Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

SkyHD - getting 2 inputs on 1 cable ...

This is a discussion on SkyHD - getting 2 inputs on 1 cable ... within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, I live in an apartment complex with a shared Sky dish and have a single Sky connection on the ...

SteveCBarnes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Crowthorne
      Broadband ISP: Pipex
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

SkyHD - getting 2 inputs on 1 cable ...

Hi,

I live in an apartment complex with a shared Sky dish and have a single Sky connection on the wall that I have plugged my SkyHD box into. I have set this to single line mode and have been using it for the last month or so with the usual restrictions (ie only watch or record 1 channel, no anytime etc etc).

I have discovered from the management company that look after the place that I actually have 2 connections into my apartment (into a cupboard), but only 1 of these is connected through to the wall plate in the lounge (dont ask why!!!).

I would therefore like to get my SkyHD working fully by connecting up the second input and would appreciate suggestions as to the best way to go about this. I can think of:

1) locate the SkyHD box in my storage cupboard. This allows 2 connections, but then i would need a 15m HDMI cable to the lounge and some kind of RF eye to be able to change channel (not keen on this idea!). Also, routing the HDMI cable would be messy.

2) run the second cable to the lounge from the cupboard. This is not really practical as it should really have been done when the apartment was build and would result in a messy cable as per 1) above.

I wonder if the following is possible:

3) Have a box of some kind in the cupboard that both sat feeds connect to, with the single output going to the lounge, with a partner box by the wall plate in the lounge that breaks the signal out of the single feed back into two to go into the SkyHD box - does this make sense, and if so where do I get them?

Any advice gratefully received!

Steve.

2. Advertisement
      Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: SkyHD - getting 2 inputs on 1 cable ...

You could try a set of stacker/destackers. They can work quite well on shorter cable runs, but can be problematic over distances.
      Are you sure that both feeds into your flat are live?
      Are you sure they didn't run 2 cables to the wall socket and just fitted the wrong faceplate? We run a couple of blocks down your way and are in that neck of the woods quite often. 0500225022 if you want to know more.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hiya,

Thanks for the fast reply. Stacker/Destacke is what I was thinking of, but forgot the name of! I wasn't sure if the stacker had to be located at the dish end though (I have no idea of the length of cable to my apartment). I have one of the engineers from the management company coming to see me next week, so I will ask about them.

As far as I know the two feeds to the apartment are live, but this and the faceplate I will get the engineer to check.

Thanks for the info and offer!

Steve.

Thanks

Just out of intrest, whats the name of your managing agents? It might be us comming out to you next week!!!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The management company is Countrywide, but the sat system is managed by a subcontractor called "something" arials ... sorry I can't remember the something!

It's the Dorchester Court complex in Camberley.

Steve.

Thanks

Not us then. Oh well. Just make sure they check it all out thoroughly!
      Good luck!!

jasonx1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: virginmedia
      Broadband ISP: virginmedia
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

if you have a wilkinsons store near you you can get the the fixings to join each off the cables to a new cable which any hardware store sells even wilkinsons all you doing is joing the cables to make it longer then hide the cable under the carpet next to the wall or fix it along the bottom off the wall neatly i did this when i lived in a block off flats and works a treat Maxview Satellite Cable Connecting Kit

here is the link off what you need its easy as making a coffee lol

Maxview Satellite Cable Connecting Kit at Wilkinson Plus
      samsung sky hd 973004(upgraded 500gb) also pace sky hd 9F3004. fitted with a 65cm triax solid dish.
      SAMSUNG PS50B450 50" plasma tv.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-h...d-sky-box.html check this out if our havin probelms