Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Paul1360

Testing on new devices progresses...

This is a discussion on Testing on new devices progresses... within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Some good news is on its way for some people out there. Sky are currently testing Sky Go on: Samsung ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Testing on new devices progresses...

Some good news is on its way for some people out there.

Sky are currently testing Sky Go on:

• Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3
      • Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
      • Sony Xperia SP

Providing that everything goes well, they plan on releasing a suitable update towards the end of this month.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Testing on new devices progresses...

Scubbie,
      4 weeks to test and support a new device is a bit OTT don't you think?
      dog-man likes this.

Thanks

I think that you will find that the testing started a little while ago in secret.

However, there is some positive news to take from this information:

• After a lot of criticism, the team are starting to open up at last
      • Owners of these devices will hopefully be able to watch Sky Go by the end of this month on them
      • The team are working to increase the number of supported devices and haven't left Sky Go for the Android market alone

As for the testing, I hope that it is now limited to ensuring that the picture quality is alright, the updaed code doesn't mess up other devices and that the annoying copyprotection systems in place still work.

BTW: For those who were not already aware, support for Android 4.2 has already been added.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Scubbie,
      So it may be longer than 4 weeks to test and support new devices lol only sky can take that long. TBH I will not be holding my breath that it will not mess up other devices, the last time they did something like this the razr i was over 12 weeks before they got it right.
      I think you may mean that JB 4.3 is now supported ???.
      Sky have a lot of work to do just to catch up with this new tab only app not only picture quality, we already know the UI will stay the same as all other android devices until Summer 2014, so thats 1 black mark already, it will also be interesting to see if the streams will now be in HD, Oh sorry I forgot sky can't do HD streams for sky go like BT and Eurosport does due to the files being huge lol.
      Time will tell.

Thanks

Hello Paul1360,

I did mean 4.3, sorry. 4.2 is also supported too

I see that the BT Sport app isn't 100% right either though. From what I have heard, they experienced bandwidth issues on launch night and an update was released the very next morning. So they still have some work to do as well.

As for what may happen in the future for Sky Go, I trust that you have looked at '1 Mainstream'. This potentially could help sky Go a great deal. It will probably take around a year to get integrated into the app though.

There have been some positive organisational changes within Sky surrounding the support forums, Sky website and Sky Go. These are already being noticed but it will take time.

Thanks

Scubbie,
      Phew glad you meant jb 4.3 lol
      Yes on launch night they had to turn the gas up, I think it was due to it being free for all as it's not happen since. Yes there are a few bugs in their app which are crazy when you get them lol, the app is supported on rooted tabs but not phones, some devices will run on ics 4.0.4 and others will not, there'a crazy bug that pops up on ch1 that only affect sg tab 2 10.1's and no other but not all have it, bt are working their way to sorting them out. The app itself is slick, smooth and of an awesome quality of streams it really is.
      The update bt put out was at around 7pm on launch night and it was for Nexus devices running JB 4.3 that for some reason was over looked, it took then around 4hrs to sort it (not 4 weeks lol). As I said sky have to go some to be on a par with the bt app.
      Yes I j6st read up about 1 mainstream, looks good but can't see the need for it to be added to the app taking a year from the look of it sky can use it right away. I don't see the need to spend that amount of money when Google Android Studio does the same thing and it's free lol
      I've noticed things are changing on the forum. Hopefully they will make sure the CC's have a basic knowledge of what they are there for lol

Thanks

Please remember that the content available through each app is not subject to identicle T&Cs, contracts, international agreements, etc., etc..

One prime example would be The Simpsons. This is just not available to watch on Sky Go and is blocked. I guess that the agreement was signed up to a few years ago now. There are other programmes which are also unable to be shown.

As for HD on Sky Go, this is something more for the latest devices. Again, just guessing, but this is where the new people on the block have the advantage. Sky can't just go back to all their supplyings and renegotiate all the different deals they have with every single provider everytime a new product comes out. The deal for F1 is for six years, for example.

As for the knowledge of the people who work for Sky on the forums, I think you are now boardering on insulting them. I think it best to end this now.

Thanks

Scubbie,
      I'm not insulting anyone.
      As for the t&c's and drm yes I agree every provider have different 1's they have to abide to. Having said that a large part of the customer base want to watch sport on their tabs and yet even tho ios have seperate apps for news and sport which are both very good and skys android customers want parity with these ios apps on android but sky will not move forward for tabs and the reason they give is that the fontent providers will not allow then to show sports and news on large android tabs and that's where it all gets crazy as the content provider is bskyb. lol

Thanks

A small group, including myself, visited Sky last month and amongst the conversations was the Sky Go app. Without going into detail, there are a lot of things which are happening behind the scenes. I believe that those present were left in a positive frame for the future.

As for statements supporting this from Sky, there are several which I have tried to cross post on this forum. The first post was composed by myself based upon the information which we were allowed to post, hence no link to a post on the Sky forum. Here is that post:

Sky Help Forum - Sky Go Android Device Testing Update - 01/08/2013 - Help & Support from the Official Sky Forum

Other statements have been made by Sky, which have been cross posted on this forum too, specifically regarding the development of Sky go for the Android Tablets. The original posts appear here:

Sky Help Forum - Sky Go Statement - Alun Webber (Managing Director ... - Help & Support from the Official Sky Forum

The edit in the first post was for a spelling mistake which was corrected, nothing more. The edit for the 2nd post, I hadn't cross posted, explains a little more about what was meant by the display of the application.

Just to clarify, here is Sky's words about the future development plans for Sky Go for Android Tablets:

Phase 1 - Interim Solution for Tablets

• Creating a tablet specific application that runs on Android 4.0 and above
      • Integrating this application with a different streaming technology that supports higher resolution streams, suitable for large-screen devices
      • Modifying the application code such that it will display correctly on a large screen device [but this will still be restricted to portrait format only at this time]
      • Enabling access to a specific set of Tablet devices that we have been able to test against.

Phase 2 - Integrated Solution

• Integrating the above changes into a single application shared with other Android devices.
      • Removing the ‘Tablet only’ application.

Phase 3 - Complete Solution

• Rewriting the application code to enable it to automatically scale to the screen sizes
      • Developing a landscape implementation of the UI
      • Improved UI

Our current estimated timing for these phases is as follows:
      Phase 1: Customer Beta by end September. Launch early November
      Phase 2: Customer Beta January 2014
      Phase 3: Early Summer 2014
      ...and the additional bit which was added:

Addendum July 31st
      Apologies for the ambiguity in the my post yesterday. Video playback will be in landscape, it is only UI that will (in phase 1 & 2) be in portrait. Some people have also questioned what it is we have said we will release in November. It will be a fully tested, QC, and trialled release. The customer beta in September will also have been tested prior to release, but there may still be some issues that we have not yet found. Exposing it to a larger group of people will hopefully assure us (or not) that this isn't the case.

I have not forgotten about the other actions I committed to. We are still working on how we provide clearer communications to you, and our colleagues who support these forums, but I didn't want to delay the update on Tablet support to wait for this. If you have any specific ideas about what you would most appreciate, I would be interested to hear them. Now that we have a clear plan on Tablet support, the teams will start to firm up our plan about how we do better around new OS and new device releases.