Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Samsung Sky + HD and Scart

This is a discussion on Samsung Sky + HD and Scart within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Dave, HD pictures via HDMI should not be stretched, in fact that is one of the things people complain about ...

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Samsung Sky + HD and Scart

Dave, HD pictures via HDMI should not be stretched, in fact that is one of the things people complain about it here sometimes. HD pictures should be shown in their native resoloution so a 4:3 picture should have black bard down the side, all mine do.

Are you sure you have got the setup right in the menus?

2. Advertisement
      Dave48 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Greenwich
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Dave, HD pictures via HDMI should not be stretched, in fact that is one of the things people complain about it here sometimes. HD pictures should be shown in their native resoloution so a 4:3 picture should have black bard down the side, all mine do.

Are you sure you have got the setup right in the menus?
      My setup is okay and get the correct aspect ratio on whatever I'm watching.

I only use scart for viewing 4.3 broadcasts on SD channels where if you viewed them via HDMI they would be, as I said, stretched; for example "The Wire" on BBC 2.

4.3 broadcasts on HD channels are fine and as you say are not stretched and have boarders down each side of the screen.

Thanks for your reply though
      Sony KDL40V4000 - Sony BDP-S350 BluRay - Onkyo TX-SR507 - Energy Take Classic 5.1 Speakers - Samsung SKY+HD - Digital Stream DHR8205 - Xbox 360 - PS3 Slim 320GB - Harmony One - iMac 27" 3.1 Ghz Intel Core i5.

sr1312 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Glasgow - Shettleston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Smithy is right.

If your tv aspect is set (on the tv menu not sky menu) to auto then the 4:3 programs should be shown 4:3.

sky1HD is often like this. Even when skybox is set to 16:9.

I don't like this format and set my tv to force everything 16:9

This is from experience as I have had calls to many customers who didn't like the 4:3 display and thought the box was faulty.

Dave48 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Greenwich
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sr1312 View Post
      Smithy is right.

If your tv aspect is set (on the tv menu not sky menu) to auto then the 4:3 programs should be shown 4:3.

sky1HD is often like this. Even when skybox is set to 16:9.

I don't like this format and set my tv to force everything 16:9

This is from experience as I have had calls to many customers who didn't like the 4:3 display and thought the box was faulty.
      I'm sorry but I've tried all settings on both TV and box and it doesn't matter if the screen is set to "Wide" or "Auto" on the TV I still get a stretched 4.3 picture over HDMI.

Please note I'm only talking about 4.3 programs on SD channels viewed via the HDMI input.

If I view via scart then the TV does change the aspect ratio accordingly, again this is on SD channels......and as I said on HD channels the 4.3 aspect ratio is controlled by the the transmission of black boarders either side of the picture.

Perhaps other TV's have differing setting options to mine?

My equipment is listed so if you know of a way to prevent stretching of SD 4.3 pictures over HDMI I'd be happy to hear it.
      Sony KDL40V4000 - Sony BDP-S350 BluRay - Onkyo TX-SR507 - Energy Take Classic 5.1 Speakers - Samsung SKY+HD - Digital Stream DHR8205 - Xbox 360 - PS3 Slim 320GB - Harmony One - iMac 27" 3.1 Ghz Intel Core i5.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12