Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Changing channels randomly!!!

This is a discussion on Changing channels randomly!!! within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; My sky HD box is changing channels randomly by itself. Even with the batteries removed from the remote control this ...

Rainy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Changing channels randomly!!!

My sky HD box is changing channels randomly by itself. Even with the batteries removed from the remote control this will still happen. It will even go into the tv guide and select a channel from there while I am watching something else.

I am also struggling to use the remote control, I have put new batteries in and the light on the remote control is coming on when I press a button but the Sky HD box is not picking up the signal.

The box was bought in January 2007 and it has the new menu.

Any ideas anybody?

2. Advertisement
      tonygold is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: gants hill
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Changing channels randomly!!!

could it be a near neighbour whose remote is on the same frequency as yours? this happened to a friend of mine who discovered a neighbour was using a video sender (as my friend was) and when the neighbour changed the channel my friends tv changed also!!!

Azasmith is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Harrowden
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Maybe go around the nearby houses and check if anyone is using a video sender or having issues with Sky, as, presumably, if it's happing to you, it might sometimes happen to them.

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

The most common cause of this problem is an "All In One" remote stuck down the cushion, and being activated when people sit down. If you don't have one, and you don't have a video sender or an extension with a magic eye fitted, then you have a faulty Sky box, and you'll either need to call Sky, or buy another box through an independant source.

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Presumably your remote has been working OK until now. Have you recently installed any wireless gear - broadband router, DECT phone etc? Bought a new tv? Energy saving lighbulbs, or fluorescent lighting? These can all affect the signal from the remote to the digibox. So can sunlight.

Try covering the tv screen, and see if the IR sensor on the digibox blinks in response to the remote. And switch off all lighting and wireless equipment in the room. Wipe over the sensor area on the box with a cloth. Similarly there may be dust on the inside of the box around the sensor.

Try moving the digibox somewhere else, or try another remote.

I see you have an old Thomson. These are particularly good with remotes, until age overcomes them.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),