Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Analogue HD Component output to be stopped?

This is a discussion on Analogue HD Component output to be stopped? within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi all, Me and some friends still use the component analogue output on our Thomson HD boxes, there getting old, ...

drtechno is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Analogue HD Component output to be stopped?

Hi all,

Me and some friends still use the component analogue output on our Thomson HD boxes, there getting old, but they still work. But sky customer service has called one of us and said they want to come out and swap the Thompson box for a new one, but without component output, not good for us. When he asked if he could just keep the current box and carry on, he was told "he would not benefit from new features" and the next firmware update would stop the component out from working. Do any of you know if this is accurate? are they turning off and Analogue output? Is there any way to get around it without changing to HDMI?

Thx
      Doc'

2. Advertisement
      Nsewell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Analogue HD Component output to be stopped?

The Thomson sky+HD box is incapable of running the latest firmware that all other sky+HD boxes use, and is no longer being supported and will not receive any future updates. Because of this users of these boxes will not be able to take advantages of new features such as the enhanced sky guide with 8 line TV guide, ondemand, catch up, undelete, larger storage space and sky store.

Also sky's official stance is that you "might not" be able to receive hd channels in the future if you have a Thompson box. Because of this sky are offering free upgrades to new boxes for all Thompson box owners.

These new boxes do not have component out, however you can buy converters such as this one to convert HDMI to component. I know it's expensive but you can get cheaper ones on eBay and amazon although I can't guarantee a quality picture.

As for the component on the Thompson being disabled in an future update I haven't heard anything about that, but i don't think the content owners are happy about having component out on sky+HD boxes as it doesn't have HDCP encryption on the signal like HDMI does, so people can make hd quality recordings and possibly share them illegally.

I'd recommend upgrading your box, you'll have a better user experience than using those sluggish Thompson's, and you'd get some good extra features. You might have no choice but to upgrade in the future anyway.

To find out more about the box swap scheme visit sky.com/betterbox

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Thanks

Sky have said that the Thompson boxes would not receive any further firmware upgrades.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts
      Personally I would say that there is far more to benefit from updating the STB than keeping the old one.

As has been pointed out, there are converters available to allow you to connect the STB to the component connectors. Apparently the cable version isn't suitable when HDCP is required, so get a powered one.

I've been using the new style firmware for close to a year now. There are more changes within the most recent edition and Sky has further plans for more changes in the future.

Whilst I do not know what all the changes will be, I am aware of some of the plans. At the moment I cannot say what they are as, like the other Beta Testers I have had to agree to keep them quiet.

If you have a tablet or smart phone, then you are already missing out on some of the new features. CUTV and On Demand are also popular new features. Will these or some of the other new features going to interest you? I can't say. Will you miss out if you do not take advantage of this free upgrade offer? Most definitely.

BTW: Not all the new features are specifically from Sky.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Forum Runner

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

drtechno is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi, and thanks to you both for you replies.

I have one of the new boxes and I can see the benefits of OD and mobile device control, in fact I use the OD service quite a lots both for SKY subscription channels and iPLayer Etc so it is good for that.
      The only reason for keeping the older boxes (I have 1, others have 3 and 4 units) is the analogue output, which is distributed to a number of TV's in bedrooms, lounges, and guest rooms Etc over 5+ year old analogue switchers and CAT5 cable. The cable is actually capable of carrying HDMI signals if we upgrade, and I could use a HDMI extender over CAT5 which will be OK at 1080i.
      The issue is the guys with 3 and 4 box systems where the distribution system would need to be upgraded to HDMI too and that gets pricey. It will have to happen in the end, but if we can put it off a little longer they'd be happy.
      It sounds from what you've said they I should encourage them to change, but the "great switch off" fear is probably not real.
      I'll start get comparing HDMI - Component converter reviews and see if the cost / benefit make any sense.

Thx Doc'

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

In a post I have read from a staff member on the Sky forum this morning, it does look like all the Sky+ and Sky+ HD (Thomson models only) are affected. They won't be turning off the service which the Thomsons deal with until everyone has had an opportunity to upgrade, but it will happen.

If you are only using the feed for the guest rooms, why not consider a Freeview STB for their TV viewing and pass the UHF feed from the Sky+ HD STB to each room instead of using the phono leads?

A good quality powered splitter should serve all the rooms. Whilst the rooms will only be limited to mono sound and SD picture using this method, it will still work.

The alternative would be to install a SkyHD STB in each room. This would add 10.50 for each one to your monthly bill.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.