Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree1Likes

Sky Go Q&A

This is a discussion on Sky Go Q&A within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; The Sky+ Beta group did seem a little disapointing as no major or minor bugs were found, but I think ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sky Go Q&A

The Sky+ Beta group did seem a little disapointing as no major or minor bugs were found, but I think that the process served more use for other reasons.

Normally Sky use their own forums to run the beta groups. This was run on the Google Groups forum and different management tools would have been available. With a nice short period, I suspect that someone will now be able to go back and report on how well the group worked and if this will be suitable for the Sky Go App now.

From what I have picked up on the Sky forums, Sky can pick up on trends and other things quite easily.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Yes, I'm sure you are right. Using Google+ allows them to just nominate who gets to download what as well as giving them access to the fancy control tools and other data.

The downside is that the "forum" aspect of Google Groups is rather rudimentary and more than a little confusing for people new to it.

Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

It'only going to run on Samsung, Asus, Nexus and Sony but which models nobody can tell us. Some makes can be worked out but others can't. With Nexus there is only 1 tab at present the Nexus 10, Sony only have 2 S & Z, Samsung have many OSG Tab 10.1, SG Tab 2 10.1, SG Note 10, SG Tab 3 10.1 plus a lot of other 7,8 inch tabs to boot, I have no idea how many Asus has, likewise can't find out if these smallers tabs will be included on this release. I think it will be more of an RC than a beta.
      Also I don't think there should be a problem in supporting most devices running 4.x.x and about after all the BBC and BT Sport already do this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I know that you are digging for more information Paul, but more than what was in the statemet I could not tell you even if I knew.

At this stage you know as much as I do.

@Restorer: The Google+ forum reminded me of Yahoo! Groups and their forums, but without all the extras. Otherwise yes they are pretty basic.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I would expect Sky to post an invitation to apply in a similar manner to how they posted for the recent Sky+ app (Android).

It would be pointless IMHO having a beta version if you do not intend to gather the feedback from those using it.

As for how the group will be run, I suspect that it will be similar to how they ran the Beta group for the Sky+ (Android) app.
      Using a google id as we did for the sky+ app would be the best way to deliver the app to beta users and its often done this way during any testing.
      I was not so sure about using Google groups, but everyone seemed to get on board with it. I have been involved in a similar way with Google groups before with other companies and it did not work well.
      One positive for me on the beta was that the sky+ team were very open and thankful to requests/ideas from beta users for the future of the sky+ app and there were some very interesting ideas from beta users that came through.
      Scubbie likes this.

Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Scubbie,
      No I'm not digging for more information from you at all lol, just airing some views et al. It's not fair asking mods/SU's to give out more than they able due to the NDA's in force. Everything I say is normally either in replying to other members or my own take on things.

jimroy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pendleton
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB box
      Thanks

I have Sky Go working on a Macbook running OS 10.7.5 (Lion). It works with live programme streaming but still freezes after 17 mins with On demand stuff. I've followed all the advice given re Silverlight options and browser settings but no joy. I've tried it with four different type browsers and have the same problem. I have noticed that with the latest update to Silverlight my Macbook Pro running Mountain Lion 10.8.4 does show up as being able to download the Sky Go Desktop now on the website but until I upgrade to Extra to add more devices I won't know for sure if it'll work. But I'm not prepared to pay any more for something which I have found very frustrating and limited in its use. As a Sky World HD and Fibre broadband customer i think I pay enough to Sky as it is. Any extras promoted in my package should just work seamlessly in my opinion.

Steele11 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Halfway
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: sky Q hub
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I have the same problem as you sky tell me it wont work on the Version “Mountain Lion” at all for the On demand.your Three options is Downgrade it to the “Snow Leopard” or boot camp windows 7 You mentioned the downward feature sky go Desktop it work for me If you call Sky you might give you a discount if you tell them what the problem is working on ur system this and I still haven't had an update on this from sky

It will only work on Version 10.6: “Snow Leopard”

jimroy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pendleton
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB box
      Thanks

Thanks for your info and advice. I'll give them a try.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12