Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Player Buffering on XBOX 360.

This is a discussion on Sky Player Buffering on XBOX 360. within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I wonder if anyone can help me.... I use Sky Player on my Xbox 360 to watch films & live ...

AirZeee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Truro
      Broadband ISP: BTinfinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Player Buffering on XBOX 360.

I wonder if anyone can help me....
      I use Sky Player on my Xbox 360 to watch films & live TV. The Xbox is connected to my router by cable, not by wifi.

I changed broadband service from Sky to BT Infinity2 today, speedtest.net is now measuring approx 48Mbps down, compared to 7.9Mbps Max achieved on Sky BB.
      Watching a movie was fine on Sky BB, it would usually buffer once at the beginning of the movie & that would be it.
      This morning I confirmed Sky Player worked ok on the XBox, however this evening trying to watch the rest of the film, or infact any other movie on demand, has been just about impossible, as it keeps stopping to buffer. Streaming Live TV appears to work just fine.

I though perhaps things might have slowed down due to everyone coming home from work & getting online for the weekend, although I've just downloaded a 1.65Gb file in 19mins, so I know the connection is working ok.

Ravi on Sky Help/Chat told me that deleting sky player & reinstalling it should work (by clearing out the temp files etc). Needless to say this had no effect at all and the problem remains.
      Has anyone else experieced a similar problem, or does anyone have any advice? (Other than changing back to Sky BB..)

Cheers!

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Sky Player Buffering on XBOX 360.

Further: Currently watching an uninterupted (at least not by buffering) movie on the XBox via Sky Player, 11:20 am. Curious...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I wonder if the time is relevant.

BT are known to throttle the speeds during the evenings and weekends because their backhaul would not otherwise cope with the volume of traffic. I would imagine that Friday evening is the busiest.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Further (more): 11:45, buffering again... I guess people are waking up. Speedtest 39Mbps Down, 11Mbps Up, ping 10ms. Contension ratio's on Sky Player perhaps?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I agree with Scubbie, its probably a form of Virginitis, ie, not enough backhaul to satisfy demand at peak times. Maybe you should raise it with Infinity. It is unlikely to be a Sky Player problem, but you might also try BBC iPlayer when you have the problem to see if you get the same result.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I agree with Scubbie, its probably a form of Virginitis, ie, not enough backhaul to satisfy demand at peak times. Maybe you should raise it with Infinity. It is unlikely to be a Sky Player problem, but you might also try BBC iPlayer when you have the problem to see if you get the same result.
      Thanks for the suggestions. I'm currently stress testing the connection: Downloading 1.65 Gb File, Iplayer streaming to ipad, and trying to watch a movie via Sky Player on the Xbox. Sky player is the only application which is struggling/buffering. i've had no problem with gaming connections either.
      speedtest.net results have dropped as one would expect.
      My suspicion is that Sky prioritise the SkyPlayer service to Sky BB customers, as I never had this problem while they were my ISP.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

The recent Sky Routers do have a QoS setup to prioritise the traffic from the Sky+ HD STB. I would not be surprised if there was also something setup for Sky Player. The quote below is from another thread discussing Anytime+ for the Sky+ HD STB. They may help if you were to add some suitable rules to your router for the STB, but I suspect that you will have to monitor your LAN's traffic to find similar information for the Sky Player service:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-a...tml#post318936
      Quote Originally Posted by launter View Post
      Edit-got it working , my log showed udp ports 3700,6890,2489,3623,53,2680,4705,67 and tcp 80, ICMP type 8. Forwarded them and now it works a treat
      If you do identify the ports, please do post them.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

My suspicion is that Sky prioritise the SkyPlayer service to Sky BB customers, as I never had this problem while they were my ISP.
      That's a possibility, but I doubt it. What sort of result do you get using SkyGo on the iPad?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That's a possibility, but I doubt it. What sort of result do you get using SkyGo on the iPad?
      Currently watching Apollo 18 on Xbox & Laptop (SkyGo) simultaneously - so far no buffering at all 17minutes in. Perhaps it's a demand issue - too many people accessing the same files at the server at the same time?

I was expecting some fluctuation in speed while the connection finds it's stable rate, but that should be affecting everything, not just one application through a particular device.