Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

SkyGo won't connect from Laptop to Smart tv with HDMI cable.

This is a discussion on SkyGo won't connect from Laptop to Smart tv with HDMI cable. within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Just tried my laptop with HDMI o/p connected to TV and Hawaii Five-O (Sky 1) plays through Firefox on TV ...

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: SkyGo won't connect from Laptop to Smart tv with HDMI cable.

Just tried my laptop with HDMI o/p connected to TV and Hawaii Five-O (Sky 1) plays through Firefox on TV with no problems.

Are you using latest drivers for graphics and HDMI sound?

2. Advertisement
      slimboy1927 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 1216
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

You dont have to buy sky multi room, if you have an Xbox 360 with at lease 120g, just set up an Xbox Live gold account for 25.00 for the year then download the sky go app then log into sky go with your iD and then your up and running, its better than paying 11.25 a month for multi room...i got a second hand Xbox 60 from Cash Generators it does the job, as sky stopped you from linking HDMI and wifi so you cant stream from an iPAD or iphone either to a wifi enabled tv..it's down to piracy in pubs...if the landlord had an iphone connected to the internet (or free wifi) and that pub had a wifi enabled tv they could stream sky sports or do it with a laptop with a dongle with unlimited usage and a good signal, thats why you cant mirror sky sports on a t.v you can't even get sky go with a smart tv.......well you can sort of get skysports with a smart t.v as long as you have a wifi built into you smart tv and a wifi signal and one of those unofficial streaming sites i know of several sites that stream sky sports in HD and bt sports in HD, you swear you watching sky officially but i now have subbed to sky phone with anytime talk e.t.c, super fiber broadband sky (standard) basic and skysports for 50.00 pounds a month my skysports is not HD but its still a cracking picture and all my other channels (non HD) look better than my channels (non HD) on my Samsung HD Smart T.v...P.S the Xbox 360 is the only way i know, i don't know if you can do it with PS3/4 or Wii.
      Last edited by slimboy1927; 31-08-14 at 06:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks

If thats true i'll give it a try...it dont work with MSN,GOOGLE or OPERA it dont work with Linux smart tvs e.g Samsung, sky won't let it plus there is no software for the linux for sky go.
      Last edited by slimboy1927; 31-08-14 at 06:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slimboy1927 View Post
      If thats true i'll give it a try...it dont work with MSN,GOOGLE or OPERA it dont work with Linux smart tvs e.g Samsung, sky won't let it plus there is no software for the linux for sky go.
      Perhaps I should have added OS is Vista Home Premium. As for Linux it would be great if it worked but compared to Silverlight Moonlight is way out of date.

I used to be able to watch Sky News though it was a bit flaky and sometimes crashed. I don't think DRM was implemented on that channel as it never appeared in my list of registered devices but even that has stopped working now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Perhaps I should have added OS is Vista Home Premium. As for Linux it would be great if it worked but compared to Silverlight Moonlight is way out of date.

I used to be able to watch Sky News though it was a bit flaky and sometimes crashed. I don't think DRM was implemented on that channel as it never appeared in my list of registered devices but even that has stopped working now.
      Just to let you know don't bother to get an Xbox 360 to watch sky go...from mid Sept 2014 sky will charge you to watch sky go, it'll come under multi room i think or sky go extra, i read it on sky's official forum very late last night, so after some major research done by me...you can watch sky go if you have your browser set to MSN...yes i got it to work with MSN and HDMI From a Laptop, you have to delete Silverlight and update it to Silverlight 5 if your on XP or Vista to get it to work...if your on windows 7 like i am it'll still work, i had a google browser, i set sky go up but it told me to download an update it still didn't work, just go to your plug-ins and you'll see Silverlight, if it's not enabled then enable it...go back to sky go and log in, you'll see it judder's on the playback, after contacting sky by phone they told me it wont work with google (leave it enabled).

I then clicked on to MSN browser logged onto sky go and hey presto it worked...a great picture with no judder on sky sports i connected my 10 meter HDMI cable as i have my laptop connected to my dj set up in the bedroom as i live in a bungalow with my wife who's disabled.
      She can watch sky off the sky box in bed where its set up, ran the cable into the front room linked it to my 40 inch 3D tv now i have a brilliant picture from sky go in full screen on my tv, i linked a 3 meter usb cable to my laptop i tagged that to my skirting board and to the door frame used a wireless mouse connected to the usb lead and used the wireless mouse to change the channels on sky go via the laptop from the front room...i didn't search for Silverlight on MSN as it work straight away.

So i waste money on an Xbox 360 and Xbox live gold...it does work via HDMI on a laptop and you won't have to pay anything extra or have sky multi room...so if your going over you friends (mates house) for a boys night in and they have broadband, but no sky and tv with HDMI your on a winner range to meet up early and you can watch 5.30pm k.o on SNF sky sports 1
      Last edited by slimboy1927; 02-09-14 at 06:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks

So the idea of you cant watch it on the big sceen via sky go in a pub is a load of crap..ignore it as thats wrong, you can as long as they have wifi unlimited dongle (excellent signal) and a tv linked via HDMI laptop and use someone's sky go, its illegal if they don't have a sky (box) contract for that pub, it has a square type box watermark in the right hand bottom corner its supposed to be a laptop to let everyone know is sky go, i've never seen it done, the original info on this i found on the internet doing a research on how to watch sky go on a tv.
      Last edited by slimboy1927; 02-09-14 at 06:55 AM. Reason: spelling

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Basically it looks like M$ have embedded further controls within Silverlight in order to support DRM. Sky, who use Silverlight through Sky Go, have taken advantage of this.

Sadly it seems that Sky Go no longer will work with some laptops when they are connected to a TV.

As for using Sky Go to watch something in a Pub on their TV, that has always been unacceptable to Sky. This is why they insist on taking so many people to court.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

I was wondering if it depends on whether the graphics chipset uses M$ or 3rd party drivers.
      I use Nvidia's own driver and haven't had any problems.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

That's why I carefully stated "some laptops".

A lot of University students will be upset.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      That's why I carefully stated "some laptops".

A lot of University students will be upset.
      I was wondering if there is any way to check if a laptop would display Sky Go on a HD TV before purchasing it.
      You are quickly going to run out of registered devices even if the shop is willing to let you try before you buy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast