Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Sky Go Outrage!

This is a discussion on Sky Go Outrage! within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; At the moment I didn't think anybody anywhere knows what's going on with Sky Go as per my post above. ...

Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Go Outrage!

At the moment I didn't think anybody anywhere knows what's going on with Sky Go as per my post above. The forum is even worst as they are now banning customers but alas customers don't know why because they send the reason by PM to your forum account I don't think they have worked out yet that you have no access to your forum account when you are banned from the forum. Way to go Sky
      iechyd da

2. Advertisement
      highdef is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01444
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Talk about slow! I hear Android will soon be rolling out Android 4.1 (Jellybean) So we wont have SkyGo for long.
      So I think its best just to forget about SkyGo on Android as its not going to happen. Once again priority is given to NOW the underdog Apple, as surveys have shown Android has toppled Apple in sales and popularity! & Sky still love the dreaded Apple.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Whilst what you are saying is true, Jelly Bean will initially only be available for the Nexus in the UK.

Whether or not Apple is the underdog, Sky appears to have a team of coders who work on the apple products first as they are a known quantity and then move on to the Android products.

I am not defending Sky's practise, just outlining it.

We are aware that they are locking out as many potential abilities as possible so that you can't connect a device to a TV or Monitor. It must be safe to assume that there are strong reasons for this behind the scenes. I would expect that these will be more related to lawyers than the potential for students connecting their tablets to monitors or TV in their dorms.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

I have come to it that it's a waste of time and effort to bother with anything Sky Go and NOWTV as sky are going to do what they want to do in the end and they are no longer interested in their customers but only in their bottom line PROFIT.

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1360 View Post
      I have come to it that it's a waste of time and effort to bother with anything Sky Go and NOWTV as sky are going to do what they want to do in the end and they are no longer interested in their customers but only in their bottom line PROFIT.
      Well that may well be a good thing for us since NOW-TV seems to be using the same system. The fact they are blocking out millions of potential new subscribers by not supporting Android properly may well dawn on them now the profit motive is stronger.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Restorer View Post
      Well that may well be a good thing for us since NOW-TV seems to be using the same system. The fact they are blocking out millions of potential new subscribers by not supporting Android properly may well dawn on them now the profit motive is stronger.
      TBH I don't think it will dawn on them as the right don't know what the left is doing, you still have sky people telling customers that android take up in the UK in very low (sky forum yesterday and today and on nowtv forum) and yet others saying “With the huge and ever-growing popularity of Android devices in the UK it’s fantastic to make on-demand content from Sky Movies and Sky Entertainment available to Sky customers for the first time". Even the reasons given as to why we can't use this phone/tablet or that tablet/phone is just the same. Customers get told that phone/tablet can't be used due to HDMI out on the device and it's not allowed by their content providers on sky go or nowtv and yet on the nowtv website it tells people in the HOW IT WORKS section, Watch on your TV by connecting your PC or Mac with the right cable.
      So with all that's seems to be going on who knows what sky will do next.
      iechyd da

Thanks

I think that this thread is getting a little long in the tooth. Reading some of the notes on the page linked below will provide the official line:

http://www.sky.com/mysky/mytv/skygo/blackout-messaging/

Why is Sky Go only available on selected HTC and Samsung smartphones?

The Android platform covers a wide range of devices that have differing hardware and versions of the Android operating system. We have to tailor the Sky Go app for each smartphone to ensure our customers with these handsets get the optimum Sky Go experience which takes considerable time to build and test before we can release it. Factors we need to consider include:

HDMI out - The majority of new Android smartphones include the option to plug your phone into your TV through your HDMI port. We have to disable this feature so that we do not breach our contracts with content providers, and the process for doing this is different for each model.

Screen resolutions
      - Each device has a different screen resolution which we need to optimise in order to deliver the best picture quality on each device.

Media Player
      - There are several different built in media players. We must adjust our content stream in order to provide an optimum stream with minimal disruption.

Given these constraints, we have chosen to launch on a selection of the most popular Android smartphones based on their sales volumes to ensure as many Sky TV customers as possible can enjoy Sky Go.

We are aware of unofficial versions of Sky Go for Android devices. Please note that these will not be supported by Sky.
      I am aware of the irony in the piece about ICS on the same page too:

We are working hard to ensure we can support new versions of the Android operating system, including the new "Ice Cream Sandwich" (v4.0). At present Sky Go is supported on the most commonly used and latest Android operating systems 2.2 and 2.3.
      ICS is the latest firmware for many of the phones listed as supported and Gingerbread (2.2 & 2.3) is not the latest version. With the next version waiting in the winds to be rolled out to all the different smart phones, we all know that Sky will be playing catchup yet again.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      mware for many of the phones listed as supported and Gingerbread (2.2 & 2.3) is not the latest version. With the next version waiting in the winds to be rolled out to all the different smart phones, we all know that Sky will be playing catchup yet again.
      Whilst ICS is the latest, how many people actually upgrade their firmware (I mean in reality as opposed to perception). There will be lots of people out there who never upgrade software etc. Therefore Gingerbread etc may still be the most popular firmware on the most popular android phones. Early adopters are always known to pay a price in one form or another until the FW/SW becomes common place. Just playing devils advocate.

Thanks

True as ever Scubbie we are all saying the same things but in a different way and if we are not carefull we could end up like Zebedee, Brian or Dylan. I never knew how many blackouts there are.
      Iechyd da

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      Whilst ICS is the latest, how many people actually upgrade their firmware (I mean in reality as opposed to perception). There will be lots of people out there who never upgrade software etc...
      Whilst I knew of ICS, I didn't realise that it was coming to my phone when it did.

How I got it was by connecting my phone to my Laptop in order to back up the settings using the software supplied (Kies).

I would always encourage people to backup the settings on their phones, including any contacts, etc. Just how many actually do this isn't known to myself. Kies also allows people to copy music to the phone and copy their photos off. When taking these into account, there is likely to be quite a few more people who will be getting the upgrade.

The prompt I received was essentially blocking me from doing anything else and it was phrased as an update, rather than a complete revision.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast