Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Distribution Question - Sky+HD / Freesat / Freeview

This is a discussion on Distribution Question - Sky+HD / Freesat / Freeview within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; This is going to be two separate cases in one, but do overlap in the principals. Case 1; My current ...

WannabeMKII is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Distribution Question - Sky+HD / Freesat / Freeview

This is going to be two separate cases in one, but do overlap in the principals.

Case 1;

My current config is Sky+HD & Sky+ to SPC4, to loft distribution box and dropped into various rooms.

However, we'd like to add Freesat into the mix, as our Panasonic TV has it built in.

So what is the best way to do it? I've 2 spare inputs on the SPC4, do I feed that and then plug into TV? Or do I feed the TV directly from the LNB?

Case 2;

A customer has 2 x Sky+HD and Freeview feed into SPC4F, to Labgear MSA263LP/S dropped to 3 rooms.

1 of the rooms has Freeview built in to the TV, which is fine as we can get Freeview and Sky, but the other 2 rooms have separate Freeview boxes. Am I therefore right in thinking that they need 2 feeds to the rooms, 1 for Freeview and 1 for Sky? If that's the case, I was looking at the LabgearCA121-F or Global tvLINK T120. Has anyone used either of these? Will they work OK with the distribution amplifier already being in place?

I hope that all makes sense...?

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Distribution Question - Sky+HD / Freesat / Freeview

Answer Case 1

Freesat will specifically require a port on the LNB. Most LNBs supplied have only 4 ports. Since you already have Sky+ HD & Sky+, you will need to consider getting an Octo-port LNB.

Answer Case 2

Check the specs. Does it specifically state that it has the ability to pass the TV-Link signal through the amp in the manual? Most new amps will now do this.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Answer Case 1

Freesat will specifically require a port on the LNB. Most LNBs supplied have only 4 ports. Since you already have Sky+ HD & Sky+, you will need to consider getting an Octo-port LNB.
      This isn't a problem, as that's easy enough to do, but I'm not sure on the correct way to wire it from the LNB? To the TV, or to the SPC4?

Answer Case 2

Check the specs. Does it specifically state that it has the ability to pass the TV-Link signal through the amp in the manual? Most new amps will now do this.
      They do, but wanted to check they can pass through twice and wondered if anyone has tried?

Thanks

The LNB feed must go directly to the LNB input on the TV. I'm not sure about the SPC4, is that a UHF booster for terrestrial signals? If so, forget it. Otherwise the signals are the same.

As for running two or three or more Magic-eyes off one amp, this is possible.

Could I suggest that you hint about Sky adding planner access to the latest firmware and that planner sharing should be added next year.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The LNB feed must go directly to the LNB input on the TV. I'm not sure about the SPC4, is that a UHF booster for terrestrial signals? If so, forget it. Otherwise the signals are the same.
      The SPC4 is used to allow more than 1 input into the distributor. I use it to control 2 a Sky+HD and Sky+ box from any room and I have them on 2 different channels on our TV's. So it doesn't doing any boosting, it's purely to allow more inputs and to be able to control them independently so no clash in remote signals.

As for running two or three or more Magic-eyes off one amp, this is possible.
      I already have 3 eyes running, but wanted to check 2 amps between eye and box is OK. I think a bit of trial and error is needed... :-)

Could I suggest that you hint about Sky adding planner access to the latest firmware and that planner sharing should be added next year.
      I could, but I don't work for Sky ;-)

Thanks

Ok, with regards to the SPC4, the feed from the LNB definitely needs to go directly to the TV in the same that it should be going to each Sky STB.

Quote Originally Posted by WannabeMKII View Post
      I could, but I don't work for Sky ;-)
      Nor do I

I was making the suggestion as it might be worth suggesting. When it is finally released you should be able to use the DRX595 (SkyHD) STB to access the recordings on the sky+ HD STB.

The iPad application already allows people to access the planner and select items to be played on the TV. A version for the PC was accidentaly released but promptly removed. This apparently worked in the same way. The day it was available I was a bit busy so missed it . It is hoped that similar apps will also be available for other tablets and smart phones. We also hope that you will be able to play the content on your tablets, phones and laptops.

The only current stipulation is that all the devices are on the same LAN.