Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Is My Thomson HD Box Faulty?

This is a discussion on Is My Thomson HD Box Faulty? within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I am in Italy and have had a trouble free time with my Sky Digibox, until now. While I was ...

justpressplay is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Is My Thomson HD Box Faulty?

I am in Italy and have had a trouble free time with my Sky Digibox, until now. While I was away high winds shifted the dish (1.9m). When I came back I had no signal and not locked. The dish was re aligned and correctly set, and now I have the epg and the 1st input is at 90% strength and 90% quality and the 2nd input much the same. However I am getting "NO satellite signal is being recieved" .
      I have rebooted the box, gone into the installer menu and reset, still no luck, so i decided to do do the new install option and I get Default Transponder not found ... and then the epg dissapears after I tried all sorts of transponders as advised on this forum. No Luck and then the epg dissapears with the usual no listings etc. On a reboot the epg comes back with the epg and the tv guide works showing the latest programming, but still no signal.
      I assumed it was the LNB. So I took it to my sisters house and her setup works, swapped for my box and I get exactly the same problem, no sattelite signal, but still and updated epg.
      Does anyone know what has caused this and what i should be doing?
      Any help will be greatly appreciated.
      S.H

2. Advertisement
      Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Re: Is My Thomson HD Box Faulty?

You have the usual problem with these Thomson boxes. It happens sooner or later, and the cause of your woes is failing capacitors on the Power Supply Unit ( PSU ). Don't worry, it is fixable, and you are not alone.

You need a RELKIT33JS sent to you by Satcure ( Carefully read Thomson power supply notes ), and you can get a local bod to do the desolder/soldering on your behalf, or you can send off for an exchange PSU.

Or you can source another box from somewhere.

Also use the Search function at the top of the page for more on 'Thomson PSU'. You are the latest in a mile-long queue of unfortunates who have suffered this extremely common problem with Thomsons. ( including myself - 3 times, before I wised up and did the Satcure fix. ). If you are going for the repair option, a new HDD is advisable, as the existing one can be damaged by this power problem. Or you could wait and see if the present HDD is still OK.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),