Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky not working - alternative for getting Sky Go to TV?

This is a discussion on Sky not working - alternative for getting Sky Go to TV? within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; With impeccable timing our Sky box has stopped working and is not receiving a signal. Probably a problem with the ...

Claremac is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01737
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Sky not working - alternative for getting Sky Go to TV?

With impeccable timing our Sky box has stopped working and is not receiving a signal. Probably a problem with the aerial from last night's storm but can't get anyone out to fix it now until after Christmas. Have phoned Sky in case it's a box problem but they can't get anyone to us until Jan 2nd. Now looking at ways of watching and/or recording TV over Christmas. I have signed up for the 2 months free trial of Sky Go Extra.

We have connected our Windows computer to the TV and have managed to get it to show Sky programmes live but it's all a bit clunky. We can get iPlayer and Demand5 through the Sony TV. I am trying to find any other way of getting content to the TV. We have an iPad and an android phone (Samsung Galaxy Note). Is there any way, for example, to have something playing on Sky Go on my iPad or phone and beam it directly to the TV? Also is there any way of downloading what's playing on the computer to save for later? For instance, there is a film I want to record on late tonight which isn't available On Demand so the only chance to catch it is when it's on but it's very late so I would like to record it.

Hope that all makes sense. Any help very gratefully received!

2. Advertisement
      coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Lede on ECI Modem/pfSense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Re: Sky not working - alternative for getting Sky Go to TV?

at this late stage, until you can go get a roku or chromecast in the sales on boxing day, a laptop is your best bet(and currently is the best available of everything allowing you to get everything). Set the laptop screen off and once your programs going & there should be little problem. Plus that way you'll have full access to all catchup stuff. Sky go is poor quality, you might want to consider using VLC to play some nice hd torrents. This market will kick off big time this year IPTV is the future.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to coipu For This Useful Post:

Claremac (27-12-13)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

In addition Sky have specifically disabled the feature to allow you to connect your iPad (or Android tablet if you had one) to the TV and play Sky Go.

Could I also suggest that you visit the site "TV Catchup". This will allow you to watch various Freeview channels if you don't already have them. Sadly a court action earlier this year prevents them from showing all of them.

TVCatchup - Never Miss A Show Again

There is also an app for Windows 8 computers for TV Catchup.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Claremac (27-12-13)

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not so bothered about what's on at Christmas to be buying any further hardware so will plug on with what we've got. We can watch Sky Go or TV Catchup on the laptop but as there are 4 of us it's all a bit cramped and we'd rather use the 40" TV and sound system! Have cobbled together an old laptop and an HDMI cable and have managed to watch a few things but have run out of space on it when trying to download a film which is only available to download, not to stream.

Decided to install Sky Go on the new laptop and all seems to install OK but when I try to open it to see the progress of the download it asks me to login (again!!!!) and then the Sky Go screen goes completely blank and stays like that. I can't access the program at all. I have uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times but no joy. Any ideas please?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Which OS is on the new Laptop?

Also can you check that you haven't run out of allowed devices for your account? This may be two or four, depending on your package. Most likely it will be two as you have a single STB, unless you are paying the extra 5 per month for Sky Go Extra.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not so bothered about what's on at Christmas to be buying any further hardware so will plug on with what we've got. We can watch Sky Go or TV Catchup on the laptop but as there are 4 of us it's all a bit cramped and we'd rather use the 40" TV and sound system! Have cobbled together an old laptop and an HDMI cable and have managed to watch a few things but have run out of space on it when trying to download a film which is only available to download, not to stream.

Decided to install Sky Go on the new laptop and all seems to install OK but when I try to open it to see the progress of the download it asks me to login (again!!!!) and then the Sky Go screen goes completely blank and stays like that. I can't access the program at all. I have uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times but no joy. Any ideas please?

Thanks

Ooops, sorry, thought that hadn't posted! The new laptop is Windows 8 and I have checked that I haven't exceeded the number of devices allowed. As I've signed up for the free Sky Go Extra trial I can have 4. The old laptop and the iPad were 1 and 2. The new laptop is 3 and I've just installed on my Android phone with a view to connecting this to the TV via HDMI. Sky Go installed fine but when I went to download the film it said i had already downloaded the film twice. This was obviously once when it ran out of space on the old laptop and it may well have downloaded to the new laptop but I can't see it as it won't show me the Sky Go desktop screen. It's very frustrating.

stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

Have you got an Xbox 360 laying around? You can watch some Sky through that if you have:

Get Sky on your Xbox 360 today - Xbox.com

12. The Following User Says Thank You to stereohaven For This Useful Post:

Claremac (30-12-13)

Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Claremac View Post
      Ooops, sorry, thought that hadn't posted! The new laptop is Windows 8 and I have checked that I haven't exceeded the number of devices allowed. As I've signed up for the free Sky Go Extra trial I can have 4. The old laptop and the iPad were 1 and 2. The new laptop is 3 and I've just installed on my Android phone with a view to connecting this to the TV via HDMI. Sky Go installed fine but when I went to download the film it said i had already downloaded the film twice. This was obviously once when it ran out of space on the old laptop and it may well have downloaded to the new laptop but I can't see it as it won't show me the Sky Go desktop screen. It's very frustrating.
      You can't connect your android phone to your TV on Sky Go as the app block's HDMI out on all mobile devices. Also you have to run your Windows 8 laptop in windows 7 mode for sky go to work as Sky Go don't support Windows 8 or 8.1 OS.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul1360 For This Useful Post:

Claremac (30-12-13)

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. We do have an Xbox 360 in another room but it looks like you need to have the Xbox live Gold membership which we don't have. Thanks for the info re Windows 8 ot working with Sky Go as it's saved me a lot of banging my head on a brick wall. I can't believe that it's still not available on Windows 8 so long after its release!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast