer than his own 500gb black and silver model (sorry, don't know the model numbers). It used to be connected to a Pioneer pdp-436xde and looked fine on that to my eyes, and is now on a 50" Panasonic plasma. But as i say, it is looking softer between two boxes on the same display. Any thoughts?.

thanks
      joe

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Variation on image sharpness between different Sky+ HD boxes possible?

There shouldn't be any difference, but it is possible.

Firstly when Sky first launched the Sky+ HD STB it was the Thomson model that was supplied. Although I never had this box, most people on the forums would say how much better the image quality was above the other STBs that followed. The DRX89x range was apparently the worst.

With early DRX89x boxes there is a reported issue related to the HDMI socket. Basically if you unplug the cable too often, it can damage the contacts.

I haven't seen many reports on the forums about people having problems with this for a long time, so either it's been fixed or most people don't unplug the HDMI leads as often any more.

Is it possible that when the DRX895 was taken from your home to your friend's that the HDMI lead was pulled out a little roughly or installed a little too hard?

I would also, just in case there is a difference, ask if you can check the firmware version on both boxes.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

joe pineapples is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLBAL. (Balby)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Thanks Scubbie. Not sure on the Hdmi lead but doubt its been unplugged that many times and when it has, quite carefully. I will suggest to him to compare firmware versions.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

If they are different, we have a table on this forum to help to identify the different models. Please take a look to see if there is anything useful there to help.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-h...-versions.html
      joe pineapples likes this.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

vfx
      vfx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub 2 SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD x4 MS
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      There shouldn't be any difference, but it is possible.
      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post

Firstly when Sky first launched the Sky+ HD STB it was the Thomson model that was supplied. Although I never had this box, most people on the forums would say how much better the image quality was above the other STBs that followed. The DRX89x range was apparently the worst.

I had the Thomson but sadly it is so long ago now it is a complete blank. All I can remember about it was it was quite big compared to the DRX890. I also recall it having a lot of lockups.