Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Picture blocking...

This is a discussion on Picture blocking... within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, A few months ago an engineer visited to rectify a picture blocking issue on certain channels on my Sky ...

stuarttunstall is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Picture blocking...

Hi,

A few months ago an engineer visited to rectify a picture blocking issue on certain channels on my Sky HD box ... This was caused by a faulty LNB on the dish which was replaced and all seemed OK...

Over the last week I have notice the occasional blocking, but in the last day or so it has become worse... I did suspect the weather, although windy and rain it worked OK on some channels but not all.. I did check to see if it was a similar issue to last time were on the signal meter in the set up menu one of the channels dropped and came up not locked, then came back, but the signal seems perfect.. Channel 5HD last night was unwatchable

Strange thing is I put Channel 5HD on this morning and it was breaking up, I checked the connections on the back of the box and all seemed to be tight, but it did block occasionally, but watching it now it seems OK, even UK Gold which I have been watching for a couple of hours and no issues... Does this sound like an issue is developing and needs looking at?

Stuart

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Picture blocking...

Bad weather can cause blocking and loss of signal. If the weather is better now and and reception appears to be ok, make a note of the signal level and signal quality of both inputs. If the problem recurs check the levels again and compare them with your saved results.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi .. I did check the signal, when it did it last time and the engineer changed the LNB on the dish one of them dropped to nothing then came back, this time they are almost solid... It is raining quite heavy off and on today and it has worked perfect so far... very strange..

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Think I may have found my issue Sky engineer due Saturday...

It seems to be the same as last time, one input disappears... not sure if it will be the LNB this time of a box issue as I recorded om station and watched another with the signal meter on... picture bloclong and sound cutting in and out but both signal meters stayed perfect... as per input 1 in the picture... then input 2 either lost signal or both... and may even come up not locked..

What is your opinion?

Picture blocking...-image-1.jpg

Picture blocking...-image-2.jpg

Thanks

Just check that the leads from the dish are finger tight at the back of the box and that gently moving the leads has no effect on the signal level/quality. If all good swap the input leads over. If the problem moves to input one then it's either the leads or the LNB.

I could suggest swapping the leads at the LNB but they're probably not that easy to get to and as you already have an engineer booked it's probably best to wait until Saturday.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

stuarttunstall (18-11-15)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Checked all the leads and they appear to be all OK... Although last night and now it seems OK.... I was starting to think maybe it is weather related, been very windy and wet, plus I would expect input 1 and 2 to show deviation is either signal strength or quality to be effected not just input 2... Input 1 signal and quality stay over the far right.. as does input 2 as a rule...

Last night I was watching Sky Atlantic which has been very bad, the picture was perfect, I was also recording UK Gold, but watching the signal meter all of a sudden just the signal quality dropped to nothing and not locked appeared, although the picture on TV and the recording looked OK..

Engineer coming tomorrow, so hopefully will be sorted...

It does seem very similar to last time..

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Typical, engineer due out this afternoon and the damn thing is perfect!! Snowing quite heavy here today and the signal/quality meters are almost spot on... Even watching Sky Atlantic which was unwatchable..

Glad I recorded a program and took pictures...

No idea what this could be, water in the connection on the LNB? faulty cable? faulty box?

Engineer due between 1-3pm if he can get here with the snow.... Lol

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Engineer visited yesterday and changed the LNB and put new connectors at each end of the cables.. He used the newer crimp on style connectors..

Ran a test on the box and all passed .. Would have been better if it was actually playing up...

Only thing he did notice was one of the cables on the LNB was a bit loose... in fact I could see him moving t from ground level, so maybe it was down to the strong winds we have had vibrating the dish and causing intermittent loss of signal or poor quality... The other was tight...

One thing that did happen last night I went to a movie channel and it came up with a message saying there was a problem with my viewing card... please make sure inserted correctly.. Which I did but still the message came up...

Seemed to do it on the Sky channels and on demand..

Unplugged the box from the socket and rebooted and now seems OK...any idea what could cause that? never had that before

Thanks

The loose cable was probably the culprit. As for the viewing card, I doubt that it's anything serious. Just like a computer rebooting will usually clear software related faults.

If it happens again you should remove the viewing card and clean the gold contacts with a clean dry cloth.

Should it start to happen frequently there could be a fault developing with either the viewing card or the box. A replacement viewing card should be tried before booking another engineers visit.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      The loose cable was probably the culprit. As for the viewing card, I doubt that it's anything serious. Just like a computer rebooting will usually clear software related faults.

If it happens again you should remove the viewing card and clean the gold contacts with a clean dry cloth.

Should it start to happen frequently there could be a fault developing with either the viewing card or the box. A replacement viewing card should be tried before booking another engineers visit.
      Seems to be all OK now, so maybe moving the box about etc just moved it a bit, although it was working when he left.. modern technology Lol

I think the cable was more than a little loose, the dish is about half way up the side of the house, and I could see it moving from ground level as the engineer rocked the connector...

Will see how t goes now, signal still seems excellent on both inputs and I can get on Sky channels... so all is good again for now... Lol