Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Thomson HD box with component outputs

This is a discussion on Thomson HD box with component outputs within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I found a Thomson HD box with component outputs and I am going to purchase it as I want to ...

w4tt4n4b3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Thomson HD box with component outputs

I found a Thomson HD box with component outputs and I am going to purchase it as I want to have the hd signal transfered via the component outputs(green, red, blue). Is this feasible? Will I get 720 or 1080 to my tv via the component outputs?
      Is there any chance that they may be disabled by Sky or Thomson?
      It is a used box of course.
      Thank you

2. Advertisement
      Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Thomson HD box with component outputs

The component outputs on a Thomson HD box are capable of sending 720i 720p or 1080i to a suitably equipped TV set.

I think they are unlikely to be disabled entirely but it is possible that some premium content may not be allowed to be transmitted via component as it is not protected by the dreaded HDCP encryption which is only available via HDMI. It is most likely to be movies affected this way as the studios may require it for HD transmissions as they believe it prevents copying.

Don't forget that you will need to deal with audio signals separately.

Exchange:
      Thanks

So I will need a separate audio cable exiting the 2 audio outputs of the HD box.
      And something else. If you want to use the component outputs to record something how are you going to watch what you are recording? I guess when component is being used the hdmi port would not work...
      If you connect the tv using the scart you won't be able to watch the hd channel right?

Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes you will need a separate Audio cable although some component cables have 5 phono connectors on one cable for this purpose. Alternatively you can use an optical connection to an AV amp to get glorious 5.1 digital sound.

All of the outputs are active simultaneously so you could in theory connect TVs to the scart, HDMI, Component and RF at the same time. Not sure why you would want to but there you go. Obviously you will get the same picture on all four outputs.

A hard disk based recorder like a SkyHD box has two tuners which will let you watch something whilst recording something else. You can even record two progs simultaneously whilst watching another recording. If you plan to send the component outputs to a separate recorder of some kind you will have to watch what you are recording and playback/recording will be in real time only. What device are you planning to record on?

Exchange:
      Thanks

This one!
      I want to record an HD programme from sports hd channel. All I have to do is connect the box with the tv via scart and the box with the device via component?

Using scart to watch an hd programme doesnot mean that the image quality will be downscaled? But the recording into the device via the component will happen in hd quality right?

From the FAQ page of the device I found this.
      Can I output files I’ve recorded with my HD PVR or other content from my PC back to an external TV monitor through the component video outputs?

No, the HD PVR does not have the ability to play back recorded videos to an external monitor. The component video outputs act as a pass through for live video streaming from your video source through the HD PVR back to your TV monitor. The power of the HD PVR must remain in the on position in order to pass the video through to the external TV

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If watching a HD channel on a HD TV using SCART you will NOT be watching a HD picture, you will be watching it as a standard image similar to a standard Sky box connected by a SCART.

To watch HD you must use either the component or HDMI output, otherwise you are just watching a standard picture.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I know that the rgb scart connection cannot carry hd signal/quality but at least I will be able to record it in hd via component.
      Honest to be I do not watch tv programmes on tv. I use my pc for that. Generally I use my pc for many things, it has substituted tv, cd/dvd-player, radio...
      It's a fully digitized era.