Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Who wants to be a millionaire HDMI- Component cable/converter

This is a discussion on Who wants to be a millionaire HDMI- Component cable/converter within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Yeah that will work but for how long. It`s only a matter of time before sky disables hd output through ...

Kevj is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0117
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Who wants to be a millionaire HDMI- Component cable/converter

Yeah that will work but for how long. It`s only a matter of time before sky disables hd output through component. Freesat has done it to all there Humax HD boxes through a firmware update.
      Plus you will buying a Thomson box and the power supply will probably fail, maybe not right away but it will eventually.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevj View Post
      Yeah that will work but for how long.
      Sky won't disable it I don't think. If they did they would have to buy a lot of customers a new TV

As for cost, 30 or so is about the same as a converter at least.

As for the PSU my old one and 18mths old or so, never failed once. Only after the new EPG did it have any issues. The fact Sky gave me a free call-out and replaced it for a brand new one, makes me think Sky know something we don't.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Kevj is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0117
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Oh well enough said.
      Maybe we should have a poll to find out just how many or how few connect there hd box with component.
      So if sky did disable hd through component we will know how many is likely to be effected.
      P.S I dont think it will be that many considering that the thomson box with component was probably replaced for most.

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kevj View Post
      Because it will only display non copyrighted material. Some channels it will work without any problems and that might be ok for some. But with movie channels and sport, the broadcaster puts in a HDCP signal to protect there content.
      It might be ok for a cheap fix but the only way to get around the problem is to use HDFURY 2
      I know i`m using it right now!
      It's not the only way - the Lektropacks Vision FC4 is cheaper and (IMHO) better. Better because it isn't a heavy "dongle" which puts a strain on the connectors, but a free-standing box. It's cheaper too. It converts the HDMI input to YPbPr or RGBHV, and there's a version for Panasonic users too. I've been using one with my Hitachi 5300 plasma into the VGA input for about 2 years now, and it works just fine. I couldn't use the component outputs on my Thomson box, because the Hitachi only accepts 60Hz signals in the component inputs, whilst the VGA input accepts 1080/50 (but not 720/50).

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

I am running a slingbox off my Thompson HD box through the component connectors.

Tagging this post in case I get a newer box without component.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Sparkymatt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wickford
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stephen.eccles View Post
      Hi Chums
      My 4yr old very nice picture Sony 32" HD ready TV, (1500+, so I'm not scrapping it) doesn't have an HDMI socket.
      Your very nice Sony may have cost 1500 4 yrs ago but is only worth about 400 now. I had a 1000 LG 32" LCD TV bought 3.5 years ago. After 2.5 yrs the screen went but as it was insured tried to get it repaired. They wrote it off and gave me a voucher for 450 saying this is the price of an equivalent replacement. So i decided to take this and put another 270 to wards it and bought a 46" Sharp LCD for 720 a year ago.

Matt

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Thanks

What it's worth is immaterial, if it works well. What I will say is that if I had a TV which I paid 1000 for, and it only lasted 2.5 years, and I was offered a voucher for 450, my next words would be "I'll see you in court". The Sale of Goods Act (2000) says that goods should be fit for purpose, and that doesn't just mean for the duration of the warranty. You have rights for 6 years after purchase.

Sparkymatt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wickford
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I know what your saying " why fix what aint broke", but what you have to realise is thats the world of Plasma and LCD is moving forward and a very fast pace. Its like computers. A year for a computer is very long. Spend 1500 on a PC now and in a year will be worth half of that.

I looked up a replacement screen for my LG LCD and it would have cost 1500. Thats without labour to fit and setup. Why would an insurance company spend that amount when a new TV would cost a third of that. I guess if my TV was still available they would just give me a new one but it wasnt so a voucher for an equivalant TV is the next best thing.

Im not complaing as a got a much bigger and better screen for just over 200. If my LG hadnt broke and I had just upgraded then I would be spending 700+

Matt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12