Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

How setup my Sky HD

This is a discussion on How setup my Sky HD within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi Folks I wonder if some good person could help me. We had Sky HD installed this week and while ...

sandandlime is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01305
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

How setup my Sky HD

Hi Folks

I wonder if some good person could help me. We had Sky HD installed this week and while that works fine. The rest of the equiment needs to be setup unfortuatley the engineer said he is only required to setup the sky HD and left the rest to my wife and I to try and sort out.
      We have a TV LG 42inch Plasma HD ready 1080i/1080p Model No. LG-42PT85 and of course the installed Sky HD Box but we also have a LG DVD receiver full HD 1080pModel No. HT5037H-DH and Sony DVD Recorder/Player Model No. RDR-GX120 and finally a Funai VHS and DVD Player model No. DBVR-6510

We have old VHS Tapes of our children when they were younger and would like to copy these on the DVD Recorder. I am told the surround sound system 5.1 is HD Compatable as is the TV but the DVD Recorder and VHS Player are not HD Compatable so I am hoping maybe there is some way of setting them up so they all work or do we need to replace them. They are only about a year old and on our old sky box worked fine, but then the engineer on that occasion was very helpful and set everything up for us.

I have no idea on where to start so I do need quite basic instructions if some kind person could help. I have pulled cable out from one box to another in the hope it works infact I did at one point get sound on the surround sound system which was good but have since lost it again. I can get the dvd recorder to work on AV1 and the same with the VHS/DVD Player only I have to use a scart from the sKy box independantly of each other. We are now confussed and in a pickle on what to do so if someone could tell us where to start and where to finish it would be very helpful.

Thank you

Nigel & Sarah

2. Advertisement
      joss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Adwick-le-Street
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HDmultiroom
      Thanks

Re: How setup my Sky HD

Gosh that's an awful lot of gear your wanting to hook up.

How many are HDMI compatable. How many HDMI imputs does your TV have?
      Does your Tv and DVD player have Optical in/out? which you would need for 5.1 sound when broadcast.

Work on one item at a time. Tv and HD via HMDi
      Next LG DVD receiver HMDI to TV HMDi
      If the above have optical out in then use those as well. So HD box optical out to TV optical in to get the 5.1 sound assuming you have the required speakers.
      Work on one item at a time. when working ok then think about adding the next item.

Donaldson2121 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMNEW
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

A few questions before we dig into getting this setup (assuming you havn't sorted it already)

can you confirm the model number of the "LG DVD receiver full HD 1080pModel No. HT5037H-DH" is correct? I'm assuimg this is a Home cinema system (5.1 surround sound with dvd player) I can see a HT503TH on their site but not a "HT5037H-DH"

You say you want to transfer your own made video tapes to DVD, does the Funai have this function built in as i seems to be able to record DVD's already (not sure why you have another DVD recorder?). Some combi players/recorder can transfer VHS to DVD but i cant find a manual for your Funai DBVR-6510 so you'd have to look yourself.

Once we find a way to transfer these onto DVD will you be removing the VHS/DVD combo from your setup? Or even the seperate Sony DVD recorder? Or both? as you can playback DVDs on the LG and will be recording with Sky HD right?

Thanks

Hi joss
      Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, I am new so had alot of trouble accessing these web pages to find my posts.

I have 2 HDMI on my Tv and 1 on my Sky+ HD box and 1 on my DVD Surround sound. I only have 2 scart sockets 1x line1 = TV & 1x Line 2 = Decoder on my Sony DVD player/Recorder and on myVHS Player/DVD Player (COmbi Item) again 2 scarts 1x VHS/DVD AV1 & 1x VCR AV2 decoder

I have Optical on the TV and sky HD Box its also the is an optical on my 5.1 surround which has a built in Dvd player as well

I have been told that maybe the VHS Player will not work for the purpose I want to use it for it a shame it only a year old. All I wanted to do was to be able to transfere the family holidays on to dvd. trouble i feel is that the 5.1 has a dvd the vhs has a dvd and the recorder is a dvd recorder. Trouble is the others are built in to the units so I am stuck with them.

I ll give your ideas a go and get back to you its very good of you and is apprecaited.

Nigel & sarah

Thanks

Hi Donaldson2121

thank you for getting back to me. I can confirm the model number as it appears on the back of the LG surround sound/DVD player combi is HT503TH-DH I have noticed the 7 is a T my fault sorry. I checked the Funai has no bulit in recorder its simply a dvd player and VHS tape player although you can recorder on the VHS tapes. It has 2 scarts 1x VHS/VCR AV1 & 1x VCR AV2 Decoder

Yes i will be removing the VHS/DVD as this is the only thing I wanted to do with it as for the Sony Recorder I would like to keep that and use it accasional to record on AV1 programmes I want to keep on rewriteable discs ect.
      On the manual its says models HT303TH (HT503TH-DH,SH53TH-S/C/W) so I am guessing there all covered under the same manual

Thank for your its most welcome and apprecaited.

Nigel & Sarah

Donaldson2121 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMNEW
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

Ok if you wanted to concentrate on getting your VHS to DVD i think you should be able to link what you call "1x VHS/VCR AV1" on your VHS to the "1x Line 2 = Decoder" on your DVD recorder then connect "1x line1 = TV" on the DVD recorder to the TV's AV1 scart socket.

Then switch the TV over to AV1 to get your DVD recorder menu up etc and see if if you can set it to record from the VHS player over the connected scart.

I imagine ud have to start the VHS playing and then hit the record button on the dvd recorder, but hopefully you know a little more about how the DVD recorder works.

Now for the rest of your equipment.

Connect the Sky HD box to HDMI 1 and its optical port to the optical port on your surround sound. On your sky remote press the services button and go into the sound options, set the optical output to DOLBY D, Save and exit the menu.

Now on your surround sound set the input to D-IN or what ever the input for the optical connection is called.

Also under the picture settings menu set the picture resolution to 1080i if it isnt already, save and exit.

Connect your Surround sound to HDMI 2
      There probably some settings you can change on your samsung to get a better picture form standard DVD if it does upscaling (i'd have to check the manual) but we can do that later.

Hopefully everything is connected up and you get sound and picture.

Just to add after you've done all your VHS transfers to DVD you should be able to connect your SKY HD box via an extra scart to the DVD decoder input so that you can copy recorded programs to the DVD recorder etc. but we'll get to that after you've got the rest sorted

Let me know how u get on.
      Last edited by Donaldson2121; 26-06-09 at 06:11 PM.

Thanks

Hi Donaldson2121

Brillaint mate all sorted excellent work. We can record on VHS and play DVD and record on the DVD recorder no problem. HD Sky works fine on HDMI and on AV! maybe a slight loss in picture quality but records on both the Dvd rewriter and VHS. The sound is excellent throughtout via the optical ect all round fantastic really pleased well done. All I have to do now is one find all the family tapes and spend hours if not days copying them over. Once again many many thanks.

Nigel & Sarah
      Last edited by sandandlime; 26-06-09 at 10:29 PM. Reason: misprint

Thanks

Hi Joss

Thank you for your help everything is up and running great. I can record and tape on eveything its brillaint. Thank you so much for your kind help.

Nigel & Sarah

Thanks

Hi

I just wondered if you might have any ideas regarding the sound. I have sound to the TV and when I play either the VHS or dvd recorder via the TV
      However when I use smartlink on my TV to switch to the 5.1 sound sound it works fine on shy but if i use the DVD Recorder or VHS ect it only omits sound from the shy channel. It plays the film tape ok but what ever is on shy on the AV1 at the time is the sound I hear. Perhaps they may not be compatable but as I get the sound ok if I use the TV sound then maybe there is something I have missed.

Hope you do not mind but it would be nice if we could sort it out. Its really still ok because I can always use the DVD recorder thats built in to the 5.1

cheers

Nigel & Sarah