Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can't play recorded HD programs

This is a discussion on Can't play recorded HD programs within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, Well this has me stumped think my box is broke It all started last Thursday after we had 3 ...

chronic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Can't play recorded HD programs

Hi,
      Well this has me stumped think my box is broke It all started last Thursday after we had 3 blackouts was working fine before this, the problems I listed..

Can watch HD or SD no problem
      Can record HD or SD no problem
      Cannot play back HD recording its all corrupted, the picture and sound is a mess.
      Can play back SD no problem

The box is a Thomson HD with upgraded power supply (high power) been running fine for the last 6months with new capacitors no crashes no failed recordings no nothing

I find it weird I can watch SD program which has been recorded but not a HD ???

Anyone got an idea ???

2. Advertisement
      simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Can't play recorded HD programs

Hard drive is probably going. Standard def stuff doesnt require as much read/write thoroughput to record and playback successfully as the high definition stuff. Have you tried recording one hd and one sd at the same time whilst watching another program? I'm reckoning you'll have some kind of problem when doing that.
      I'm not surprised it would happen after several blackouts, hard drives last longer when they are kept running at a constant temperature, they stop working faster if they are spun (and therefore cooled) down and started back up repeatadly.

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Thanks

I would say it was the hard drive too. It may have just got corrupted during the power outages, so it might only need a complete reset. If not, hard drives don't cost a fortune these days.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Guys for help..

Installed a Western Digital Caviar 500GB Black and all is well was very easy to do really..

Thanks again...

Sky Update is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 020
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Western Digital Caviar 500GB Black is extremely bad ! I've had it for over 6 months now and have called sky to change it to something better . It dosent let you record more then 5 programmes in 2 months - Its unbelievable . Im not a tv addict so i dont really record programmes alot however one time i found a few interesting programmes in 1 week that i decided to record but with the 500 gb caviar being rubbish it didn't allow me to record my 5 programmes . Hope u find another .[

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

A Full System Reset in the menu ( Services, 0, 0, 1, Select, then Option 8 - System Reset ) is required for a 500Gb hard drive that has not been formatted previously with Sky Copy+ to transfer recordings from another drive. Otherwise the hard drive is not correctly formatted.

I specifically upgraded my Thomson with a WD5000AVDS, designed for AV applications, and have loaded it to 97% of recording storage capacity without incident. Also upgraded the PSU at the same time.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Update View Post
      Western Digital Caviar 500GB Black is extremely bad ! I've had it for over 6 months now and have called sky to change it to something better . It dosent let you record more then 5 programmes in 2 months - Its unbelievable . Im not a tv addict so i dont really record programmes alot however one time i found a few interesting programmes in 1 week that i decided to record but with the 500 gb caviar being rubbish it didn't allow me to record my 5 programmes . Hope u find another .[
      Well you not done a full reset then, I recorded 5 programs yesterday and two was in HD it took 4% for space should have taken 6% going off info banner..

The drive I removed was a Western Digital 320gig so adding 500gig is more than enough for me...

Also noticed two thing with me upgrading hard-drive the Menu system is Really FAST!!! and its silent I can't hear a click or a anything now. If anyone has a noisey Hard-drive get a Western Digital Caviar drive they Very Good...
      Last edited by chronic; 14-05-10 at 02:30 PM.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

One thing why would SKY change your **unofficial** self upgraded hard disk?

jasonmark38 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

If you're not a TV addict, and don't really record programmes a lot, then why upgrade the hard drive in the first place? Surely the standard hard drive would have enough recording space for you? It would also allow you to record more than 5 programmes in 2 months. It sounds to me like the upgrade was incorrectly done.