Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Amstrad 1.5TB DRX895 Sky+HD Box getting it tomorrow

This is a discussion on Amstrad 1.5TB DRX895 Sky+HD Box getting it tomorrow within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I ordered this box a few days ago from a online satellite equipment shop. It is due to get delivered ...

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Amstrad 1.5TB DRX895 Sky+HD Box getting it tomorrow

I ordered this box a few days ago from a online satellite equipment shop. It is due to get delivered tomorrow.

This will be the first HD box I have owned (I have just had Sky+ up to now). I realise I will need to contact Sky to have my box registered with them for the likes of using Remote Record and also me viewing card paired with my new box and also to have the HD channels added to my present Sky TV subscription.

I would not be having the HD box connected to the telephone socket (I would have it connected to my Sky Broadband router though). Is there anything else I would need to do, for example a forced manual update ( has I believe this box has a yellow sticker on it advising the owner to do this).

It's just I have read a few reports that mention about this model of HD box having problems with some version of the software and I wondered if it would be advisable to do a force update on the box?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Amstrad 1.5TB DRX895 Sky+HD Box getting it tomorrow

Unless it is out of date, all should be fine. The current versions are:

Software: SYSF26.59.01
      EPG: 40.0.14.1

I wouldn't change things in a hurry too fast myself. If it should play up, who do you blame?

The current Darwin software is buggy and Sky are aware of many of the issues. There is a fix going out this week, which may or may not work better. It is available only as a manual download on Tuesday evening to early Wednesday:

Update Early release of 26.70.

Many of the known issues have not yet been addressed though. There is a full list on the posting on the above link.

As for connecting it to the telephone line, personally I believe that this is a good idea as it means some features are available, such as Box Office and ability to check your account via the STB.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Unless it is out of date, all should be fine. The current versions are:

Software: SYSF26.59.01
      EPG: 40.0.14.1

I wouldn't change things in a hurry too fast myself. If it should play up, who do you blame?

The current Darwin software is buggy and Sky are aware of many of the issues. There is a fix going out this week, which may or may not work better. It is available only as a manual download on Tuesday evening to early Wednesday:

Update Early release of 26.70.

Many of the known issues have not yet been addressed though. There is a full list on the posting on the above link.

As for connecting it to the telephone line, personally I believe that this is a good idea as it means some features are available, such as Box Office and ability to check your account via the STB.
      Thanks for the info/help Scubbie its much appreciated. I'll check the software, EPG versions when I receive the box, and if they are the current versions I won't bother with the upcoming update for the time been.

The reason I didn't want to connect my HD box up to my telephone line was because; a while back when I had my upto 8 meg broadband, I always synced at the maximum sync for an upto 8 meg broadband connection (it had been like that for years). I connected my Sky box up to the telephone line and shortly after this my downstream sync speed dropped by roughly a quarter. The only thing that had changed was me connecting my Sky box up to my telephone line.

Now however, I am on Sky's Unlimited upto 20 meg broadband, which you know is a LLU service. I am just wondering, if I connect my new Sky HD box up to the telephone line, would I suffer the same problem has before (i.e. dropped downstream sync) or does Sky Unlimited not suffer this problem with it been a LLU service?

Thanks again Scubbie for the help its much appreciated

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The current Darwin software is buggy and Sky are aware of many of the issues.
      All very true but most of the complaints are from early adopters of the 1TB box, who had existing recordings when Darwin was introduced. Later users report fewer problems - I'm in that category, I forced the Darwin software immediately on install and I've had very few problems with the box (looks around for wood to touch), nothing more serious than one planner rebuild and having to reboot a few times, which you can get with any software upgrade.

I think some of the early problems will also be hardware related - Amstrad aren't too consistent with the internal components they use and some just don't get on.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tal71 View Post
      ...I connected my Sky box up to the telephone line and shortly after this my downstream sync speed dropped by roughly a quarter. The only thing that had changed was me connecting my Sky box up to my telephone line...
      Daft point, but could it be that you had the splitter that feeds you Sky+ HD Box connected to your BT Socket before the ADSL Filter?

The splitter has some red writing on it, saying something like "Do not remove". The ADSL Filter will typically have two different looking sockets, one with phone written beside it, the other with 'Modem'.

As seen on a couple of other threads elsewhere on this forum, you must plug the ADSL filter in before anything else. If you have half a dozen extensions, each must have it's own filter.

The only change to this policy would be if you are plugging the extensions into the Filter at the master socket or you have a filtered plate on the master socket.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The thing is though. I haven't used Box Office in years (and haven't really missed it) and I check my Sky account when I'm on my PC or my iPad.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks everyone for the help its much appreciated.

I received my 1.5 TB HD box yesterday. I had to do a force update to it because the Anytime + service (Network option in the box's settings wasn't there before the update). I have the Amstrad 1.5TB hooked up to my Ethernet switcher which in turn is connected to my Sky broadband router, I have downloaded a couple of programmes from Anytime + to test the feature and all worked fine.

Really impressed with the Amstrad 1.5TB, its very very quiet compared to the Thompson I used to have (which you always knew when it had switched on to record because of the whirring sound that came from the fans and hard drive). The only noise I can hear from the Amstrad 1.5TB is when Anytime is active and if I'm sitting at my desk which is 3 feet away I can hear the occasional noise has the hard drive is getting accessed. But I have yet to hear any fan sound coming from the Amstrad

Really like the new TV guide on the Amstrad 1.5TB, way more user friendly and has more useful features than the old guide I had on my Thompson.

I like the dark grey colour of the Amstrad 1.5TB better because my TV, Blu Ray, PS3 are all black and the Amstrad looks a lot better on the stand compared to the very light grey of my old Thompson Sky+.

SD picture quality seems the same (good) as the Thompson. HD quality on my 40 inch Sony LCD is excellent (obviously some HD programs are better than others due to age of the program etc). I recorded The Lakes on ITV1HD last night and I was very very happy with the HD picture quality.

A 5 minute phone call to Sky with the box details, card details and that was all the HD channels switched on and card paired up.