Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Sky Go Outrage!

This is a discussion on Sky Go Outrage! within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I backup my phone,tab,ipad, lap/desk top every 14 days. Better to be safe than sorry. Iechyd da...

Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Go Outrage!

I backup my phone,tab,ipad, lap/desk top every 14 days. Better to be safe than sorry.
      Iechyd da

2. Advertisement
      highdef is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01444
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Great news. There has just been an update on android 4 (ics) we now have sky go. Pass the word around folks

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      Whilst ICS is the latest, how many people actually upgrade their firmware (I mean in reality as opposed to perception). There will be lots of people out there who never upgrade software etc. Therefore Gingerbread etc may still be the most popular firmware on the most popular android phones. Early adopters are always known to pay a price in one form or another until the FW/SW becomes common place. Just playing devils advocate.
      Gingerbread is by far the most popular.

I posted earlier in the thread that only 7.1% of Android users actually have version 4.0.x (Ice Cream Sandwich), compared to 65% using version 2.3.x (Gingerbread). Those were the numbers for June.

As of 2nd July, it is now 10.9% for ICS and 64% for Gingerbread: https://developer.android.com/about/...rds/index.html

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
      Gingerbread is by far the most popular.

I posted earlier in the thread that only 7.1% of Android users actually have version 4.0.x (Ice Cream Sandwich), compared to 65% using version 2.3.x (Gingerbread). Those were the numbers for June.

As of 2nd July, it is now 10.9% for ICS and 64% for Gingerbread: https://developer.android.com/about/...rds/index.html
      Nobody argues with those figures. Of course Gingerbread is still the predominant OS! My own phone (Desire HD) won't even receive its official update to 4.0 until sometime next month.

The point is Sky is infuriating its customers who are updating their devices or taking updates and finding they can no longer get the service. The Sky developers really need to keep up - especially now if they expect to be attracting new tech-savvy customers to their NOW-TV service.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Restorer View Post
      Nobody argues with those figures. Of course Gingerbread is still the predominant OS! My own phone (Desire HD) won't even receive its official update to 4.0 until sometime next month.

The point is Sky is infuriating its customers who are updating their devices or taking updates and finding they can no longer get the service. The Sky developers really need to keep up - especially now if they expect to be attracting new tech-savvy customers to their NOW-TV service.
      Tech Savy people are surely not the demographic that will use NOWTV. Marketing is a very important part of a business and its the market research that dictates where investment is made and what priority is given to development. Why invest in new tech when it's not the prevelant tech used by its target customer base?

Yes, I'm sure it's infuriated people but has it infuriated most? It's also well known for tech savy people that if you adopt a new software then there's a chance that your existing addons will cease to work while companies play catch up.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Why invest in new tech when it's not the prevelant tech used by its target customer base?
      A good example of this is browsers.

You would be surprised how many people are still using IE6 and visit this site.

Short of us paying extra for us to get the site to render just for these users, there is not a lot we can do. If you are reading this on IE6 then perhaps an upgrade to at least 8 or 9 would be beneficial.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 20-07-12 at 10:56 PM.
      Restorer likes this.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

Yes, I'm sure it's infuriated people but has it infuriated most? It's also well known for tech savy people that if you adopt a new software then there's a chance that your existing addons will cease to work while companies play catch up.
      No - not most. Of course not most! What a daft thing to say. What do you think Sky is - a democracy or something ? For sure, as a long standing, 13-year top tier customer, I am infuriated. I have been thinking about trimming my TV package (to pay for my fibre ) and now most certainly will.

Do you really think Sky couldn't care less if they lose custom from people upgrading their phones and getting into non-Apple tablets?

I just think they got the whole approach totally wrong and for some reason are still being a lot less than open about any of it! This great song and dance over how hard it is to support Android has made them look totally foolish. Can you see any other supplier of media content to mobile devices failing in this way? To listen to their arguments it's like they are the only company in the world who have ever had to negotiate with content providers!

It is now over 12 months since Sky Go was released. Here we are finally with an ICS update but there is still no support for any of this year's HTC devices or any android tablets at all! Yes, we've heard why - too hard to disable HDMI-out. And yet you can register any tin-pot laptop or netbook to receive the service - no questions asked! It is this total lack of consistency that annoys me more even than getting the app on my Transformer Prime!

As for expecting to wait for companies to catch up with new tech, well I really wouldn't mind at all having to wait for my update so long as I knew it is on the way!

Wingco is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

SkyGo will connect and play via wifi but not without it. I get an error, "3g network usage is disabled Go to Menu Settings Network Preferences to enable streaming on 3g" Can anyone point me in the right direction on a Samsung Galaxy S2 please.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Can anyone point me in the right direction on a Samsung Galaxy S2 please.
      Follow these instructions.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Wingco is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

And I thought you were being so helpful

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast