Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Playback Performance

This is a discussion on Playback Performance within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Is there anyway to boost playback streaming performance? When streaming a program via catchup or streaming movie I will get ...

jamos316 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Net At Once
      Router: D-Link 655
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Playback Performance

Is there anyway to boost playback streaming performance?
      When streaming a program via catchup or streaming movie I will get a Bit Rate of 1.4 and the bar has only bars it out of 4. I found this is just not fast enough & I will experience constant buffering issues.
      Also streaming of live channels I also experience buffering issues. Not as regular though.

My browser is IE 11, My OS is Windows 8.1
      My Intern connection is 100Mbps Upload & Download

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Playback Performance

With 100Mb/s connection you shouldn't have any problems although a lot depends on what else the connection is being used for.
      If you have a torrent client running it's a good idea to pause them all while trying to watch live streams. You don't say what your upstream speed is but if it is maxed out it will limit download performance.
      On Sky go it varies from channel to channel but if "auto" resolution is available select it so that when regular buffering occurs a lower resolution stream will be automatically selected.
      If possible use an ethernet cable between your PC and router rather than relying on wi-fi.
      You could try a different browser and see if that makes a difference. Firefox is very popular.

Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky Go uses Adaptive bitrate technology and therefore it should go to your highest rate but there seems to be a problem with it as it starts are the very lowest and then only adapts a little bit more and stops at that rate. It's a known bug that sky are looking at.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

As you appear to be in Sweden are you using a VPN to stream on? This could significantly slow down the connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.