Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is this another power supply fault?

This is a discussion on Is this another power supply fault? within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I suspect this is another symptom of a failing power supply, but would be grateful for any opinions from the ...

Godzilla is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke (THBZ)
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Humax FreesatHD
      Thanks

Is this another power supply fault?

I suspect this is another symptom of a failing power supply, but would be grateful for any opinions from the experts on this forum.

I have a Thomson SKY+HD box (10 months old from new installation), updated to the new EPG last month, connected (by HDMI only) to a Panasonic Viera TH-42PX60B plasma and by SCART to a DVD recorder.

Up to now and since the new EPG everything has been working fine. However in the last few days we have noticed three separate occurrences of the following:
      - recording two channels (non-HD)
      - watching a previously recorded programme from the SKY planner
      - suddenly the screen goes black except for the top left corner showing "HDMI 1"
      - I switched the TV to Freeview, then back to HDMI 1 and it shows the recorded SKY program but in a "paused" state. Pressed Play and the playback continued OK. Both programs being recorded seem to be OK and the recordings continued.

On reflection I seem to think this happened each time round about the point one of the recordings might have been starting or ending (eg 20:30).

It has never happened whilst watching a live program, so I doubt if it is the TV failing to capture the HDMI channel - more likely that the recorded program stops sending to the HDMI.

I was planning to get the Satcure fix for the power supply anyway as soon as the warranty expires, but if this is a different issue maybe I should get the box replaced while it is still under free warranty.

Any suggestions or advice would be gratefully received. I might not be able to respond quickly as I am about to go to work now.

Many thanks

Keith

2. Advertisement
      Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Re: Is this another power supply fault?

It's not necessarily a PSU fault at this stage of its life, unless you've got the box somewhere it's regularly overheating. Which version of Thomson is it? Was it brand new on install?

Try a Sky+ Rebuild. Press Services, 0, 0, 1, Select ,7 & Select again. You won't lose any existing recordings.

If it keeps happening, phone Sky for a warranty callout. You'll probably be given a refurb.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If you have the tools you could take the lid off and have a look. Turn the power off for safetys sake. Theres a seperate PSU board, look for electrolytic capacitors (like small cans). The tops should be completely flat. Any bulging or rounding of the lids points to the capacitors failing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenedin View Post
      It's not necessarily a PSU fault at this stage of its life, unless you've got the box somewhere it's regularly overheating. Which version of Thomson is it? Was it brand new on install?

Try a Sky+ Rebuild. Press Services, 0, 0, 1, Select ,7 & Select again. You won't lose any existing recordings.

If it keeps happening, phone Sky for a warranty callout. You'll probably be given a refurb.
      Thanks for the quick reply.

My box is as follows:
      Thomson Model 902020
      Version 4E3011
      Op Sys Version 1.32B12
      EPG sky+8.3.2

It is standing on 4 rubber door stops on a glass shelf on its own in an open cabinet, so I don't think it is overheating. It was brand new on install 10 months ago.

I did a planner rebuild a few days ago and the problem showed up again last night.

I'll keep monitoring, but from what you and Proppinupthebar say it is probably not the psu. If it happens again I'll take a quick look inside (assuming that won't invalidate warranty) and probably call SKY for a warranty replacement.

Thanks guys

Keith

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

It may be the power supply, depending on which capacitors fail then it has different effects. Not heard anyone complaining of the smae issue as you so far though.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

sounds like a power supply issue, we had 3 HD boxes all with different issues but all due to the power supply and the 3rd one I got a Satcure capacitor kit and got a reccomended bloke to do it as it was out of warrenty.

I'd say if your within your warrenty still then get Sky to replace it (hopefully for a non-thompson) rather than shell out for a fix in 2 months time.

The guy that did my repair also said that the capacitors can also play up even if there is no leakage or buldging as they are fairly late stages of them going and if the big resistor blows then the power supply is pretty much dead.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
      It is standing on 4 rubber door stops on a glass shelf on its own in an open cabinet, so I don't think it is overheating. It was brand new on install 10 months ago.

I did a planner rebuild a few days ago and the problem showed up again last night.......
      You've got the box in a good position, so it's not overheating. As you have recordings in the Planner, you'll probably not be minded to do a Full System Reset as you'd lose them. As has been mentioned, the capacitors on the PSU don't actually have to be bulging or leaking to indicate failure, although these are the usual external signs.

Would a software download help? I've no idea, but as everything else appears to be OK, I'd probably leave it.

AIUI, opening up the box within the warranty period invalidates the warranty, and anyway, you may not see much to enlighten you as to the state of the capacitors. It may even be a hard drive problem?

In your position, I would get Sky out, and if the replacement turns out to be another Thomson, go for the replacement PSU on that one, in due course.

Do more testing, and if the problem doesn't go away, get on the phone.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Thanks

That sounds like good advice. Thanks to everyone who replied - I feel much better informed now and will call SKY out if it happens again.

I love this forum - everybody seems to want to help, rather than show off their superior knowledge like some other forums I have visited.

Cheers

Keith

soulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01270
      Broadband ISP: Sky HD
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi All,
      I am new to this site and uncannily could have written the start to this thread myself. My problem is the same although I have not tried the switching of display inputs - but will do next time.

The only difference I have is that it can happen while only 1 recording is taking place and I am watching a recorded programme.
      I am having an uprated psu fitted next week (by the guy who designed / supplied the satcure items) so will advise if this cures / helps the situation.

Exactly the same box, 15 months old running the new EPG for 2 months with absolutely no issues then this week it started freezing. Could the new EPG demand more power and therefore place more strain and demand on the psu?

Regards Si.

Thanks

UPDATE FROM OP

The problem happened again yesterday, but this time when the screen went blank I looked at the HF output from the SKY box on another monitor and it was displaying an error message:

For Your Information 36

This display does not support HDCP
      Call 08442 415161 for further information.

Please disconnect your HDMI Connection
      Press Backup to cancel

I pressed Backup and the screen went back to the programme OK and all has been fine since. I can't think what can have happened to suddenly make the box unhappy with my HDCP status - I wasn't even watching a HD channel at the time. So, the mystery deepens.

Any ideas?

Keith

Cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast