Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Thomson HD playback problem.

This is a discussion on Thomson HD playback problem. within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hello everyone I hope I find you all well. I've just recently started getting problems with playback either with what ...

petebeds is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01582
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Thomson HD playback problem.

Hello everyone I hope I find you all well.

I've just recently started getting problems with playback either with what I've recorded and Anytime.
      I bought a Thomson 902020 about 2 years ago brand new from eBay from a Sky Authorised seller and the box has been working great until now.
      It has the latest EPG.
      The problem I have is during playback. Every so often the picture will shudder/judder and pixelate and the sounds drops too because of this.
      I've gone into the hidden menu and did the Rebuild twice and then a System Reset but I still have the issue.
      So I'm pretty sure my next step would either be changing/upgrading the HDD, calling Sky out and paying them 65 to either fix the box or give me a refurb box or buying a new box again from eBay for around 75 (as I saw one go for last night).
      Ebuyer are doing a 500GB SataII 32MB HDD for around 40 and I'm happy enough to upgrade but only if you could please advise if this has a good chance of resolving my issue. Other than that I may be better off getting another new one off eBay.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Pete

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Re: Thomson HD playback problem.

If it is a Thompson HD box it is most likely a powersupply issue, the Thompsons were built with some underated capacitors.

I had 3 new ones within my 1 year guarentee and then I had to get the last one fixed with a powersupply upgrade kit.

It may be the HDD but my money is on powersupply.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

petebeds is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01582
      Thanks

Thank you very much for your reply.
      I forgot to mention that I don't have any problem just watching what's on now it's only on playback so that's why I went down the HDD road.
      I wonder if it's worth taking the disc out and doing a DSKCHK on it?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

If your going to take the disk out you may as well upgrade it anyway, the extra space will be worth it.

The worst case you still need the PSU repair but at the end of it you will have a good receiver with a large disk.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

eBuyer are also offering a 1 TB Samsung SATA HDD for just over 50 delivered Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM - Ebuyer I fitted one recently to my Thomson HD box and it made the playback of recorded material very much smoother (and things like FF were better).

A 500 GB drive gives your 340 GB whereas a 1 TB drive gives you 840 GB - with 160 GB reserved for Anytime.

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petebeds View Post
      Thank you very much for your reply.
      I forgot to mention that I don't have any problem just watching what's on now it's only on playback so that's why I went down the HDD road.
      I wonder if it's worth taking the disc out and doing a DSKCHK on it?
      DSKCHK won't work. It's not formatted in a way that DSKCHK will understand. As other posters have said - while you've got it out, replace it, but don't forget that to use drives over 500GB, you need the Copy+ utility.

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Try a reformat, followed by a software update. Remove your viewing card. Then:

Reformat. Switch off the digibox at the mains. Hold down, and keep holding down, the left and right navigation buttons on the box ( either side of the 'Select' button ) as you switch on again at the mains. After a second or two, the blue Sky 'ring' will light. Press the 'Select' button - the ring will circle backwards to show it's working. Let it run its course.

Software Update. Make sure your Signal Strengths are OK, then switch off the box at the mains. Hold down, and keep holding down, the backup button on the digibox ( not the remote ) as you switch on again at the mains. When the front LED's light up, let go of the backup button, and the update will start. It takes 10-15 minutes and will leave the box in standby ( red light only ).

The reformat will delete your recordings, See how you get on with that.

If no joy, open up the box and check the PSU. Handy illustrated guide:

Thomson Sky HD repairs and upgrades

Replacement PSU or a caps set for DIY soldering:

Thomson power supply notes
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

SMM75 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

It's probably the PSU because this normally causes problems with Anytime before anything else. I would also replace the drive after 2-3 years anyway. A guide is here: Thomson Sky HD repairs and upgrades