Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.


    Advertisement

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 11
    Like Tree1Likes

    Any news on tablet support for Sky Go

    This is a discussion on Any news on tablet support for Sky Go within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, I've recently bought a Galaxy Note 10.1 which I've found brilliant - including iplayer, netflix, youtube, browsing, note taking, ...

    1. #1
      planetf1's Avatar
      planetf1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Posts
      8
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Any news on tablet support for Sky Go

      Hi,
      I've recently bought a Galaxy Note 10.1 which I've found brilliant - including iplayer, netflix, youtube, browsing, note taking, but no sky go in sight for it (yet this does work on my Galaxy S3)

      Any news on supporting tablets? Android tablets are now significantly increasing market share & other providers are providing good applications for the platform.

      - - - Updated - - -

      To add - would be good to have sky race control too


    2. Advertisement
    3. #2
      indefatigable's Avatar
      indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Posts
      568
      Thanks
      2
      Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts

      Re: Any news on tablet support for Sky Go

      Not yet. Still the issue of HDMI out on Android to worry about. Even on tablets without HDMI out there is still a video out option. I hate to say it, but it's easier to lock that functionality on Crapple products hence why it is on the iPaidTooMuchForMyTablet!

    4. #3
      Restorer's Avatar
      Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Posts
      362
      Thanks
      30
      Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

      Re: Any news on tablet support for Sky Go

      Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      Not yet. Still the issue of HDMI out on Android to worry about. Even on tablets without HDMI out there is still a video out option.
      As of course does just about every netbook and laptop out there and Sky are perfectly happy to let Sky Go run on these. Just out of interest has anyone ever heard an official argument to answer this point? I know Sky always blames this HDMI-out nonsense on their content providers but so what if a few people want to watch what will be pretty poor quality pictures on a larger display? They have paid their subs! I have heard it said they are worried about piracy but who in their right minds would want to pirate sub-SD resolution images?

    5. #4
      indefatigable's Avatar
      indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Posts
      568
      Thanks
      2
      Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts

      Re: Any news on tablet support for Sky Go

      Quote Originally Posted by Restorer View Post
      As of course does just about every netbook and laptop out there and Sky are perfectly happy to let Sky Go run on these. Just out of interest has anyone ever heard an official argument to answer this point? I know Sky always blames this HDMI-out nonsense on their content providers but so what if a few people want to watch what will be pretty poor quality pictures on a larger display? They have paid their subs! I have heard it said they are worried about piracy but who in their right minds would want to pirate sub-SD resolution images?
      Someone who wants to pirate but doesn't have a lot of hard drive space? Not everyone can have 10TB of storage on their computers to store 4K videos of everything (exaggerating for dramatic effect before anything is said).

      Sky, as one of the biggest content providers and creators in the UK, will do anything and everything to halt piracy. It doesn't matter what level of piracy may occur, they are perfectly within their rights to do anything they can to halt it or at least slow it down. They are also obliged by the other content providers to do this.

      Sky Go is FREE to TV subscribers. They DO NOT pay for it, and the ones that do have agreed to terms and conditions that prevent it anyway. So argue all you want about the laptop/netbook thing, and about piracy, but legally Sky are doing everything right.

    6. #5
      NewsreadeR's Avatar
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      St Helens
      Posts
      22,227
      Thanks
      108
      Thanked 390 Times in 314 Posts
      Blog Entries
      48

      Re: Any news on tablet support for Sky Go

      The other reason I would guess at.

      If you have output to a TV then people would then drop their Multiroom subs. Why would anyone pay Multiroom and have an extra box, when they could get all the content they need on another device. Sky are not that stupid to lose millions by giving into the minority.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

    7. #6
      Restorer's Avatar
      Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Posts
      362
      Thanks
      30
      Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

      Re: Any news on tablet support for Sky Go

      Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      The other reason I would guess at.

      If you have output to a TV then people would then drop their Multiroom subs. Why would anyone pay Multiroom and have an extra box, when they could get all the content they need on another device. Sky are not that stupid to lose millions by giving into the minority.
      You miss my point. The fact is you can output to TV as things stand now. Just about any laptop you can find is able to do TV out. If people want to drop their multiroom subs and have the hassle of hooking Sky Go up to a TV then they can do that now right now. Why deny the service to the millions of us with non-Apple tablets who want to use the Sky Go service as it was intended The only logical answer is "Because they can".

    8. #7
      NewsreadeR's Avatar
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      St Helens
      Posts
      22,227
      Thanks
      108
      Thanked 390 Times in 314 Posts
      Blog Entries
      48

      Re: Any news on tablet support for Sky Go

      Why deny the service to the millions of us with non-Apple tablets who want to use the Sky Go service as it was intended The only logical answer is "Because they can".
      Because they cannot disable the TV out side of things probably, I am sure once they get around that issue, Sky will launch it.

      They are not doing it just so people get peed off with it, there will be a logical reason, or because of demand from the Content owners etc / Licensing. Maybe they have an exclusive deal with Apple just like o2 did initially?

      No one knows the proper reason.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

    9. #8
      Restorer's Avatar
      Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Posts
      362
      Thanks
      30
      Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

      Re: Any news on tablet support for Sky Go

      Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      Someone who wants to pirate but doesn't have a lot of hard drive space? Not everyone can have 10TB of storage on their computers to store 4K videos of everything (exaggerating for dramatic effect before anything is said).

      Sky, as one of the biggest content providers and creators in the UK, will do anything and everything to halt piracy. It doesn't matter what level of piracy may occur, they are perfectly within their rights to do anything they can to halt it or at least slow it down. They are also obliged by the other content providers to do this.

      Sky Go is FREE to TV subscribers. They DO NOT pay for it, and the ones that do have agreed to terms and conditions that prevent it anyway. So argue all you want about the laptop/netbook thing, and about piracy, but legally Sky are doing everything right.
      You are either unbelievably naive about the illegal content that is easily available out there (in file sizes from a couple of hundred MB right up to 50GB Blu-Ray) or you are taking the mick . And none of the pirated stuff is evenly remotely connected with whether or not Sky Go can be displayed on a TV screen .

    10. #9
      Tezcatlipoca's Avatar
      Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Feb 2007
      Location
      Cambridge
      Posts
      855
      Thanks
      13
      Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts

      Re: Any news on tablet support for Sky Go

      Quote Originally Posted by planetf1 View Post
      Hi,
      I've recently bought a Galaxy Note 10.1 which I've found brilliant - including iplayer, netflix, youtube, browsing, note taking, but no sky go in sight for it (yet this does work on my Galaxy S3)

      Any news on supporting tablets? Android tablets are now significantly increasing market share & other providers are providing good applications for the platform.

      - - - Updated - - -

      To add - would be good to have sky race control too
      I wouldn't call it "significantly". The iPad still sells far more than all other tablets combined, and the best-selling non-Apple tablet still doesn't come anywhere near the iPad in terms of sales.

      Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      Not yet. Still the issue of HDMI out on Android to worry about. Even on tablets without HDMI out there is still a video out option. I hate to say it, but it's easier to lock that functionality on Crapple products hence why it is on the iPaidTooMuchForMyTablet!
      "iPaidTooMuchForMyTablet"? The iPad is the one Apple product that *isn't* overpriced. *All* other "high-end" tablets (Galaxy Tab 10.1, Xoom, Sony Tablet S, TouchPad, PlayBook, etc. etc.) launched at around the same price as the iPad (some at exactly the same price). The fact that some of them are now a lot cheaper (PlayBook, Xoom) or dead (RIP TouchPad) is due to them failing miserably. They couldn't compete with the iPad when sold at the same price, so they had price cut after price cut after price cut (look at the price of the PlayBook now!)... but even then, they still aren't selling so well compared to the iPad, especially when you consider how cheap some are.

      I don't think it's just HDMI out that's the issue with Android - fragmentation is also a bigger problem with Android than with iOS. ICS (already superseded by JB) is finally starting to take off, but the majority of Android devices are still on Gingerbread. Far more hardware and software variation with Android tablets than with the iPad.

    11. #10
      Restorer's Avatar
      Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Posts
      362
      Thanks
      30
      Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

      Re: Any news on tablet support for Sky Go

      Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Because they cannot disable the TV out side of things probably, I am sure once they get around that issue, Sky will launch it.

      They are not doing it just so people get peed off with it, there will be a logical reason, or because of demand from the Content owners etc / Licensing. Maybe they have an exclusive deal with Apple just like o2 did initially?

      No one knows the proper reason.
      Indeed I agree. There has to be a reason. I just would like to know what it is because none of the ones we might speculate on makes any sense . One thing's for sure it cannot be the exclusive deal with Apple or there would be no Android devices getting the app. Paradoxically my best hope is that it is indeed down to existing deals with certain of these content providers. At least when negotiations next come up Sky can be arguing more forcibly on behalf of its customers.
      NewsreadeR likes this.

     

     
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2020. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION