Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Communal dish

This is a discussion on Communal dish within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, New to this and hope someone can help me. My Sky + HD was installed in August 2010 and ...

lisanwilliam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01753
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Communal dish

Hi,
      New to this and hope someone can help me. My Sky + HD was installed in August 2010 and I've never had any problems with it. I live in a 3 storey block of 10 flats and there is a communal dish with only one feed. Yesterday afternoon my neighbour in the flat directly beneath me had Sky installed. At the same time my Sky signal went off (error 29) and my TV aerial also stopped working.

My landlord is A2 (social housing) and they are not interested as it's not their dish, Sky dont want to know either because my box was installed by isat, an independent installer arranged through Sky. I tried contacting isat but their customer service closes at 5pm but sales open til 8pm...funny that!

Is this my fault and just a coincidence? Or has the person that installed Sky downstairs interrupted my cabling and unwittingly cut off all signal to my HD box?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
      Lisa

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Communal dish

Hi Lisa,

Long story short. This is not your fault. If it is a communal dish then it's the responsibility of the building maintenance company to have this fixed. You should have a utility room somewhere inside the block which will contain a multiplexer which distributes the main feed from your dish. See if you can find this.

And how accessible Is the communal dish?

Give the following thread a read too. Slightly different scenario but if you get no where with the freeholder on this you will have to push Sky to get it sorted themselves.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-s...os-liable.html

lisanwilliam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01753
      Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I'm off to hunt for this multiplexer thing right now, and then to read the other thread.

Thanks so much :-)

Bantz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Thanks

I've just registered here as I have a similar problem to Lisa's.

I've been having continual 'no signal' problems and I'm on a communal dish. With my new box (3 weeks old), I am only receiving about 10 channels (excluding BBC1-CH4).

I have had several Sky engineers come out and test my wall faceplate and each time a signal problem has been observed with their equipment.

I have even had them explain to our caretaker (employed by building management) that an issue exists somewhere along the system and that it's probably an easy fix. Obviously Sky did not install the system so they cannot go into the loft to investigate.

The response I keep getting from building management is that if there was a problem, other residents would be complaining too -therefore the problem lies with my equipment. I know of another resident who had the same problem and moved on shortly after.

I have replaced my box, cables (in my flat) etc... to no avail. The company who installed the system refuse to have anything to do with our complex as they say they no longer maintain our system -though our caretaker continues to give their number out. The caretaker also added that the dish/system is not maintained as it's working fine.

I'm now in a situation where building management simply ignore my problem on the basis that "nobody else is complaining", nobody is responsible for our system and their is no maintenance contract, other engineers refuse to investigate as they didn't install the dish and I'm stuck in a contract with Sky.

-Is building management/ my landlords within their rights to ignore my complaint?

-Is it possible to pay an engineer myself to go and have a look at my connection in the loft if I explain that there isn't anybody actually responsible for it anymore?

-Shouldn't the maintenance part of my rent include this type of fault?

-If the situation continues, would Sky allow me to suspend my account until I move home? -I was waiting to see my landlords response to this before deciding whether or not to renew my contract.

Apologies for the length of my message, I'm just at my wits end.

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

If nobody else is having problems, you may just have a problem with the wallplate itself. Did the Sky people remove it and test the signal directly from the cable behind, or did they just measure the signal from the external SAT socket? Sounds as though you have an older system, and dust/muck may have gathered inside the wallplate, and that may be reducing the signal level.. There may also be a touch of corrosion or oxidisation inside the plate and the connector.

For info, read Standard Wallplate Wiring. Your cable may be kinked as described in the link, or the outer copper braid is coming into contact with the centre core of the cable.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

I thought that they'd managed to shoot those people who insist that everything must be fine because no one else is complaining?

I strongly suspect that you do have rights and that it is unacceptable for anyone to insist that there can't be a problem when clearly the person hasn't investigated anything.

Check with CAB what your rights are in this instance. Take a copy of your flat lease/rental contract with you, as well as a copy of your contract with the management company.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

ktitchard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWWSM
      Broadband ISP: Be*
      Thanks

Hi all I too have the very same problem. I live in a 3 story block of flats with a crappy communal system. Our bottom floor neighbor had sky recently installed now I only get a few channels and lots of 'no signal' errors. Like above the management company said as no-body has complained there is no fault. Sky sent an Engineer out to asses the problem, he replaced the box (for a test) he then did a signal test from within the flat and the cupboard and said its a problem with the splitters/boosters in the cupboard. The flat is my own and is not rented.

This happened to me once before and I did fix it but cant remember how. Things I did do...

1. Reset the power to whole TV system in the cupboard
      2. Moved the Cables around on the splitter (cables to the flats/Sky boxes)
      3. disconnected cables between sky box and wall plate and re-connected them
      4. OTA upgrade
      5. Full System Reset (THIS deletes all recordings)
      6. LNB Reset (Sky Menu, Settings 01 SELECT) to hidden menu
      7. Bought in-line signal amplifiers for my connections (installed MID Line)

Has anyone had any success?

ktitchard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWWSM
      Broadband ISP: Be*
      Thanks

Just an update....

I followed these instructions and touch wood so far it worked. I can watch channels that I couldnt do before.

LNB Reset

This process will reset the LNB (Low Noise Block convertor) on your satellite dish and re-establish the satellite reception and ensure the correct settings are in place.

1. Press services and you will see the main menu with Options highlighted.
      2. Highlight the Settings menu using the right arrow button and press select. Picture is highlighted on middle menu bar by default.
      3. Press 0 (zero), 1 then select to access the Installer Setup menu (this menu is not listed on the Settings menu options). Setup is highlighted by default.
      4. Press select to see the Setup menu displayed with Lo band Lo Frequency highlighted.

The correct LNB Set Up values should read:

- LNB Type: Standard (visible only on some models of HD)
      - Low Band LO Frequency 9.75
      - High Band LO Frequency 10.60
      - LNB Power Supply ON
      - 22 KHz Command ON
      - Single Feed Mode OFF (or ON for communal systems)

5. Highlight LNB power supply and toggle the setting to OFF using the left/right arrow buttons.
      6. Highlight 22 KHz command and toggle the setting to OFF using the left/right arrow buttons.
      7. Press the green button to save your settings. Setup is highlighted on the middle menu bar by default.
      8. Press select to re-enter Setup menu. Lo band Lo Frequency is highlighted.
      9. Press the red button to reset the default settings - this will switch both settings back to ON.
      10. If single feed is enabled before doing the LNB Reset please ensure that it is set to ON after resetting the default settings.
      11. Press green to save settings. Setup is highlighted on the middle menu bar.
      12. Confirm that the settings have been reset and saved successfully.
      13. Highlight TX' PONDER - it will become Default Trp when highlighted.
      14. Press select to highlight Frequency.

The correct Default Transponder values should read:

- Frequency 11.778
      - Polarisation V
      - Symbol Rate (Mbaud) 27.5
      - FEC 2/3

15. Press red button to reset default settings (if they are already correct no change will be visible).
      16. Press green button to save settings. Default Trp is highlighted on the middle menu bar.
      17. Confirm that the settings have been reset and saved successfully.
      18. Press Sky button to return to normal viewing.