Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Replacing faulty Sky Digibox

This is a discussion on Replacing faulty Sky Digibox within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Sky repairman took my old box The thread was closed before I could give my advice. The analogies used were ...

MartinP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Slingbox
      Thanks

Replacing faulty Sky Digibox

Sky repairman took my old box

The thread was closed before I could give my advice. The analogies used were inaccurate where a Sky+ or Sky+HD Digibox is involved. It's not at all like car insurance. What is happening is that the Sky installer is taking away your Digibox and effectively a dozen DVDs from your video library as well. I.e. you paid for some recorded programmes but you may not have watched them.

However, your remedy is simple. Write to Sky (note the word "write" not "phone"), explain your loss in the simplest terms (listing the programmes not watched, as far as you can remember), and ask for compensation. At their discretion, they may offer you, for example, half price movies for a limited period, or similar. If you prefer sports to movies, you could even (politely) suggest a limited period sports package as compensation. This costs Sky nothing but it's obviously valuable to you.

I hope this helps.

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Replacing faulty Sky Digibox

The OP was advised to complain and was provided with the contact details on how to do this. However the OP was not interested in lost programs and seemed more interested in retaining a faulty box to sell on.

MartinP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Slingbox
      Thanks

Yes, I understood that and I see why you quite rightly closed the discussion. I added my 2 cents worth for others who might be interested to know that Sky will look on requests for compensation favourably, in most cases.

There have been many reported cases, in various forums, where the installer has, on request, left the faulty Digibox. However, this is not AFAIK a legal right and, if the answer is "no", then there's not much you can do about it. End of story, I think!

davemurgatroyd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01865
      Sky TV: SkyHD multiroom
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
      and effectively a dozen DVDs from your video library
      Under copyright laws this is not allowed - the only allowance for recording is for "time shifting for a reasonable period" (Even of free channels) and NOT for purpose of building a video library. The only exceptions to this is for material that is in the public domain because either the rights have expired or it was placed there.