Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I made it!!

This is a discussion on I made it!! within the Sky happiness forums, part of the Sky Broadband feedback category; Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy But if changing the router brought the line up at 4Mbps and changing it back gave ...

Giskard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: I made it!!

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      But if changing the router brought the line up at 4Mbps and changing it back gave the same speed ....
      From what I remember though, the Sagem didn't come up as 4meg subsequent to trying the O2 router - that was the reason for going manual.

Btw, even though I have been set to a sync of 16meg, I was told that I can be re-configured to 20meg after about a week.

-----------------------------------

Isitme:

Thanks a lot for your reply - I was thinking I'd really put my foot in it, when all I wanted to do was just share a positive outcome. Because, as I said in my first post, people feel more inclined to report the frustrating stuff and not so inclined to mention when things go nicely.

Very nice forum, btw

Thanks again.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
      From what I remember though, the Sagem didn't come up as 4meg subsequent to trying the O2 router - that was the reason for going manual.

Btw, even though I have been set to a sync of 16meg, I was told that I can be re-configured to 20meg after about a week.
      That's what I meant, the o2 router jumped it to 4Mbps but did you then try the Sky one again? You should've done (or the Agent should've asked you to) as it'd likely also have showed 4Mbps and, as such, no manual update needed

Still, done now
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      That's what I meant, the o2 router jumped it to 4Mbps but did you then try the Sky one again? You should've done (or the Agent should've asked you to) as it'd likely also have showed 4Mbps and, as such, no manual update needed

Still, done now
      Sorry, I may not have explained it well in my last post, but yes, the Sagem was plugged in again straight after the O2 router (therefore, subsequently), but the advisor said the Sagem still had the problem so that is when he went manual.

Thanks. And sorry for my clumsy wording.

Edit:

Yes, just to be clear, it was only after the advisor connected to the Sagem for the second time, having just previously connected to the O2 router, and still seeing a problem, that he decided to manually intervene.
      Last edited by Giskard; 08-06-11 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Definition

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Thanks a lot for your reply - I was thinking I'd really put my foot in it, when all I wanted to do was just share a positive outcome
      Well its just that we have a few Sky help and ex-Sky help unofficially making a good contribution here, but who get all hot and bothered when the script is not followed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Well its just that we have a few Sky help and ex-Sky help unofficially making a good contribution here, but who get all hot and bothered when the script is not followed.
      It's not about following a 'script' as such. In fact, if the literal 'script' was actually followed, If I remember right it states 'is the customer in the initial training period?'. If 'yes' is chosen, then the response is to await up to ten days. I.e. Officially, the line should not be touched.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for going out of the way to please customers - I do it often myself, following faults all the way to resolution and keeping the customer updated as best as possible etc. However, it isn't fair when some advisors are deciding to give some customers a different, or arguably better, experience and do their own thing when every other customer has to wait it out. I'm not trying to get at the OP in any way here, it's not his fault whatsoever - it's the advisor's.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      It's not about following a 'script' as such. In fact, if the literal 'script' was actually followed, If I remember right it states 'is the customer in the initial training period?'. If 'yes' is chosen, then the response is to await up to ten days. I.e. Officially, the line should not be touched.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for going out of the way to please customers - I do it often myself, following faults all the way to resolution and keeping the customer updated as best as possible etc. However, it isn't fair when some advisors are deciding to give some customers a different, or arguably better, experience and do their own thing when every other customer has to wait it out. I'm not trying to get at the OP in any way here, it's not his fault whatsoever - it's the advisor's.

Even if it can take up to 72 hours for DLM to start, does being told that you will start live from a base of 4 meg not have any bearing on strict adherence to the 'script' ?

Does the 'script' of the 4 meg standard not have equal importance, and be adhered to?

If I was re-set from the 621k to the advised and expected 4 meg base, then I would have been fine with that.

Can I put a couple of things to you?

1. Is there a reason to believe that 621k was not an indication of a problem, and if so, should it therefore have been left as it was?

2. Hypothetically, if you had gone live at 621k, and it never improved over the 10 days (however unlikely) what would be your response? Would the fact of the 'script' ensure that you accepted the situation and waited till the 10 days were up before you could allow yourself to query it? And if this actually were to happen, then after the 10 days, to be told - "Yup, we see a problem and we will sort that now for you" - how would you feel?

I'm not after a fight or anything - I'm just trying to reconcile on the one hand 4 meg as part of the overall 'script' and being told the 621k is due to a config/software fault and on the other hand the suggestion that the support was wrong, and that I somehow received preferential treatment. I'm sorry, but I don't get it.

I am also regretting having started this thread

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
      I am also regretting having started this thread
      Don't worry about that, just enjoy the fuss.

Seriously though, it does appear that something unusual was wrong when you were all connected up. IMHO the person dealing with your call done the right thing.

Sky doesn't need to read the posts on here to find out if a line has been configured before or during DLM. They have their own systems in place to check for this.

Since members on here know it can get Sky staff into trouble, we discourage people from asking under normal circumstances. However once DLM has completed, the gloves are off, so long as you stay polite and it is required.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reassurance Scubbie.

Hopefully this thread will not generate any more comments...so that I can forget about it and concentrate on reading through other parts of this very useful forum.

Take care.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

It was never your fault the Agent changed it btw - I was never having a pop at you - I was just saying what the Agent should have done and that it might get him/her into trouble

-------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12