Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Audio Output? & Lip Sinc

This is a discussion on Audio Output? & Lip Sinc within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; The sound on my HD channels appears to be behind the lip movement. What is the best sound setting to ...

highdef is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01444
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Audio Output? & Lip Sinc

The sound on my HD channels appears to be behind the lip movement.
      What is the best sound setting to have on my HD box?
      Will adjustment upset the SD Channels?
      Digital Audio Output: Normal or Dolby?
      Digital Audio Output Delay: 0ms?

2. Advertisement
      Around Sound is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0116270
      Broadband ISP: Retailer (Ex Sky seller)
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Audio Output? & Lip Sinc

This is a good question and one which we come across a lot. The more information your TV set has to process and the better the TV set is, the more likely you are to have lip sync problems especially if you are using a separate surround sound system. However as most manufacturers are aware of this there are adjustments you can make. For example, we usually set Sky HD boxes to 80ms delay which seems about right most of the time. However, if you switch from HD prime time movie to early afternoon awful Sky 2 old American crime story there will be a noticeable difference. I am afraid you will sometimes have to compensate for this.
      If the sound is going straight to the TV digitally it will usually be very close however if you are sending the sound through a surround sound system then again, there may be a dely.
      Sorry there is not a yes or no answer but I hope this puts you at ease that your equipment is not faulty.
      Around Sound

Dave48 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Greenwich
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Audio Output? & Lip Sinc

I've seen a few posts about this subject but to be honest I've never had any problems with lip sync.

I have a Samsung box with the sound going to an Onkyo 507 via a short digital coaxial cable and picture directly to the TV (Sony) via HDMI. The audio is set to Dolby and delay 0ms.

I've not checked daytime broadcasts so can't comment on that.
      Sony KDL40V4000 - Sony BDP-S350 BluRay - Onkyo TX-SR507 - Energy Take Classic 5.1 Speakers - Samsung SKY+HD - Digital Stream DHR8205 - Xbox 360 - PS3 Slim 320GB - Harmony One - iMac 27" 3.1 Ghz Intel Core i5.