Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Sky Go Outrage!

This is a discussion on Sky Go Outrage! within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Originally Posted by indefatigable The Sky Go service is free for Sky TV subscribers. As in you DO NOT PAY ...

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Go Outrage!

Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      The Sky Go service is free for Sky TV subscribers. As in you DO NOT PAY FOR IT! The only people that pay for it are non-TV subscribers. It's available on multiple platforms, so saying that someone does not have access to it is not an excuse. Sure, having it on you're phone is nice but that is just one outlet.

And as for the comment about blocking the APK, you do realise that the code and the content for Sky Go is Skys intellectual property. Those people who put the APK up for download and modified the code so that it would work are doing something illegal. Even if they didn't alter the app they still hosted it on an unlicensed website. Companies spend millions each year protecting their property. Games, Movies, Music. All with DRM so that the companies who actually make the product do not lose out. Therefore Sky have every right to want to monitor it and place restrictions on it as they see fit. I'm surprised to see that some of the mods here were so casual about handing out the information as to where you can download it.

With regards to the phones in the top 10, most of the ones that don't already have Sky Go are those with ICS on them as standard. I can tell you for a fact that the main ones (HTC One X, Nexus) are going to be included in the update by the end of this month. The S3 is new but is likely being tested now so that may be included. ICS is different from Gingerbread or Froyo, and until recently it was not the most popular version of the OS. It's only just passed 10% install over all devices in the world. There was not that big of a rush for Sky as they would only have been providing for a niche area. So yeah, it would have been nicer to have it out a couple of months ago, but it's coming now so be happy.
      Interesting, as Sky's staunchest defender on this matter around here, you have chosen not to come back on any of the points I made regarding your surprise about why people are annoyed over this whole sorry affair (see my post #16).

I accept the points you make concerning the hacked apk but that was born out of sheer frustration. And whether you consider Sky Go to be free or not is just a sideshow. I'm not too bothered either about the way they have been dragging their feet over ICS and this year's devices, though a bit more transparency would have made them look less silly - especially in their own help forum.

That said, many of us with officially supported HTC devices have been happily watching the official Sky Go app for several months on our rooted phones by applying a small workaround - to our own OS, not Sky's apk! But now it seems a bit of criticism has stung the Sky developers into spending the last several months doing everything they can think of to lock out rooted devices.

What a pity they couldn't have used just some of that energy in developing a decent app that worked well across the whole Android system instead of trying to beat down the tiny, tiny number of us who (perfectly legally and ethically) prefer to have administrative rights over our own operating system. I call that just plain mean .
      Last edited by Restorer; 06-07-12 at 02:27 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Restorer For This Useful Post:

dog-man (06-07-12)

3. Advertisement
      Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Restorer,
      Very good post and yes it does seem crazy to lots of sky customers that their dev team has spent more time locking down the app and not improving it which they have not not done to either app, in fact the i app still has all the bugs from before + new one's, the android app well we know about that, they just don't seem interested in their customers no matter what they say.
      Iechyd da

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Restorer View Post
      The real source of the anger revolves around the timescale and the song and dance Sky are making over it all. The app has been available to Apple users for virtually a full year now. It was launched July 6th last year. Sky took a further 7.5 months to produce the promised Android version which would then would only work on a half dozen older handsets - and even then only if you turned down the latest updates. It's now over 4 months since the Android launch and still nothing has changed. As for Jelly Bean, the source code has already been published and it will be a good four months before it starts to appear on devices other than the Nexus 7. Yet what makes me think Sky Go will be nowhere near ready to provide customers with an update?

As for your point about how complex it is to write apps for the Android system, everyone accepts that. But please remember there are dozens of other major companies producing Android video apps out there who have managed to keep up and for whom DRM is equally important - from Netflix to the MLB, from HBO to BBC iPlayer. All have successfully embraced the Android "ecosystem" and managed to keep the apps coming as the OS evolves - and most importantly have not limited their apps to a handful of models!

You'd think Sky were some kind of pioneers in this field if you were to listen to their twaddle. And that is another source of the anger: they are simply incapable of giving customers a truthful response. The fact is all along they have, for one reason or another, got it badly wrong on the amount of development resources they needed for the android project. Now if they could just say that and give us some kind of clue when we might expect the ICS update ...........
      At the time of the Android App launch the most popular phones, that were guaranteed to support the app, were given access. This gave potential access to the largest group of customers. Other phones were not included due to varying reasons (not enough power, too small a screen, not popular enough, manufacturer skins affected the service etc).

I'm not going to respond to the question about other companies. I don't know what kind of budgets or development teams they have to ensure they can offer the service to so many devices. I don't know anything of how they operate internally so cannot possibly answer that, other than to maybe say that those services rely on being on so many devices whereas Sky Go doesn't.

Sky do not give out information regarding their products to the call centres until the week of it's release. Sometimes it's released before we even hear about it. More often than not a new product or service is announced on here before it's announced at work. So when you ask a call centre agent when something is coming, they don't know. They have no idea whatsoever. There will be rumours, there may be snippets of information gleamed from company news reports, but there will be no solid information until close to or after a product launch. Fact.

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Oh, and with regards to rooted devices, you need to look at the iOS app for an explanation. If you have a jailbroken iOS app then you can download an app from cydia or wherever which enables the Airplay and HDMI-out functionality for Sky Go. This means that they can connect it up to their TV and view the content. Now you may not think this is a big enough concern to lock down to app, but it is. This can lead to people ripping the content from Sky Go and uploading them to be shared. It's also a hit on their revenue as some people have replaced their multiroom boxes with this method. I personally know of 3 people who do this, one of whom has actually cancelled their bedroom multiroom box to use it. And why not? The app offers all the premium channels with only a couple of restrictions on the content. It's perfect for just connecting up.

So Sky lock down the app to prevent it from working over HDMI or Airplay. Perfectly understandable and reasonable reaction. I'm surprised that so many people are butthurt about no longer being able to do something that they aren't supposed to do in the first place. The comments made on this thread sound to me like someone who stole something from a shop complaining that they can't return it because they don't have a receipt.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

We understand all this, but when faced with a PC or Laptop which can also be connected to a TV and HT, I think that this is quite pointless.

If I were so inclined to watch Sky without a Multi-room subscription, I could easily connect up a PC or Laptop to my TV or monitor and watch the same things.

As for ripping off the content, there are other devices available. Admittedly these cost a little extra but people already own and use them. I don't personally do this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      Oh, and with regards to rooted devices, you need to look at the iOS app for an explanation. If you have a jailbroken iOS app then you can download an app from cydia or wherever which enables the Airplay and HDMI-out functionality for Sky Go. This means that they can connect it up to their TV and view the content. Now you may not think this is a big enough concern to lock down to app, but it is. This can lead to people ripping the content from Sky Go and uploading them to be shared. t.
      My friend, you really have to get real. Everything - and I mean everything - available to view on Sky Go is already being ripped and shared at a much higher quality than is available through this little app! This is exactly what we mean by frustration with Sky's nonsensical arguments. That boat has sailed. A long time ago. Blocking rooted devices and HDMI outs will achieve absolutely nothing to curb piracy and do everything to irritate customers who have already paid for this material. As Scubbie has already pointed out repeatedly in this thread and others, every modern laptop comes equipped with HDMI outputs. It makes no sense whatever to ban Sky Go from other devices with the same facility.

As an example of how mad I am about this, Sky Go is beautifully suited to my new Transformer Prime. But I'm told I will never get it - not because it runs ICS but because it has an HDMI port they can't be bothered to work out how to block. My laptop has an HDMI port too and that gets Sky Go fine though, in bright conditions, nowhere near as brilliantly as my tablet would.
      Last edited by Restorer; 06-07-12 at 05:02 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

But I'm told I will never get it - not because it runs ICS but because it has an HDMI port they can't be bothered to work out how to block.
      They managed it on the iPad.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

It's come to the point for me that when there is rugby on Sky Go I have never been able to watch a full game on my ipad due to the many bugs in the app, like Poor Playback Quality, A 3rd family member has logged onto sky go and kicks me off et al that I now what the rugby on black sites or whatever they are called totally error free and HD quality. Why do I do this, well just fed up with being fobbed off by Sky that it's everybody else's fault or 3rd party software, even my ipad but never ever Sky's fault and I'm not the only 1. like I have said on the Sky Customer Help Forum, Sky Go should be withdrawn as it's no longer fit for purpose but alas you can no longer say things like that on there as Sky now ban you from using the customer forum
      iechyd da

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      They managed it on the iPad.
      Haha. Indeed they did - and over 12 months ago now .

But of course that is one of their big excuses. Apple devices were easy for them. Different android hardware involves coming up with different software solutions. They do of course have a point though evidently not the manpower or even one suspects the inclination to deal with it.

highdef is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01444
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

They Sorted Apple / Iphone & Ipod. Why not Android.as far as I can see Android has now toppled Apple / Iphone in sales,

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast