Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Thomson Sky HD - No signal being recieved

This is a discussion on Thomson Sky HD - No signal being recieved within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi Need some help I currently have a Thomson SkyHD box i think its the 1st gen with sky+ I ...

awhite01 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Thomson Sky HD - No signal being recieved

Hi
      Need some help I currently have a Thomson SkyHD box i think its the 1st gen with sky+
      I have an issue as in I am recieving "No satelite signal being recieved" but on on certain channels such channel 5,Living tv around 24 channels.
      I phoned up technical & ended up resetting the LNB then selecting sky+ rebuild which did housekeeping then when it switched off I was told to unplug hold down the backup button then switch on it done a software update took about ten mins when I pressed the sky button some of the channels that were not working are ok but still some like ch5 still recieve no signal i've checked the back of the box anyone have any ideas.

Also I have a pace sky+ box in another room the only channels I don't get is music channels except the MTV ones there fine could it be the dish my dad went up to see if there were any issues with the cables as they go across the roof he does notice some patch work been done i'll explain when I got skyhd installed the 3rd party engineers that were sent out by sky asked if we wanted white or black cables & seeing as we had sky+ already installed with black cables we said ok to the white ones we have noticed today that there are 3 black cables & one white cable going into the dish when my dad went up to check he noticed that a black cable has been patched to a white cable with black tape could this be an issue?

also would there be any issues if I asked for a new dish & new cables to be put through the loft would sky reject this?

cheers for any help you can provide.

p.s the thomson box is not compatible with anytime+

2. Advertisement
      gunny2k9 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shenley Church End
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB
      Thanks

Re: Thomson Sky HD - No signal being recieved

The Thomson HD ... no signal is probly the PowerSupply inside the unit is damaged .. as in the Caps on the PSU are bad and hence the PSU/Caps need replacing (common fault) ...

I had the same with a thomson hd box a few weeks back got a refurbished PSU and its fixed the issue myself ... after phoning up sky and getting it replaced any way

AS u have the thomson hd box .. PHONE UP sky and tell them u hava an old thomson hd box, its giving problems and you ve heard about a thomson swap out deal (if they have no idea what ur on about.. put phone down and call again to get someone else) .. they should either offer u a free replacement box an Amstrad drx890 500gb (250gb personal) .vs thomson hd is a 300gb (160gb personal)... or they may ask 49 the replacement ....

as u have an old pace as well you may try like we i did and say i have multiroom and you like both replaced and see what they say / do as a deal

its all about getting the right person at sky to bargin with .. as example i got the new Amstrad DRX895 1.5tb (1Tb personal) for 99 as i phoned up and made a deal ..now go to sky website and they will state its 249 -- mind you we have been a sky customer for about 5 years now so this helped i think too

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,246 Times in 2,108 Posts

Re: Thomson Sky HD - No signal being received

It should be pointed out that the free-swap offer is for those who are unable to get Sky Anytime+.

Part of the pre-requisites for Anytime+ is having Sky BB Home Lite or Sky BB Unlimited.

The OP has Virgin BB and would therefore not be able to receive Anytime+. It is possible that the person on the phone may refuse on this basis.

Also the 1TB model is being sold for 49 under this deal, not 99. Both options have to be performed by an engineer, although some members have done the upgrade themselves early on.

The engineer visit costs around 15 I believe.

The engineer should take your old Thomson away, but you may be left the STB. If you wish to keep any recordings, then look at Extract+ or record them to a DVD or PVR now.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

The loss of channels on both boxes could be due to:

- the Thomson's PSU problem as already suggested. Very commonplace nowadays. This can also affect another digibox ( your Pace ) on the same LNB.

- Do you have a cordless phone near the Pace box? These DECT phones interfere on the downconverted frequency with certain music channels, eg Flava, Bliss,Scuzz, DanceNation,Tiny Pop, NME TV etc.

- that join in the white cable. May not have been properly done, and water may have got into the cable. Which box does it feed?

Sounds as though your dish, LNB & cabling have been around a while, and irrespective of what may/may not be wrong with the Thomson, new external gear may be needed.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

kenbroxson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

All thompson boxes are being replaced as they will not provide a firmware update for they're boxes sky has dropped as a box provider.
      This may be the issue with your current box. It certainly was with mine.
      Prior to them replacing my unit had lots of issues accessing channels on the box confused:. Thought this was initially because i had an issue with the dish/cabling. When the new box was added I informed the installation engineer that he may have to address that problem before he would be able to get the new box to work. The engineer was not too concerned about this and in fact assured me that this was probably being caused due to the Thompson box I had installed not being compatible with the new Sky systems. Low and behold when he had installed the new box all the signals were excellent and no issues with receiving any of the channels that were previously so problematic.

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Your Thomson signal problems had nothing to do with software or compatibility as described by your 'helpful' Sky bod. They were in all probability caused by your PSU being semi kaput - the cause of 99% of Thomson performance issues nowadays.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),