Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree2Likes
    • 1 Post By benaline
    • 1 Post By Paul1360

sky go(ne)!

This is a discussion on sky go(ne)! within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; After putting up with the dreadfully imbalanced service from sky go in terms of the poor quality and service they ...

benaline is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

sky go(ne)!

After putting up with the dreadfully imbalanced service from sky go in terms of the poor quality and service they offer to us evil bad android users. I've put my money where my mouth is (or put my money back into my pocket!) and cancelled my tv package

The person on the other end was very friendly about it, and, after offering me a few deals that interested me not, including embarrassingly reminding me I would lose SKY GO, did the deed!

I am now free (well, in 31 days!)

awful service with regards to Sky go. won't supply to people with HDMI out, or to people who choose to root their devices. Appalling. Will likely leave sky completely once all my other incentives on the broadband run out.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: sky go(ne)!

awful service with regards to Sky go. won't supply to people with HDMI out,
      That's not strictly true, HDMI out works with Sky Go on a laptop or even a PC.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That's not strictly true, HDMI out works with Sky Go on a laptop or even a PC.
      Oh OK sure, I meant people on android, as that was where my beef was with them. Wouldn't ever work on my rooted nexus 7 or my Asus transformer (allegedly because it has HDMI out)

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by benaline View Post
      Oh OK sure, I meant people on android, as that was where my beef was with them. Wouldn't ever work on my rooted nexus 7 or my Asus transformer (allegedly because it has HDMI out)
      Anbody know if it works on a Rasberry Pi? There as two operating systems available Linux on which I am fairly sure it will not work, as Moonlight the open source version of Silverlight does not contain the Microsoft DRM module, and Android.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Anbody know if it works on a Rasberry Pi? There as two operating systems available Linux on which I am fairly sure it will not work, as Moonlight the open source version of Silverlight does not contain the Microsoft DRM module, and Android.
      I work with some developers who test many broadcasting app solutions with Linux, amongst other platforms.
      Sky go does not work out of the box with Linux, using Moonlight (the linux silverlight alternative).
      There have been some tweaks that have enabled other broadcasting services that use Silverlight to run and also solutions that use Wine, but not really ideal.
      But I am told you may want to look at xbmc as there are some working solutions there.

Silverlight can be a painful cross platform challenge at times, but it does hold a lot of back end control that helps the broadcasters.

Also, the reason sky go, like many broadcasting apps on tablet and phone devices is disabled through hdmi and jailbroken/rooted devices is down to rights issues. Sky and many worldwide broadcasters all take this stance, dependent on what the content owner states, whether it be a film studio or sports organisation.
      The new BT sport app will be using Silverlight on the PC.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      Also, the reason sky go, like many broadcasting apps on tablet and phone devices is disabled through hdmi and jailbroken/rooted devices is down to rights issues. Sky and many worldwide broadcasters all take this stance, dependent on what the content owner states, whether it be a film studio or sports organisation.
      The new BT sport app will be using Silverlight on the PC.
      This is more the problem than a legitimate reason. I as the consumer am being overlooked. I just want to be able to watch TV on my device. It's just TV. DRM only hurts the paying customer, and restricts what they can do. My routed nexus 7 is great. I have no plans to do anything "wrong" with it. I can just do more, and I have more control, I can install a proper firewall to prevent all those dodgy apps from collecting spurious data.. That media companies see this as a threat is what is wrong with media companies. I won't accept being told what I can do, especially if I have paid for it. Force me into which device to buy to suit your business model, errm, no thanks, I'd rather not have your business model!. DRM is the problem. Greed is the problem. This is just light entertainment. I won't be treated like I'm doing something wrong when i want to watch tv. I'm out!
      lincoln likes this.

Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Thanks

benaline,
      You are not the only customer that has got rid of sky over this android farce and a lot others have removed packs also. I removed 1 a week ago after their big update means nothing and I told him the reason was sky go and he told me to hang until Friday as a big update was coming and
      I will then be happy, he must not have got the memo lol.
      How odd it is that bbc,itv,ch4,ch5 & tesco can support 10" tabs and BT can develop 1 in around 8/10 weeks but sky can't in 2 years!!
      iechyd da
      lincoln likes this.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yep, couldn't agree more, and add catchuptv to that list. Awesome service for quite some time now on android and others, and probably achieved on a much much smaller budget...but with a good heart!

Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Thanks

Filmon is another cracker and in HD lol, I've given up on sky ever supporting 10"android tabs and the way things are now I'm not bother if they do it tomorrow as it will only be in SD and got used to watching sky in HD now so will not go back to SD lol
      iechyd da