Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Like Tree1Likes

SkyGo won't connect from Laptop to Smart tv with HDMI cable.

This is a discussion on SkyGo won't connect from Laptop to Smart tv with HDMI cable. within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I was thinking that perhaps people could post a 'it works on mine' thread, but as soon as we do ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: SkyGo won't connect from Laptop to Smart tv with HDMI cable.

I was thinking that perhaps people could post a 'it works on mine' thread, but as soon as we do that, who is to say that someone at Sky won't close the gap?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Yes we may still have had a working Sky+ app. for PCs if I hadn't brought its existence to other people's and hence Sky's attention.

Thanks

I think that someone else would have picked it up if you hadn't.
      seawright likes this.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

slimboy1927 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 1216
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Nope sorry there no try before you buy, Sky Go comes free with your tv subscription..once you set up with a laptop and try to link it with a HDMI cable you have to hope it works, if it don't you'll have to wait a whole month before you can remove it and put it on another laptop, but Sky go allows 2 laptops free, so if you have 2 laptops you can try again remember you have to wait a month again if that don't work to remove it.
      Sky go extra allows 4 laptops but you have to pay 5 extra on top of you already expensive bill, as there is no list of what laptops Sky Go works with...so it's a hit and miss situation...it works with my Packard Bell windows 7 laptop...i had to hope and pray it worked lucky for me it did, remember Sky Go don't work a Google browser...set it up with MSN browser it works fine, then link it with your HDMI cable to your tv and keep you fingers crossed it works...i wish lots of luck and hope it works for you...P.S you might find some help videos on Youtube give that a try and see how other Sky subscribers are doing with Sky Go.

Thanks

Afaik the Sky News channel on Sky Go is not encrypted so it should be possible to test Sky Go on a PC/laptop using this channel even if you have already used your device quota for the current month. Unfortunately the video quality is not HD.

I had it working only yesterday on my Linux box using Silverlight with the Pipelight wrapper (not Moonlight).

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

For what it's worth, Sky Go Desktop sends output OK from my 2012 MacBook Pro (running OS X Mavericks) to TV (both Sony at home and Samsung at hotel) via a Thunderbolt to HDMI cable. Haven't tried Sky Go streaming as I don't use it at home (as I've got Sky TV there!) nor at hotel (as I don't have unlimited internet bandwidth!)
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

slimboy1927 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 1216
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Go is Not HD so unless your using an iligal Xmbc Droid box or similar device, its impossible to get sky Go in HD, other than on an Torrent streaming channel and then it's not Sky Go its Sky channels on a computer linked to a sky box it's done with a earthernet cable and a earthernet box with HDMI in conection from a sky box to that box and earthernet out to your laptop and then a channel stream you crate with an Torrent Tv account, it tells you how to on Torrent Tv (i Haven't tried it), you dont have to do that there is even an easer way to do it, you have to use an external App and Torrent Tv and a HDMI cable i know i tried it...you only get Sky Sports all 6 channels sometimes in HD but if take a look and get it to work you'll think your watching Sky Sports from an official box, you even can watch premier sports, bt sports 1+2 and eurosport 1+2 but do remember it's iligal this way, my wife wanted Sky Atlantic and other channels so i went proper route for Sky...Oh!! and if you read your terms and conditions contract it tell's you Sky Go is not broadcast in HD or contact sky like i did, they said if watch closely to a Sky Go tv ad it tell's you Sky Go is Not in HD.

Thanks

Ok. I don't know what the actual resolution is with Sky Go but when viewing Sky1, provided there is sufficient broadband connection speed, the resolution is good (though perhaps not HD). With Sky News there is only one resolution which appears inferior to SD quality from a Sky+ HD box.

Thanks

It will depend on which device you are using, but have just compared the quality of NCIS LA between my TV, Samsung S4 phone and Laptop.

The TV was in 1080i mode, but I changed it down to compare with the laptop and phone. Definitely not 1080p on either the pone or laptop. I believe that it may have been 576p as some of the quality was up to 720p.

I know that with the tablets there has been a lot of work to improve the streaming quality to cope with the larger screens. It is possible that they are nearer 720p, maybe even a little better.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

seawright (12-09-14)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123