Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Error Code 1

This is a discussion on Error Code 1 within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Judging by few of the earlier questions (unanswered) there seems to be a common problem with getting Sky Anytime on ...

andybr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Error Code 1

Judging by few of the earlier questions (unanswered) there seems to be a common problem with getting Sky Anytime on PC to traverse a firewall. I tried for the first time yesterday and got this problem. Tried on a second PC and got the same problem.

So I know it's not down to a PC software firewall like Windows Firewall or Zonelabs.

So that tends to point to the router (common to both PCs I tried of course). But one way of testing to see if that is the case is to place the PC in question into the router's DMZ (i.e. all ports get forwarded to that PC). And it still didn't work.

Clearly some people never get this problem. So it may be broadband provider/router specific. But has anyone got a Code 1 and managed to solve it?

Andy

2. Advertisement
      coopermanyorks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Kirby ( 01977 )
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Error Code 1

Hi

I get

error 1714

The older version of Anytime cannot be removed

Contact Tech support

I dont think anyone knows why....

modofac is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208 (SW17)
      Broadband ISP: Anytime
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Andy,

I was beginning to wonder if you were on to something re routers, but after some basic investigation I'm not so sure. My Sky Anytime had been working perfectly until about a month ago when I started getting the dreaded Error Code 1 message. Since the router hadn't changed over night (a Netgear WGT624v3 FYI), this means the change is likely to have been with Sky or my ISP (ostensibly 'Homechoice', but now part of Tiscali).

My belief is that the problem is with Sky's end of the service. I only seem to get the error message when trying to download new/popular movies, for example right now, I cannot download Inside Man, or anything else from the 'This Week's Top Ten Downloads' list for that matter... However, the system seems quite happy to download more obscure films that I don't really want to watch (I tried a few at random from the list). Thus, traffic is getting through the router to KHost/KService, leading me to believe that Sky may have capacity problems in providing many users with the same content simultaneously.

Monitoring the flow of traffic in and out of my computer suggests that despite KHost/KService being P2P software, not a tremendous amount of sharing actually goes on - I have deliberately kept the computer on for the whole weekend with 4 downloaded films in my library, yet the total amount of data uploaded is less than 10MB (most of which is probably from my own web browsing). It appears therefore the the bulk of a movie file is downloaded direct from Sky's servers and not from the other Anytime users.

As regards the ISP point, the time when I started getting the Error Code 1 message did not coincide with Tiscali taking over Homechoice (they changed the appearance of the cable box menu screens with an overnight update), and there can't be a problem with my ISP blocking Sky seeing as the system works to a certain extent.

Anyway, thought I'd share my thoughts - wondered if you'd had any luck getting yours to work?

Regards,

Rich

Greg90 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Appeared to have some limited success bookmarking the film before attempting a download, nabbed a few but now that kludge seems to have stopped working. See my other thread for trying to eliminate an event log error in the quest to fix this. I can't blame Sky yet even though all the evidence points to an infrastructure problem rather than a local issue.

BTW I've properly configured my firewall and am now sharing files. I wonder how many default hardware installations are blocking outbound traffic by default - Anytime would appear to work but wouldn't be contributing P2P bandwidth?

spookster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0151
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

remove installer,remove kdx from your directory folder and then kclean from their faqs.then insatll new application

sagarhshah is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01227763
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have the error code 1 as well.
      Called sky cs and tried to get it sorted but they told me error message 1 is a firewall issue like andybr mentioned.

Various option they took me through were uninstall and reinstall the program (wasn't told about kclean tho)
      Setting up the firewall to allow sky anytime
      change my password and try again (don't know how this would solve the problem)

Quote Originally Posted by spookster View Post
      remove installer,remove kdx from your directory folder and then kclean from their faqs.then insatll new application
      Would this interfere with other Kontiki installations I might have(4oD and bbc iplayer) ?

Edit: Never mind found what i was looking for on the sky website.
      Yes it interferes with the programs and I would have to install them again.

Will try that. Hopefully it will solve the problem! Will update this to let you know how it goes.

Update: This is quite funny actually.

My dad's username works.
      Mine doesn't.

Could it be because I used to use my dad's subscription to download stuff onto my pc before I got my own sky subscription?
      but even then this was when it was still called sky by broadband and I had uninstalled it and everything as well.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
      Maybe I'll call sky cs and see what they have to say about this.
      Or maybe I'll just keep on using my dad's username as he also has the movie package.
      Last edited by sagarhshah; 22-10-07 at 02:01 AM. Reason: update