Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

HD broken/pixelated image

This is a discussion on HD broken/pixelated image within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; We got the new EPG just over a week ago, but two or three days prior we began to experience ...

skywreck is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

HD broken/pixelated image

We got the new EPG just over a week ago, but two or three days prior we began
      to experience broken/pixelated image at regular intervals on all HD transmissions including those on Sky anytime. This doesn't affect non HD channels which work just fine and perfect. This problem continues to-date.
      Phoned Sky and they've asked me to go through the usual turn off the box,
      remove coaxials, remove HDMI cable, unplug, etc. But I am certain this is
      not going to fix the problem. Since the time we contracted to HD (1-1/2 years ago) we have had 7 different Sky HD boxes. This last one has been working fine
      until this problem began. We have installers at home several times and the
      installation is perfect with very strong signal. Just wondering if anyone has been experiencing this problem. We are subscribed to the full package but have had some many hassles that if I cannot get this to work and sky doesn't show any
      interest in solving this problem, I'll just cancel and go to Freeview.

2. Advertisement
      Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: HD broken/pixelated image

HD uses the highest bandwidth, so any problems with dish alignment or faults with the box will show up there first.

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Also, it's not a good idea to have the digibox overheating somewhere it can't draw in sufficient cool air to enable it to perform properly - examples being , in a cupboard, glass cabinet, stacked under/over other AV equipment, next to a radiator etc. Thomson digiboxes ( in my own experience ) will misbehave at the slightest sign of overheating. Mine did, until I put it on its own shelf on my setup. I've even got it raised an inch off the shelf on black doorstops so that the fan underneath can work properly. As you have got through 7 different boxes, I would suggest that you should be looking for causes other than the digiboxes.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Old_nick View Post
      HD uses the highest bandwidth, so any problems with dish alignment or faults with the box will show up there first.
      I'm not sure I completely agree with you here Nick. The HD transponders are indeed roughly 43Mb/s compared to roughly 34Mb/s for SD, but the signal strengths from each transponder also vary very widely. I don't think you can say that an alignment issue would show up on HD first.
      The signal check screen only shows you the default transponder, if you force the box to do a recording then it shows the signal quality of that transponder being recorded. Try recording a channel and see what the quality is like.

skywreck is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

We had the misfortune of getting one of those dodgy boxes which kept giving us blank screens, then there followed a series of boxes which more or less suffered from the same type of problems. One of the engineers told us unofficially that there were a number of problem boxes which although allegedly repaired were recirculated to customers, with these sorts of problems instead of, replacing them with the new boxes which didn't suffer these faults.
      We have had visits from various engineers/installers and they have checked the whole install and all is fine. This last box is probably the one that lasted the longest without problems until this current issue. HD has worked fine until
      recently. When you watch live HD, watch something HD on Anytime, or record and then watch, these brief bursts of interruption/pixelation in parts of the image continue to be there. This indicates to me that perhaps the issue could be related to transmission being perhapsaffected by an extraneous
      source, such as a radio mast, etc. however we don't seem to have anything
      like that where we live. So perhaps something in the old box giving up the ghost?