Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Like Tree7Likes

Inside the 2TB Sky+ HD Box

This is a discussion on Inside the 2TB Sky+ HD Box within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I did this with my sky box a few months ago using a similar guide, was quite interesting (!) Amazingly ...

Chug a Bug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yes
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: Inside the 2TB Sky+ HD Box

I did this with my sky box a few months ago using a similar guide, was quite interesting (!) Amazingly i got it all put back together and it still works!

They certainly don't make it easy do they? One might suspect it's intentional...

2. Advertisement
      jeallen01 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208581
      Broadband ISP: Virgin 20MBs (occasionally, when no-one else is logged in!) Cable
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I've tried looking for that Hitachi drive via several search engines with little luck - especially in Europe (let alone the UK) - and where they are available, they seem to be over 200!

Looks like the concept of upgrading existing DRX890's with this disk is pretty much a no-go - Sky or it's suppliers must have bought the lot!

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeallen01 View Post
      I've tried looking for that Hitachi drive via several search engines with little luck - especially in Europe (let alone the UK) - and where they are available, they seem to be over 200!Looks like the concept of upgrading existing DRX890's with this disk is pretty much a no-go - Sky or it's suppliers must have bought the lot!
      There has been some good feedback from using Western Digital PVR HDDs. It's the Seagate drives that have been giving all the trouble. There may be a problem with the latest ExPVR beta depending on which version of Windows it's being run on.

Lucas Sky Walker is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: 2TB DRX895W x2
      Thanks

Wow, skys new rip off i see, the internals are the exact same as my spare DRX890! Theyve just slapped in a 2tb hdd put a nice looking enclosure on it and put a high price tag on it! You could get a free DRX890 and upgrade the hdd for cheaper

Lucas Sky Walker is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: 2TB DRX895W x2
      Thanks

Some of the older hd boxes have used western digital drives my own expirence has been brilliant DRX890 are currently supplied with seagate pipeline drives mine has been good then again the box was only 4 month old until i upgraded to the DRX895

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Why is it a rip-off?

The DRX89x series has proven to be the most reliable Sky STB (Quote from Sky's statement January 2013).

Sure it would be lovely to have quite a few changes to the next range. From what I can see though this was a change from the 1.5TB drive installed in the first DRX895 STBs and sold as the '1TB Sky+ HD STB' I would also argue it was a recognition that a lot of us were upgrading our own DRX890s to house a 2TB drive as well as the continual drop in hard drive prices and improved reliability.

As for the price tag, the DRX895 was always a little more money than the DRX890. There are some really good deals at the present time for existing customers wanting to upgrade (49 in many cases) and even better for new Sky customers (it is available for free in some deals).

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Why is it a rip-off?

The DRX89x series has proven to be the most reliable Sky STB (Quote from Sky's statement January 2013).

Sure it would be lovely to have quite a few changes to the next range. From what I can see though this was a change from the 1.5TB drive installed in the first DRX895 STBs and sold as the '1TB Sky+ HD STB' I would also argue it was a recognition that a lot of us were upgrading our own DRX890s to house a 2TB drive as well as the continual drop in hard drive prices and improved reliability.

As for the price tag, the DRX895 was always a little more money than the DRX890. There are some really good deals at the present time for existing customers wanting to upgrade (49 in many cases) and even better for new Sky customers (it is available for free in some deals).
      No, no, nooooo!
      Do not discuss *free* 2Tb boxes, please, (it just makes my job harder ;-))...Sky should really make this deal only for existing customers who re-contract, but instead they make a mockery of their own systems and for the most part it's just cannibalizing existing customers to get this "new" customer deal.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Oops, sorry. My lips are sealed. I won't tell anyone about the offer I saw the other day.

Of course Sky does keep changing these deals and a lot of Thomson STB owners are still waiting for their free replacement DRX890 (or perhaps a DRX895 {wishful thinking}) STB. Many have received theirs, but many more have yet to do so.

I did look at eBay yesterday to see how much the Openreach Fibre modem was selling for. I came across a few good deals but one that I saw really made me laugh. Just in case, I won't say too much about it but let you judge for yourselves:

Full Sky Setup 2 sky HD boxes DRX 895, new fiber router and openreach modem | eBay

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

DRounding is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Many, many thanks for posting this info. It was invaluable in helping me replace my faulty 2Tb HDD in my out of warranty sky box.
      Scubbie likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123