Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Sky Go Beta for Tablets

This is a discussion on Sky Go Beta for Tablets within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Don't you just love it? The developers are also suppoed to be removing the white list at some stage soon....

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sky Go Beta for Tablets

Don't you just love it?

The developers are also suppoed to be removing the white list at some stage soon.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Sky Help Forum - Sky Go | Android Tablet - Customer Trial Invite - Help & Support from the Official Sky Forum
      We are now ready to invite customers to join our Beta Trial for Sky Go on Android tablets and we would really value your feedback to ensure that the app is ready for a full launch in early November.

We’re using Google’s beta testing capability, which means participants need to have a Gmail account and for Google+ to be activated on that account. If you are interested in taking part:

• Please send us an email from your Gmail account to skygodroid@gmail.com and we’ll add you to the invite list. Please also include the device and OS version of your tablet on your email.
      • Make sure you have Google+ activated on your account. To do this, sign in to your Gmail account via a browser, click on the '+you/+username' option and follow the instructions to activate Google+.
      • Once you’ve done that, or if you have already activated Google+, you'll receive an email in the next day or so with instructions on how to download the beta, as well more details about how the trial will run.

This trial is part of Phase 1 of our plan for Android Tablets. This phase is focused on ensuring that the streaming experience works for larger screen devices. Playback will be in landscape but the UI will be fixed in portrait for this phase.

The app will be available to almost all 7” tablets or larger, running Android v4.0 and above.

In our internal trials we have tested across some of the most popular 10" devices from Samsung (Note 10.1 and Tab2 10), Asus (Transformer Prime TF201), Google (Nexus 10), and Sony (Xperia Z Tablet), as well as existing 7" devices (Samsung Tab2/Tab 3 and the Google Nexus 7). We’re not able to test all Android tablets but we are keen to understand how many other devices can support Sky Go, so that we can open Sky Go out to as many customers as possible in future.

In testing we have found unresolvable issues with the Asus Transformer Prime (TF101 model) while streaming live content, therefore Sky Go is not able to support this device.

Please note the app will not be available on Amazon Kindle devices due to technical and commercial reasons.

Finally, as a ‘thank you’ for giving us your feedback we'd like to offer Sky Go Extra free for two months to all to offer customers who take part in the trial. If you would like to take advantage of this, please include in your email the name on your Sky account and your account number (this can be found on the back of your Sky viewing card). We will then apply the offer to your account.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

At last, the sky help forum seems very slow tonight.

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      At last, the sky help forum seems very slow tonight.
      Yeah, thanks Scubbie for posting this. I can't get any of the pages to load properly on the sky website.

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skoobydu View Post
      It would be nice to be able to watch Sky Go finally on my Xoom, but I cant imagine Sky will support that tablet.

So I'll just carry on using XBMC.

Here is hoping though.
      Well I think you may be in luck. From the statement:

The app will be available to almost all 7” tablets or larger, running Android v4.0 and above

The only ones they have specifically ruled out are Kindle Fires for commercial reasons and Asus Transformer TF101 with a technical issue of some kind.

Get your email off mate .
      skoobydu likes this.

Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I think you will find that the technical issue with the Asus Transformer TF101 is that it's a non-neon device the same as the Original Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and means this that these devices are not as powerful enough for some multimedia applications, where as neon devices can these apps without much trouble.
      It's reported that KK 4.4 has coding in the OS to give these non-neon devices the ability to run like neon devices. Now this is great news providing the likes of Samsung, Asus et al will update their non-neon devices to KK 4.4.
      As another poster has said on here about xbmc, they have 2 apps 1 for neon devices and 1 for non-neon devices and so nay on every android device is supported.

franktouch is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Will I be able to use sky go properly on something like this? what about HD content
      9″ Android 4.2 Tablet PC 16GB A13 All Winner | Touch Tablet - 7" A13 Android 4.0 Allwinner

Thanks

Beyond what is on the announcement for the beta trial above, nothing else is known at this stage.

A major excuse until now has been picture quality, so I would very much hope that this has been addressed.

However if I refer you to the announcement made recently by Alun Webber at Sky: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-n...go-update.html

Phase 1, which this beta is a specific part of reads as follows:

Phase 1 - Interim Solution for Tablets

• Creating a tablet specific application that runs on Android 4.0 and above
      • Integrating this application with a different streaming technology that supports higher resolution streams, suitable for large-screen devices
      • Modifying the application code such that it will display correctly on a large screen device [but this will still be restricted to portrait format only at this time]
      • Enabling access to a specific set of Tablet devices that we have been able to test against.
      This leaves me to believe that you may well be able to watch 1080i quality videos if your tablet supports it. However the tablet which you have linked to above only supports an 800x480 screen, so HD will not be available to you with this device.

Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by franktouch View Post
      Will I be able to use sky go properly on something like this? what about HD content
      9″ Android 4.2 Tablet PC 16GB A13 All Winner | Touch Tablet - 7" A13 Android 4.0 Allwinner
      I have no proof from sky that allwinner tablets will be supported or not supported but going from other providers then I would tend to say NO they will not be supported. The reason being is that your tabs use RockChip SOC (RK) and they don't run the same on an android OS built app. In other words a separate app is needed or a generic player like the media player the bbc has. Netflix has a app for RK devices done by customers who are developers. BT Sport is the same and don't run on RK devices, some have been able of sorts to get them to run but the rendering is bad and only shows in 4:3 thats compressed. On my other post I said about xbmc with neon and non-neon devices having different apps well its the same for android tabs and android tablets with RK devices.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Looks like we are getting accepted, sky go extra appearing as a free addon in mysky
      Scubbie likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast