Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Recordings totally busted since latest firmware upgrade

This is a discussion on Recordings totally busted since latest firmware upgrade within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Since the software upgrade this week, my HD box has been almost unusable. Constantly getting the message "Your box is ...

nsviper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cumbernauld (WSCUM)
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Need to check
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Recordings totally busted since latest firmware upgrade

Since the software upgrade this week, my HD box has been almost unusable.

Constantly getting the message "Your box is still initialising, please return in a short time to use this feature" whenever I try to record a program, set a recording for the future, link a series.

Have deleted all deleted shows, carried out the planner rebuild, tried the card reset trick, and the full reinstall (reboot with the backup button held in on box)

Anything else can I try before I phone Sky?
      I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty, i just want to know who's been drinking my pint!!!

Gallery...http://andy-stewart.deviantart.com/gallery

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Recordings totally busted since latest firmware upgrade

Do you have good signal strength & quality on both inputs?
      In certain circumstances, a loss of signal on one of the inputs can cause the 'initialising' message.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Not seeing that Myself with the newest firmware.
      Set many recordings and series recordings since it got updated and all have been fine.
      But when I wake up early and bring the box manually out of eco mode, it does take a good five minutes everytime now with ' initialising', Before the update it was instant.
      I'm hating the split All/scheduled tabs in planners. just want them all in one. No logic there for me, just more remote presses between the two.
      BBC iPlayer still has all the progs showing +1 hour on their recorded time on this release.
      Spike is missing off the end of every Breaking bad recording too.

Not sure if its this release, but do hear many have all sorts of series link problems now.

nsviper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cumbernauld (WSCUM)
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Need to check
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      Do you have good signal strength & quality on both inputs?
      In certain circumstances, a loss of signal on one of the inputs can cause the 'initialising' message.
      Thanks for reminding me to check that. Singal source 2 was showing no connection, so pulled and reseated cables, and after a reboot its finally back up and running - phew...
      I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty, i just want to know who's been drinking my pint!!!

Gallery...http://andy-stewart.deviantart.com/gallery

146Kg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      Not seeing that Myself with the newest firmware.
      Set many recordings and series recordings since it got updated and all have been fine.
      But when I wake up early and bring the box manually out of eco mode, it does take a good five minutes everytime now with ' initialising', Before the update it was instant.
      I'm hating the split All/scheduled tabs in planners. just want them all in one. No logic there for me, just more remote presses between the two.
      BBC iPlayer still has all the progs showing +1 hour on their recorded time on this release.
      Spike is missing off the end of every Breaking bad recording too.

Not sure if its this release, but do hear many have all sorts of series link problems now.
      I'm loving the split of scheduled and recorded, much easier to check if you have loads set to record.
      Gutted to hear about Breaking Bad, have yet to start watching them. What is your box set to regarding "add to end of recording" ? If it has cropped the end of evey episode I'll delete the lot and hope for a rerun of the series.
      I believed in better and it turned around and bit me.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by 146Kg View Post
      I'm loving the split of scheduled and recorded, much easier to check if you have loads set to record.
      Gutted to hear about Breaking Bad, have yet to start watching them. What is your box set to regarding "add to end of recording" ? If it has cropped the end of evey episode I'll delete the lot and hope for a rerun of the series.
      I believed in better and it turned around and bit me.
      I watched the first series of breaking bad (7 episodes) yesterday in a boxset-style binge.
      I think there were 3 maybe 4 episodes that had a bit chopped off at the end + 1 or 2 with a bit missing from the start.*

I have the 'add to start of recording' option set to 0 mins & 'add to end of recording' set to automatic.
      This has generally served me well over the years as nothing really ever starts early (apart from some comedy central programmes).
      Regarding the end of a recording, i genuinely can't remember the last time i missed something before breaking bad.

The search & scan banner always seems to be accurate when a programme either starts early or overruns, so i wonder if sky should be looking at using that as a trigger for start / stop times?

Quote Originally Posted by lettice
      I am also still baffled by the logic behind the split All/scheduled tabs.
      Planning my viewing has been a PITA since R011.

Granted, with the addition of these 'next episode' & 'next series' smart link entries (which i immediately deleted), there would be a lot to wade through until one reached their recorded programmes - but that's only because they've gone & revesed the chronological order!

* Realising just how important it might be to you 146Kg, i thought it best to point out that we're only talking about a few seconds here.
      It certainly didn't spoil my enjoyment of series 1...

..Of a show which i previously knew almost nothing about (apart from the hype) & yet again, just like with 'The Wire' - after one series am already hooked & agreeing with the critics.
      It is extremely good.

Hopefully one day something this good will come out of the UK.
      'Utopia' came close but obviously lacked the backing & confidence from those funding it to do it justice.
      Last edited by gymno; 03-05-15 at 09:48 PM. Reason: The * bit

146Kg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Thanks for that re Breaking Bad.
      I had a similar experience a good while back with the original Hawaii Five O series (Jack Lord) I think it was on CBS, it lost the last 5 minutes of the first 3 episodes I watched, I just deleted the rest unwatched.
      The Sunday night/Monday morning NFL was the same, I set up a manual weekly record overlapping and extending the finish time of the planner recording.
      If the program starts and finishes later than advertised, can we blame Sky the carrier (or the s/ware) or is it the channel itself ?
      Back in the day we'd have set the VCR up with a fair wedge of time extra at the end. If you do it to a Sky box it can cause clashes with the start of another recording if two are scheduled to start at the same time.
      Last edited by 146Kg; 04-05-15 at 04:39 AM.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

I have Auto on the beginning and end of recordings.
      The last few breaking bad have just made it, but still cut just before the end of the ending titles. Very tight indeed.
      Did not have any cut off at the beginning.
      Luckily most starts of the next episode have a brief catchup of the end of the last, so not missed anything really.

Same here, had no real idea about Breaking bad, but did read a few good reviews online some time ago.
      It has been a great series and I'm hooked too.
      Would say it is up there as a drama with anything sky are putting up on Sky Atlantic and Sky Living and for me that is saying something as Im pretty much glued to them channels with the amount of good drama lately.