Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sky Go & ICS

This is a discussion on Sky Go & ICS within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Originally Posted by Scubbie Same here. Sky has really been messing around their customers with this application just so that ...

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Go & ICS

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Same here.

Sky has really been messing around their customers with this application just so that they can lock down so many features.

Just to rub salt into the wounds, the Sky+ app will be updated for the iPad first, yet again, so that it can control the Sky+ STB. I trust that Apple are paying for this preferential treatment?
      Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      I have two trains of thought on this, firstly there are less apple devices so it isn't that hard for them to do this but with Android while I can understand that these things take time the complete lack of information from Sky only serves to get people's backs up even more. It seems that Sky are forever playing catch up with this with the next version Jelly Bean out pretty soon and they are already telling people not to update their devices. I just can't see a time where they will ever catch up.

Although Android has a greater overall share of the entire mobile device market than iOS has, iOS has a far greater share of the actual tablet market.

iOS has far less fragmentation than Android, and the %age of iOS devices running the latest version of the OS is far higher than that for Android devices.

The most popular version of Android is still Gingerbread (64%), with only 10.9% of Android users running ICS.

There is also far more hardware variation with Android devices, compared to iOS devices.

So what's easier to do first? Develop an app for a platform with little hardware variation and OS fragmentation, or develop an app for a platform with high levels of hardware variation and OS fragmentation?

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

..... and HTC have said that the desire hd will not get ICS. Just goes to show how complex android updates can be to implement let alone build apps for.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The thing is with my device I had the unofficial app working on it and it was working very well until Sky found a way of disabling it so it can not be that hard to provide an official app. It seems the main sticking point is that they have to disable the hdmi ports on the phone as they do not have the rights to allow the port to be used when connected to a television.

Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      The thing is with my device I had the unofficial app working on it and it was working very well until Sky found a way of disabling it so it can not be that hard to provide an official app. It seems the main sticking point is that they have to disable the hdmi ports on the phone as they do not have the rights to allow the port to be used when connected to a television.
      The last 2 updates for IOS and Android have included so many lock downs on them it's beyond a joke and hence all the problems customers are getting and boy oh boy are there problems and once again sky have put their heads in the sand and are telling customers it's their equipment that's at fault and not the app's which is very odd as different customers have the same bugs. The Tom Tom drums are saying that Sky may be in a bit of bother over this HDMI out stance.
      iechyd da

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123