Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

2nd HD box - 2 subscriptions needed?

This is a discussion on 2nd HD box - 2 subscriptions needed? within the Sky+ HD Supertelly forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; If you were to get a second HD box, do you have to pay another 10 HD monthly subscription?...

Scramble is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Grantham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Superfast Broadband
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

2nd HD box - 2 subscriptions needed?

If you were to get a second HD box, do you have to pay another 10 HD monthly subscription?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: 2nd HD box - 2 subscriptions needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Scramble View Post
      If you were to get a second HD box, do you have to pay another 10 HD monthly subscription?
      No, my understanding is that the multiroom card mirrors exactly what is on the first card, packages and service.

Could be wrong though

Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Definitely wrong I'm afraid - It might seem unfair but Sky charge 10 per HD box even if you have multiroom. They argue that 10 per box is necessary because the HD boxes have been heavily subsidised - It was said that the early boxes cost sky 600 each but they knew no-one would buy one at that cost so they sold them at 299 and made the 301 back on the 10 per month charge.

Cost for the latest HD boxes is said to be much less than 600 but still more than they charge for one so the 10 per month per box is likely to stay for a while although eventually it is likely to go the way of the 10 per month Sky+ charge.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ratcliffes View Post
      Definitely wrong I'm afraid - It might seem unfair but Sky charge 10 per HD box even if you have multiroom. They argue that 10 per box is necessary because the HD boxes have been heavily subsidised - It was said that the early boxes cost sky 600 each but they knew no-one would buy one at that cost so they sold them at 299 and made the 301 back on the 10 per month charge.

Cost for the latest HD boxes is said to be much less than 600 but still more than they charge for one so the 10 per month per box is likely to stay for a while although eventually it is likely to go the way of the 10 per month Sky+ charge.
      Well that doesn't seem fair

Sorry if common sense did not win over Sky He's got the box, why annoy a customer for something that will not cost any extra to deliver?

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Well that doesn't seem fair
      It's called "business". Businesses exist to make maximum profit for their owners/shareholders. They strike a balance between number of customers and the amount each one pays.

20 million customers paying 1 a month = 20m.
      15 million customers paying 5 a month = 25m.
      10 million customers paying 10 a month = 100m.

So less customers paying more money can produce more profit.
      Of course there's a trade off. It's likely that only 5 million customers would be willing to pay as much as 15 a month. That would make only 75m. So the highest profit is made by having (in this example) 10m customers paying 10 a month.

Fairness isn't a consideration.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Radford View Post
      It's called "business". Businesses exist to make maximum profit for their owners/shareholders. They strike a balance between number of customers and the amount each one pays.

20 million customers paying 1 a month = 20m.
      15 million customers paying 5 a month = 25m.
      10 million customers paying 10 a month = 100m.

So less customers paying more money can produce more profit.
      Of course there's a trade off. It's likely that only 5 million customers would be willing to pay as much as 15 a month. That would make only 75m. So the highest profit is made by having (in this example) 10m customers paying 10 a month.

Fairness isn't a consideration.
      Well I understand that My point is that by piddling of a valued customer you may just push him away from your product or another product you supply.

Keeping your customer happy (or should that be paying) is also good business practise, especially when you have Freeview HD around the corner. It may or may not be as good but once you have put a reason in someones mind to change products it is not so easy to change it back (well mine isn't anyway)

Especially as it would cost them not a penny more to give him the extra HD

Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@Smithy99
      You might be right in that Freeview HD could change the way sky choose to charge for HD eventually but the only thing Sky did wrong in my book was that they didn't make it sufficiently obvious that 2x HD subs would be necessary. In reality their pricing structure, like that of the mobile phone companies, is deliberately confusing so that they end up with people paying more than they should. Problem is that Sky have an effective monopoly in the UK pay TV market and all the while this is true they know that they can be outrageous in their pricing and get away with it as you and I are unlikely to walk away from them completely when they try to screw another 10 out of us. Ethical - perhaps not but their shareholders would demand nothing less.

The BBC/ITV freesat thing might seem at first to be a waste of license fee payers money but in reality if it keeps Sky honest (or at least a bit honest) it will have done us all a huge favour and should be supported.

By the way, I pay Sky 600+ per annum which I always think makes the license fee look like fantastic Value for money given that most of the time I still watch BBC channels! At times I think I must have a screw loose....
      Last edited by Ratcliffes; 23-07-08 at 07:13 PM.