Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Amstrad Sky HD+ Box, SD Picture Quality & Lip Sync Problems

This is a discussion on Amstrad Sky HD+ Box, SD Picture Quality & Lip Sync Problems within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi I'm having similar lip sync problems with my Amstrad HD box. Went over to hd about 18 months ago. ...

indie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01279
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Amstrad Sky HD+ Box, SD Picture Quality & Lip Sync Problems

Hi
      I'm having similar lip sync problems with my Amstrad HD box. Went over to hd about 18 months ago. My first box was fine but received a letter from Sky telling me that my box was part of a batch that had known problems so I agreed for them to replace it. At first it seemed ok, then as more and more hd content appeared I started to record much more hd material. I now have to reach round the back and reboot (whch does temporarily fix the problem) nearly every day and it's becoming a real pain. I havn't bothered to telephone sky because my experience in the past is that they are no help at all and call costs are expensive. I'm tempted to just buy a new box but as has been pointed out sky don't give you a choice of box and in any event yet another 250 to 300 when I might get another Amstrad is not on. I'm also fed up with the user storage of only 160gb. I'm thinking of doing a hard drive upgrade to 1tb myself at a cost of about 80. Does anyone know if a new hdd will solve the lip sync problem or is it a software problem that will still be there. With regard to poor picture quality with sky my built in terestrial digital on my Pioneer plasma is significantly superior to sky pictures. I noticed that sky picture quality in SD degraded when they brought out HD. I may be cynical and wrong but I would not put it past sky to have done this deliberately to make HD look so much better.

2. Advertisement
      jasonmark38 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I have one of the so-called faulty Pace boxes, but it was working fine at the time of Sky's requests to change it, which I ignored, especially as it had cost me 250 from a retailer. It has worked fine to this day, so there is, and never was, an issue with my box. I'm so glad I didn't change it, I don't have any of the reported problems with Amstrad, Samsung & Thomson boxes!

The need for frequent rebooting is a sign of an underlying problem with the box. I wouldn't replace the drive in it, as it is very unlikely it will make any difference to the lip sync problem, and the box may be on it's way out. I know this from experience.

Calls to Sky are local rate, or free if you have Sky Talk.

For 65 call-out Sky will replace your box for a refurb with a 3 month+ warranty (don't have another Amstrad!) If after a few weeks you are happy with it, then replace the drive. If not, get Sky to change it again before the warranty is up. I did this when the drive failed in my 1st generation Pace Sky+ box, and was lucky enough to get a 2nd generation Pace Sky+ box which I upgraded the drive on. It worked fine for a few years until I upgraded to Sky HD about 18 months ago, which I had delayed until Pace brought out a Sky HD box.

I take your point about SD picture quality. Have you seen the Sky stands in shopping centres etc where they have a split screen comparing Freeview with Sky HD? It seems to me that they have deliberately blurred the Freeview picture to make it look terrible in comparison to Sky HD. In reality there is nothing wrong with Freeview, in fact it's all some people have.
      Last edited by jasonmark38; 30-04-10 at 09:20 PM.

indie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01279
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for the advice, jasonmark38. If I can persuade sky to replace my box for 65 then that would be the ideal solution. I will insist on Pace which I failed to do with my replacement (brand new) box. It's a shame to lose so many recorded programmes but I have to get this sorted and if I can't I just may go back to my sky+ box which worked perfectly. I don't have sky talk out of principle. When I changed from BT broadband to sky broadband, it was free because I had the full tv package. Then they charged me 5pm for the slightly enhanced speed and downloads. Then they told me that it would be 10 or free if I took out sky talk. This is the way they work. They appear to be shameless. Do people know that if you then cancel the package, you end up without a landline and have to pay all over again to connect to BT. This this how they try and lock you in. I pay these people about 70pm. If there was a viable, cheaper alternative I'd take it but like the political parties vying for power, I suspect they are all as bad as one another.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12